WA Residency for in-state-tuition -- how often do they check

Hi - my D started UW Seattle as a freshman in 2021. We have been WA residents for 20+ years (and my D was born here!). Now an exciting opportunity has opened up for me (Dad) in a different state and we are considering moving as a family, with D continuing in UWSeattle for her undergrad.

How/often does the WA residency test occur for in-state tuition purposes? Our address would change to a different state.

Thanks!
UWS Dad

My assumption would be that there’s no issue - your daughter has been approved up front.

However, a simple anonymous call to the aid office saying your student is a resident but the parents are leaving - will they retain residency - that will get you the right answer.

Unfortunately, this scenario is not on their FAQs.

Good luck.

Student Residency | WSAC does have a provision for recent high school graduates (see “Other ways to meet residency requirements”).

1 Like

Thanks! That was quick.

That link is gold. I see the following:

Recent high school graduates

Recent high school graduates whose parent(s) or legal guardian(s) moved out of Washington may be considered Washington resident students. These students:

To qualify, students must meet all of the following:

• The student must have spent at least 75 percent of their last two years of high school in a Washington high school. They do not have to graduate from a Washington high school.
  • The student’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must have had a domicile in Washington for at least one year within the five-year period before the student graduated high school.
  • The student must start college within six months of graduating high school.

In our case this would all be TRUE, as we have been WA residents for more than 2 decades. This is great to know!

3 Likes