Waitlisted at SDSU Weber Honors College

Hi! I was an early admit at SDSU for Civil Engineering and I thought I had a pretty good shot at being accepted into their Honors College. It’s not the end of the world or anything, but I was waitlisted. Does anyone know how many people get waitlisted? Of those people, how many get offered a spot in the Honors College as well?

I looked on their frequently asked questions and they said they have (on average) 1600 applicants and 300 accepted freshman. The average test score (SAT) is 1345 and average weighted GPA is 4.14.

I have a 1340 SAT and my weighted GPA is 4.12 (but my CSU GPA is 3.9, I’m still confused on what GPA colleges will look at, if they consider multiple, or if they create their own GPA).

I’ve been told I’m a strong writer (in the application process sense) and I believe my writing for the Honors College was solid.

What do you think my chances are? Thank you for any advice or info!

The CSU’s (except Cal Poly SLO) will use the capped weighted CSU GPA so in your case it would be the 3.9.

Since not everyone that is admitted to SDSU and Weber’s Honor college ends up attending, I am sure they will be taking students off the waitlist. How many?

I asked the WHC college how many people were on the waitlist for next Fall (they wouldn’t say other than indicating it was “robust”). I also asked historically how many people are offered spots from the waitlist and they said very few. My daughter was also an early admit and was hopeful she would be accepted to WHC for Fall 2020, but was waitlisted.

Based on the newest information from the viewbook.pdf on their website with regards to the Weber Honor’s College, for Fall 2018 they received 2,080 applications with an average SAT/ACT of 1396/31 and a GPA of 4.23. Their website states that each class is approximately 300 students and presumably a lot of students are waitlisted (I have yet to hear someone actually get rejected), so odds are low of getting of the waitlist depending on how many admits do not decide on attending.

Thank you for the info

@TrustInsulin Anecdotally, I would say if you commit to going to SDSU, it might increase you chances of getting off the waitlist. My son was invited to apply to WHC in Dec, but didn’t apply until about two weeks ago, before the second deadline. He heard nothing for two weeks. On Saturday my son confirmed his acceptance to SDSU and today (Monday) he was accepted into WHC. His stats we’re pretty close to yours, SAT 1370 and 3.975 weighted GPA.

1 Like

This is interesting… my D22 is in the same situation now and is 99% committed to SDSU but was just waiting to hear back from UC’s. I might have her commit today, maybe it will help her chances.

You gotta be pretty competitive. My Son got in last week as a 1350 Sat not sure he even submitted that. He is a 4.0 unweighted. Like a 4.6 with normal weighting. He is not yet committed.

I believe so, she did receive and acceptance last week. As did a few other girls, she’s been talking with, about rooming together.