Washington & Lee Class of 2027 Official Thread

How many applicants??

1 Like

I donā€™t know the number of applicants. That will determine the ā€œadmit rateā€, and I am interested in seeing that statistic too. I was talking about the ā€œyield rateā€, which is the percentage of admitted students who actually enroll.

Anyone attending Admitted Students Day on 4/24? This thread is pretty quiet.

Thereā€™s also an ADS this coming Friday, 3/31, fyi.

1 Like

Thanks. Unfortunately, we couldnā€™t arrange travel to work out in time for this week. My D23 and I will be attending on 4/24 and hoping to finalize the decision on that trip.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to guess Alaska and North Dakota

1 Like

I suspect the further away you are, the higher probability to be admitted and vice versa :slight_smile:

My feeling is that W&L is best for conservative kids and Dickinson is for progressive with Gettysburg in between :slight_smile:. In case of DD, Gettysburg gave her the best love.

1 Like

I think itā€™s easy to oversimplify schools and put them into categories. Right now, weā€™re weeding into the nitty-gritty of programs, ECs, speakers, and such, especially as they relate to the intended major. W&L has some great things going on with their poverty studies minor and funding going into furthering public interest law careers that is anything but conservative. D has been treated well at both schools. My boss is a Gettysburg grad and enjoyed her time there.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! W&L is on our D24ā€™s list but this gives me pause with 11% religiously affiliated schools. For the Class of 26 they didnā€™t break it out like that, it was just ā€œ47% Independent/Parochial School.ā€

I would imagine itā€™s mostly Catholic schools. My kids go to a Catholic school but many of the students arenā€™t religious.

Oh my kids go to Catholic schools too, but I had no idea the acceptance for religiously affiliated schools was such a low percentage! That feels like it worsens her odds greatly!

Oh gotcha! Iā€™ve no idea what they count as a religious school and what they donā€™t, but I agree, seems low as a percentage of private schools.

Washington and Lee takes a good number of kids from our area, some of whom are definitely liberal. Lots of student athletes with very strong academic records.

4 Likes

There is a distinction between private Catholic schools and schools supported by the local Catholic diocese. I think thatā€™s what they are trying to get at here. In my area, many of the Catholic schools are privately supported and do not rely on the churchā€™s budget for financial support.

1 Like

I hope todayā€™s Admitted Students Day is informative and fun for those on campusā€¦ and that the rain holds off! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just apply widely with lots of different types of schools. Colleges we thought were a shoe-in (higher acceptance rates and lower-stat profiles) werenā€™t and then W&L was a happy surprise. Iā€™ve seen circles of kids on here applying to the same schools with all different results - an acceptance at one didnā€™t mean an acceptance at another as you would have thought. Demonstrated interest is a whole different animal as well - a game we didnā€™t care to play to the extreme that some do. But be aware if your top schools consider it important. Crazy year that Iā€™m glad to almost be done with and my last kid to leave the nest!

1 Like

Yes. Even back in the dark ages (late 90s) when I attended W&L we had a good mix of political persuasions. Several children of Clinton staffers, one of my friendā€™s dad was his doctor. Conservatives too, but I also remember a small demonstration when Pat Bucanan came to speak.

3 Likes

I just saw that you tagged me on this. I donā€™t know why Admissions broke out this metric this year and did not in the past. If it is a concern, I suggest contacting them for clarification.

I suspect @Izzy74 is correct that it is only schools specifically affiliated and supported by a religious institutionā€¦ but I do not know. Anecdotally, most of the private school kids from our hometown attended schools with chapel and a religious-foundation but NOT considered religious schools.

As for the student body, there is a mix across religions and there are organizations to support all religions. There is also respect and socializationā€¦ for example, my Christian kid regularly attends events at Hillel and has participated in Hindi and Muslim social activities. We view that as a positive for her college experience.

Iā€™m happy to answer more specific questions or connect your student with my kiddo. (She gave me permission to offer that on CC.)

1 Like

Would love to hear insight/thoughts on Admitted Students Day for any who attended (3/31)?

1 Like