Waitlist?

<p>Hey,
I have applied to purdue, though a bit late, early february. Today I checked my status and it says: </p>

<p>Application Status: Complete ready for review
Decision: Waitlisted</p>

<p>I applied to the college of engineering. Does this mean I did not get accepted or is it still being decided? Did I get this decision because I applied late?</p>

<p>Just for reference the stats I submitted to Purdue are:
GPA: W: 4.28/4.0 UW: 3.95/4.0
SAT: 1960, 680 M, 660 R 620 W
Essay about my engineering club</p>

<p>Since it says, “complete ready for review,” according to the website, the committee has your application, but has not reviewed it. (If they had reviewed it, it would say, “decision made.”)
But since, “Waitlisted,” is listed at the decision, I am assuming that they looked at your application once and waitlisted you, but plan to re-review it.
This is probably because you applied later, yes.</p>

<p>Yeah, they looked at your application and decided that you are on the line of being accepted/denied (sorry if you are going to be anxious now). They will review some more applications and then in a few weeks they will admit waitlisters. They are usually waiting on admitted students to accept/decline their decision.</p>

<p>Good Luck, you got farther than a lot of other applicants.</p>

<p>What would cause them to make them think that I was on the line? I have stats which are above the official acceptance percents. I have taken 9 AP classes and got 5’s on 7 of them and 4 in 2. I have participated in several local and nationwide engineering competitions throughout highschool. Though I do not remember if the application even asked for extra-curricular activities or about AP’s. Were we supposed to write out extracurriculars somewhere because I do not think I listed anything about them in my application. I only talked about an engineering club I am in the essay but nowhere else.</p>

<p>There was an extra box to put the extra information, but it was optional.</p>

<p>Also, you applied after the priority deadline, which narrowed the chances of immediate acceptance. They will wait to see how many people from the first batch of applicants accept their offer before admitting a bunch more. (This one I find very plausible.)</p>

<p>Just because you are above the acceptable percentages for Purdue does not mean that you are above the engineer acceptances for this year. You are in the percentages for engineer from this year, from what I gather, but still not so above and beyond that you would get immediate acceptance.</p>

<p>Or, they could see you being only focused on engineering and nothing else since you didn’t list other extra curriculars. (I find this extremely unlikely at Purdue though.)</p>

<p>Your stats perhaps are not “on the line.” But you sent your application about five months after Purdue’s priority application deadline. I believe October 15 was the deadline for priority consideration for admission and merit-based aid. From other threads, you can see that competition for spots in First-Year Engineering was very strong this year–and that Purdue announced its merit-based aid to accepted applicants before you even applied.</p>

<p>A couple of old adages come to mind: He who hesitates is lost. And the early bird catches the worm.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies,
Yes I regret not applying earlier. I did not keep track of the deadlines because I had so much going on and I wish I did. But since I can’t go back in time, at least not yet, do you think it would be helpful to contact the admissions office and send them the information about my extracurriculars and AP courses which I did not include or would they not look through it? Purdue is one of my top choices because of having one of the best best aerospace programs as well as good research opportunities and I would really like to get in. </p>

<p>Thanks again for the replies</p>

<p>I don’t think that will help, I doubt that the counselor that you will speak with will have the ability to change your application. However, if you get declined you can always file an appeal with the additional information. </p>

<p>SleepandRun is absolutely right. You probably would have been accepted immediately if the application was in on time. Most likely you were waitlisted because they want to accept you, but they don’t have spots open until they get information back from potential students. (For every person that declines their offer, another student gets an offer). This is why when a person is accepted, it is polite to decline offers after they choose to go somewhere else.</p>

<p>That wouldn’t be a bad idea as long as you don’t repeat information they already have.</p>