Washington U. in St Louis Class of 2027 Official Thread

I think they are referring to what they selected in common app application as their first choice. At least that what’s I meant with my DS acceptance.

D23 accepted to the School of Engineering. is anyone else here intending to major in engineering?

2 Likes

OMG I GOT IN !!

RD for Environmental Engineering :slight_smile:

1 Like

D ACCEPTED!! Engineering. Happy kid!!

1 Like

waitlist for poli sci

Son accepted for CS! We are thrilled because this is close to home for us.

1 Like

D got accepted into the College of Arts and Sciences!

2 Likes

S23, Bay Area, CA: waitlisted for CS

• 4.0 UW, 4.55 Weighted
  • 8 AP (3 IP), 3 Honors, 4 CC Math (2 IP)
  • 1540 SAT (99s in both)
  • ECs including teaching, robotics, some research

Engineering and Design have their own schools. Everything else is Arts and Science.

Accepted A&S. Test optional

1 Like

Son happily accepted! We’re trying to figure out logistics for a campus visit. Wondering if anyone on this thread has a suggestion on where to stay, and also, any honest assessment of what the dorms and food on campus are like?

Oldest D graduated Wustl last May. Youngest D matriculating this August.

We’re local to the area, so haven’t used the hotels. There’s a funky “cool” hotel - Moonrise I think, close to campus and on the Loop (college hangout zone for Wustl kids). Fancy hotel “Chase Park Plaza” on the other side of Forest Park from Wustl (still close, but beyond walking distance). And the usual assortment of other hotels, fancy and not, in the area.

Dorms on the South 40 are pretty good, IMO.

Food I think can be good, but was kind of a mess during COVID - not sure how much it’s normalized since then. At the DUC (main dining hall closer to classes), there are many stations to get food, but apparently the ones with tastier food tend to have long lines at popular times (lunch). Your kid’s first year dorm will likely be on the South 40, so for evening and weekend eating, they’ll likely use Bear’s Den (dining hall on the South 40). There are other eateries, as well…

If you visit St. Louis and have a little extra time, meander the Loop (Delmar) for food/vibes, and check out the Zoo and/or Art Museum (both ~free, except for parking, but street parking is possible), close by Wustl in Forest Park. Or, if the weather is glorious, the Botanical Garden (a bit further from Wustl, and does charge admission.)

4 Likes

My youngest D will be attending for engineering.

Older D graduated with CompSci degree (in the engineering school, but not quite conventional “engineering” last May). Her good experience at Wustl helped push my youngest to ED Wustl.

2 Likes

Indeed, my older D went into A&S, thinking maybe Cog Neuro. Took a Comp Sci/programming class, 2nd semester of first year (little previous CS exposure), loved it, transferred into the Eng. school, CS program, graduated in 4 years, and is now working for a West Coast big tech company.

2 Likes

You can also stay at the Charles F Knight Center which is an on campus hotel . It is cheaper to book this via hotels.com actually. You can also look for hotels in Clayton.

Dorms are extremely nice. Food is improving, but they will have a new food service provider for next year so will see. Personally, I feel the food is incredible compared with what I had in college as far as quality and variety, but I think the expectations are so much higher now.
There currently is a Subway, sushi restaurant, Ibby’s (nicer sit-down) Starbucks and a few other options on campus in addition to the DUC and Bear’s Den. There are salad making robots as well as build your own salads and Deli sandwich areas. There are small grocery type stores (2) I think on campus , one is called Paws and Go. There is the law cafe and another over in the Village. The Rec center is amazing.

4 Likes

Thanks - this is very helpful!

Wonderful - thanks for the info!

hi guys, i’m struggling on deciding between washu (out of state) vs. uiuc (in state) for premed. i got a full-tuition scholarship from uiuc, but i also got pretty decent financial aid from washu too so at this point, it’s all about which school has more to offer in terms of academics, social life, research, etc. i have just a couple of questions about washu if anyone is willing to answer, please!

1. how rigorous is washu in its premed courses, like ACTUALLY? some people say that the curriculum is extremely challenging, others say it’s not bad because of grade inflation. what’s true? what’s not?
  2. how much does washu tuition increase each year? are the campus work-study options feasible?
  3. is it worth doing undergrad at washu for the prestige it offers? in other words, is going to washu going to truly affect my med school applications?
  4. is it extremely difficult to get research positions/internships?
  5. everyone says “well if you’re going to do pre-med at washu, then you’re going to look like EVERYONE ELSE and you won’t stand out when you’re applying to med schools” is this valid or anywhat true at the school?

please give me any information that i can’t find on the websites! i would really really appreciate it. i know that most people are going to tell me to choose uiuc because i have a full-tuition scholarship, but if i choose washu, it’ll only be about $5K more expensive and I’m okay with making that investment if it’s truly worth it. thank you guys :slight_smile:

Here is some data from WashU about their pre-med placement
Matriculation & Acceptance Rates | PreHealth (wustl.edu) Looking at this you will see that the medical school placement rate is over 90% with a gpa over 3.80 out of WASHU. I feel this gpa is very obtainable. If you decide pre-med is not for you, it is very easy to change majors or double major here. It is also not that hard to switch to business school, or slightly harder but not impossible to switch to engineering school/CS.

I have a student at WashU who is not pre-med, but many of their friends are. My student has taken some of the courses required for pre-med, and I am a physician myself who went to a very non-prestigious state school (granted over 30 years ago). I would not have gotten into medical school today (with the current system of need for shadowing, research, work in a medical setting, volunteer hours ect) coming from the school I did. If you are a hooked applicant, or if the extra 20k over 4 years is a significant financial burden, I would say go to UIUC and save the money. Otherwise I would say WASHU for only 5k more per year is a no-brainer. This is what I know:

1. The pre-med course are harder than state school courses IMO, but they are heavily curved. You would be extremely well prepared for medical school. All pre-med courses offer what is called PLTL which is an hour per week (not required) which is basically a tutoring session. If you do go to it on a semi-regular basis, you will get 1 credit for it. There is also TA hours and 1on1 free tutoring available. There is tutoring within the dorms for certain classes on drop-in basis as well. It is all there for you, you just have to utilize.

2.tuition increases around 3% each year. However, WashU can be very generous again, if you take initiative. For example, for the last 2 years I have appealed the financial aid offer and was awarded additional funds for my student. There is a requirement for approved health insurance which they can offer if you are not covered by your parents’ plan. However, there is a process to appeal and receive a grant to have this covered ( it costs around 2.5k year) There are also relatively easy ways to receive funds for books, interview/internship wardrobe, a stipend for housing during internship/research summer employment ect. If you are lower income, there is even a fund to apply to that offers a stipend that can be used for incidentals/other expenses -even the occasional meal off campus. Every incoming student who receives any financial aid receives a stipend to cover a laptop. Work study jobs are plentiful and easy to obtain. You can easily get one that involves medical research. There are so many research options.

Look at the med-prep curriculum. It will easily help you obtain necessary shadowing and walk you through the process/what is needed to be a successful medical school applicant. It will also help you determine for yourself if this is truly the right direction for you. There is also the opportunity, although it is competitive, to be trained as an on-campus EMT.

5 Likes

has anyone heard back from the waitlist yet?