Washington & Lee Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for Washington & Lee Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 1

Does anyone know when invitations will be sent for Johnson Scholarship weekend?

1 Like

I am curious also

I haven’t seen anything posted. The past couple years they were released mid-February, I believe.

2 Likes

Johnson notifications come out Friday, Feb 3 at 8 pm!

2 Likes

I was just going to post this. Good luck all!!!

Does everyone selected for Johnson weekend get almost an assured admission irrespective of Johnson result?

2 Likes

Yes, if you are invited to the interview weekend, you are accepted. (They do have some fine print that it is not an official admissions offer, as those are released in March.)

2 Likes

Thanks. I believe they invite 4-5X of the number that get eventually chosen. So I guess ED + Johnson invitees would constitute almost 80-90% of the class?

Not exactly. But I get your point, since they invite approximately 200 kids to Johnson weekend and those kids are, for all practical purposes, accepted to the school. Not all will attend, however.

After the Johnson weekend, they will offer the scholarship to approximately 80 kids (plus they also have an alternates list). Since the goal is to have 40 (10%) Johnson Scholars in each class, they expect a 50% yield of the Johnson offers.

There are many reasons a kid may not enroll, whether or not they are selected for the scholarship. These are accomplished kids and many will have other scholarship offers, or will be accepted to Ivies or other prestigious schools they prefer. Of course, for some kids affordability is the only real decision-maker and not being chosen for a merit scholarship may take a school out of consideration.

2 Likes

Can anyone speculate the dates and general structure of the Johnson weekend? (Based on last year?) I know we will find out tomorrow if chosen, but I am impatient. If my son is chosen, he would need to fly and just trying to wrap my brain around it.

2 Likes

Understood. Forgot about the yield factor :slight_smile:

1 Like

out of the 200 that are invited, historically speaking, how many end up actually going?

I do not have that information.

Anecdotally, my D has friends she met over Johnson weekend who are currently attending despite not receiving the scholarship. She knows a couple kids who were not awarded the Johnson but were awarded one of the full tuition regional scholarships.

Edit: Adding to the above, W&L is very generous with need-based aid so families with need often do not need merit to make it affordable. Of course, each family situation is different.

1 Like

My son was invited to attend :blush:

1 Like

My daughter was invited to attend, too.

1 Like

invited as a finalist for the johnson scholarship!

Can you all please send stats

1 Like

Selected with…
4.0 unweighted gpa
4 APs (with 5s)
35 ACT
SGA President
Boys’ State
Scouting
Varsity basketball
Rural community with lots of community volunteer work/involvement…church, civic, after school tutoring

1 Like