Weather for driving back

<p>My son has a midday flight set for Sunday, but we called and learned that there are seats on an earlier flight. So he’s going to fly stand by and hopes to beat the snow to BHM.</p>

<p>changed to an early connecting flight Sun. so he can make the last eshuttle out at 11:25. :slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Son was scheduled to return on Monday but due to the combination of the Northeast weather (expecting 4-6 inches of snow today and possible heavy snow expected on Mon/Tues) and Alabama’s weather, we changed plans. So, he is on a return flight today.</p>

<p>Here’s to safe travels for all those students returning to UA in the next few days.</p>

<p>Southern boy here is looking forward to seeing snow in Ttown. Hope our Northern friends can show him how to build a proper snowman!</p>

<p>But seriously, safe travels, guy. We’ll be praying for y’all.</p>

<p>Take care and be safe!</p>

<p>Safe travels, y’all.</p>

<p>My son had to wait until his airline issued the travel advisory so he could book an earlier flight. No sleep tonight. The airport is more than two hours away, and this is a very early flight. As for snow, maybe my son needs to contact robotbldmom’s son. The two have lots of experience shoveling snow.</p>

<p>You are right Momreads, lots of snow shoveling experience here. That’s why he ran away South (lol)…</p>

<p>FYI the latest Birmingham weather blog states: “For the Tuscaloosa/Birmingham metro areas, a wintry mix will begin by mid-afternoon (2:00-5:00), but initially surface temperatures will be above freezing and we won’t expect any travel problems before dark.” </p>

<p>So I think the students who are going back tomorrow should be OK.</p>

<p>Thanks for the update, Rob. </p>

<p>Safe travels, everyone!</p>

<p>Weather was beautiful today on the long drive in. Perfectly clear sky, bright and sunny. Be safe everyone!!</p>

<p>we are headed that way tomorrow morning. should be there by 6ish.</p>

<p>Careful Mike! I’m assuming you mean 6pm?</p>

<p>We are coming from Virginia. We were going to head down on Monday but have decided to wait until Tuesday. The weather was a factor, but also all my DS’s VT friends say he can’t leave until we pull the DUCKS thru the National Championship game on Monday!! Hoping we can get thru Tennessee on Tuesday.Sounds like it might be better in Alabama by then…</p>

<p>Son and I left from Columbus, OH at 3:15 AM (Alabama time), picked up a student just north of Cincinnati at 5:00 AM. We were back on the road by 5:30 AM. It was white knuckle driving for the next 4 hours! Louisville was an ice rink! I passed at least 20 cars either in the ditches or playing bumper cars. We made it to campus by 2:00 PM. </p>

<p>I fly out of BHM at 1:00 PM Sunday. Is should not have a problem to the airport. I just hope there is a plane that can fly me north.</p>

<p>yep. 6pm</p>

<p>we have a long drive. if it gets too scary, i guess we can stop and stay somewhere.</p>

<p>It’s a 2.5-hour trip to the airport from our home in VA. My husband and son just left (2:30 a.m.). The two will pull all-nighters. Usually, it’s the weather here that we worry about, not what will happen in Alabama when it comes to snow/ice.</p>

<p>“It was white knuckle driving for the next 4 hours!”</p>

<p>Oh my gosh, I hate that so, so much. I once went off the road on black ice, and I have been a complete weather-wooss ever since.</p>

<p>All these Southern snowfalls – both last year and this year – are depressing the heck out of me. We moved here (NC) from Vermont 21 years ago, and I never expected Vermont weather to follow us here.</p>

<p>Best wishes and prayers, y’all, for a safe trip down to Bama and back!!</p>

<p>Work was so crazy the week after New Year’s, that I had no idea of the weather forecast until I read it here on Friday! D left this morning at 7:30 to drive back to Tuscaloosa, hoping to beat the storm. It’s about a 5-6 hour drive. She was to play piano in church today, and leave on Monday, but thought today was the safe day to go. Thanks to RobD and the other weather watchers for starting this thread. The link to the B’ham weather man was great.</p>

<p>Be careful everyone, we’re familiar with this kind of weather even in KY. Those southern drivers, don’t have the pleasure of all the practice driving on it that we do. :)</p>

<p>Sons flight was just canceled. He was supposed to leave LAX at 6 am on Monday. The choices were take a later flight on Monday and hope for the best or a red-eye on Wednesday that didn’t get in until Thursday. Got worried about missing school and opted for the Monday flight it arrives in Memphis at 6pm and Birmingham at 8:50 pm…I hope they don’t cancel it! </p>

<p>Also not sure how he will get back to school. Talked to the shuttle service and I am hoping they can accommodate him. right now they don’t seem to know what they are doing. They just said they were going to try to get them all picked up.</p>

<p>so, this should be an interesting next few days.</p>

<p>Praying very hard for safe, worry-free travels for all!!</p>