VT Graduate Aerospace Reputation

Hi all,

I’m a senior undergraduate student who has applied to several graduate schools for a Master’s in Aerospace Engineering. One of the schools I am considering is Virginia Tech, which is ranked pretty highly according to US News (#11). Aside from that ranking, however, I was hoping some of you could tell me what the school’s reputation in the aerospace field generally is. Do aerospace graduates out of VT typically find jobs they like? Is it considered to be a program competitive with some of the top schools in the country, as US News rankings suggest? Are the facilities and professors excellent?

On top of that, if you have any general comments about the school, graduate program, campus, student life, etc. I’d love to hear them. I’m just trying to get a more in-depth look at all the schools I am considering.

Thanks!

Hi there,
I’m just a high school senior year who has applied to VT for an undergrad degree(eng), and I don’t know much about Aerospace, but I do know that VT has a respectable program in Aerospace! Have you seen the movie “October Sky”? Yes, Homer Hickam went to VT(probably for Aerospace) and then ended up at NASA! Plus Virginia Tech is great for a lot of other things as well and has a lot of good programs(not to mention the excellent campus). You can do anything at VT. Have fun applying!!!

In the QS world rankings it is ranked in the top 100 which is pretty good.

Comparing USNews to QS about half of the top 10 in USNews are top 10 in the world. After that there is significant drop off.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2018/engineering-mechanical

I can’t tell you anything specific about the VT program, but I can tell you that I work in northern Virginia and we have a lot of Va Tech aerospace grads in my office. If you have any plans to settle in northern Va, I can give you some contacts.