Washington & Lee Class of 2027 Official Thread

This makes sense, I would say most of our Catholic schools are the same and thus would fall under W&L’s “independent” school. My D24’s school though I do think may get some support from the local archdiocese and thus may actually be in that low 11% as luck would have it! We are further away from W&L though so they don’t have a large pool of applicants from our area so she could get a geographical boost. Will go back to lurking on this thread for now - ha!

1 Like

correlation is not causation

Has there been any movement with the waitlist? My daughter is very interested in W & L and hoping to get off!

I think it’s unlikely there has been any movement off the waitlist at this point. The school would normally wait till after the RD deadline to know what capacity, if any, would be available. Specifically they say:

“There is a chance you will hear from us in late April, but most likely you will not hear from us until after May 1, which is the deadline for admitted students to reserve their places in the class. In the meantime, you should make plans to attend another college and reserve your place in its first-year class, since we cannot assure you that we’ll admit any students from our waiting list.”

https://www.wlu.edu/admissions/applying/the-waiting-list/

Has anyone seen any waitlist movement yet?

No. My daughter is waitlisted also.

Good luck to her! I saw your other post. I believe I have seen that ND has started contacting some waitlisted students. Don’t know about Bowdoin.

1 Like

Has anyone heard anything back lately in regards to the waitlist?

They released the waitlist tonight. Was anyone offered a spot in the class?

My son heard back tonight that he was released from the waitlist. He was not offered a place in the class.

Does this mean the waitlist is already closed?

My son just checked. He heard too. He was released from the waitlist and not offered a spot. The letter sounded like the waitlist was “closed”? Not sure what exactly that means. Does that mean everyone offered admission originally accepted?

The message said it is now clear our class will be full and we must release our waitlist at this time.

Wow. That is early.

Best wishes to your students wherever they landed. :heart:

My daughter received and update to her portal saying she is not a accepted via waitlist. (W&L)

I’m curious about how filling the spots for the incoming class works. We know of two kids who were accepted to WnL this year and said they have declined WnL’s offer and will be attending UGA. So do colleges offer more acceptances than they actually have space for knowing that some kids will reject the offer? And does that mean a waitlist is essentially like an insurance policy to be able to use if the admissions team’s estimated calculations were off? Trying to learn how this all works.

Colleges admit more kids than spots available knowing all will not enroll. How many more is based on their estimate of yield (how many admits actually deposit).

If a school overestimates yield, they can pull from the waitlist to fill the class. If they underestimate, they can run into issues with over enrollment and resulting housing issues and other strains on resources.

2 Likes

Yes. Then the term “yield” comes in to play. It’s the percentage that accepts. So if they want a class of 500 and their yields is expected to be 50% they will admit 1000 students. Half will accept and the class will be full. If their yield is 45% that year then they’ll have 450 initially and take 50 off the waitlist.

1 Like