Waiting to Hear...

<p>Aaaaah! It is so hard to wait.</p>

<p>Anyone else waiting to hear from St. Mary's College?</p>

<p>same here - wonder when they go out</p>

<p>The website says April 1. When we visited in Jan/Feb, the admissions guy said mid-March. I called the school two weeks ago and they said end of March. So it is anyone’s guess, I suppose!</p>

<p>I hope you both get good news very soon.</p>

<p>Thank you! My D is sitting on 9 acceptances because she has her heart set on St. Mary’s!
:)</p>

<p>Son got his acceptance here in MD :)</p>

<p>Awesome! That is such great news! My D leaves for a mission trip at the end of the week and I was SO hoping she would hear something before then. We didn’t get anything yesterday but hopefully Monday or Tuesday! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :)</p>

<p>mhyoon- Does he plan to attend?</p>

<p>My son also received acceptance on 3-23 in Md. They must have sent them the same day to MD students. :slight_smile: It’s one of his 3 choices.</p>

<p>vandygrad87, my son got accepted UMDCP engineering school also
and I think his heart is in there.
I like St.Mary’s and its quiet lac environment though.
Good luck to everybody who applied this school.</p>

<p>Myhoon- Good luck to your son, wherever he ends up attending. :)</p>

<p>Princeton- My D got her big envelope today. :slight_smile: She was excited. She has 10 acceptances but St Mary’s really captured a special place in her heart. I think she is leaning strongly toward attending there. Best of luck to your son!</p>

<p>Soon a decision will have to be reached by all the kids!</p>

<p>Vandygrad87, good for her! Has she visited yet? What was it that captured a special place out of 10 acceptances, if you don’t mind my asking? It would be good to know because it’s not far from us and of course cheaper than the others he’s considering (Goucher and Earlham). Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi Princeton,</p>

<p>I’m happy to share my thoughts. </p>

<p>We’ve visited St. Mary’s twice. The things that she/we liked were:</p>

<p>It’s cool to be smart. Cool to be prepared, cool to want to do well. I think kids are annoyed by students who don’t care.</p>

<p>It’s not cutthroat. </p>

<p>There’s a strong sense of community.</p>

<p>The setting is gorgeous- whatever pictures you have seen, it is actually prettier.</p>

<p>There’s a feeling of acceptance amongst all types of students. One of the things they say (borrowed from Austin, TX) is “Keep St. Mary’s Weird.” It’s a tongue in cheek way of saying that differences are accepted and you can be just who you are and you will be accepted there. </p>

<p>Buildings were well maintained- the Great Room for dining is gorgeous, athletic facilities nice but not over the top, dorms nice but still dorms. You know? Good condition but not so nice that you feel like that’s what you are paying all the money for. </p>

<p>Great relations between students and professors.</p>

<p>Cons-</p>

<p>It is remote. Now, when I first heard that, I thought SUPER REMOTE as in, you have NO WHERE to drive to or go. Not true. Now, it <em>is</em> true that you either need a car or someone else who has a car to drive you. But, within a ten minute drive you have all the restaurants and shopping you need. I think that is reasonable. We are trying to decide whether we will allow her a car or not. </p>

<p>Honestly, that’s the only con I can come up with.</p>

<p>I’d really encourage you all to visit. It’s worth it. Visits made a huge difference for my daughter in her decision making.</p>

<p>Princeton, for my money, St Mary’s is better hands down than his other choices as far as cost and academic quality of students. My dd loves St Mary’s for sure but I realize it is not for everyone. She loves the close knit campus. </p>

<p>Myhoon, funny your son wants umcp over St Mary’s, my dd took St Mary’s over UMCP. I am surprise he even applied to St Mary’s since he wants to take engineering. </p>

<p>I think it boils down to if a kid wants to be a big fish in a little pond, or little fish in a big pond. In the case of St Mary’s, there is a good chance they will be ponded anyway. lol</p>

<p>Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts momof and vandy; it’s extremely useful. We’ll be visiting in a few weeks for admitted students’ day and I hope he’ll get a better feel for the school. We visited last year’s open house but other than the tour guide there was no real contact with students. He’s received pretty good FA at Earlham and Goucher so that’s perhaps less of a problem. If not, it would be SMCM hands down. He has one HS teacher who went to Earlham and one went to SMCM and both give good reviews.</p>

<p>I’ve heard about ponding. :)</p>

<p>@vandigrad87,thank you,and Im glad your D got accepted from the school that she loves most.
@momof3greatgirls, my son applied with two majors; biology and engineering.
St. Mary’s was for Bio and then he changed his mind for engineering.
The reason he applied this school is that it is lac and instate as well. :slight_smile: and biology also.
He loved Biology and I don’t know why he suddenly fell in love with engineering.lol
Either a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in a big pond,kids will thrive in the place they choose.
Btw I am very happy that this long and torturing college admission process is almost over.</p>

<p>My dd was accepted to St. Mary’s. I must say that the long wait made it less appealing. Having to apply by Nov 1st in order to be considered for scholarships, then not hearing until the end of March. We had all our other offers, and had made a decision before getting the acceptance. It would have had to be an overwhelming offer in order to be considered. It’s a beautiful campus, and I’m sure dd would have liked it. She would have had to go in to the make your own major, though.</p>

<p>ABCKids- I agree with you. They do need to reformulate their admission system to reflect the advantages of Early Action.</p>