Weighted & Unweighted GPA & Numerical GPA & Percentage GPA

Hi. I am a little confused on how teens are supposed to report their GPAs. Teen is working on first resume to potentially use for future internship type positions. Teen’s school uses percentage grades out of 100% instead of 4.0 scale. Also teen has Honors & AP classes which I’ve read counts differently when doing GPA. When kids are listing their GPAs as weighted and unweighted are those the numbers they get from their school or do they put their grades in some sort of online calculator that converts it from one format to another. I guess what I am asking is, in general, when teens report their GPAs is there a standard scale they should be using to report it even if that is not the scale the school uses. If so, should they use one of those grade converter apps to make the conversion?

You can put 3.75/4.0 or 4.25/5.0 or 97.5/100.

1 Like

On the Common AP, your kid should report their GPA as it appears on their transcript, and there should be a drop-down menu on the Common Ap where the student will enter the scale of the GPA. I’m pretty sure that the menu includes a 0-100 scale.

Your kid’s school should also include both ther weighted and unweighted GPA. If they don’t, go to your kid’s student handbook, where it should tell you how Honors and AP classes are weighted.

1 Like

I believe they are asking how to list GPA on a resume, not a college application.

1 Like

Ah, I misunderstood that.

1 Like

In our experience GPA is computed very differently in different high schools, and also in different universities.

When in university and applying to internships, one daughter listed two GPAs on her resume. One was on a 4.0 scale (A+=4.0, A=4.0, B=3.0, etc). The other was on a 4.33 scale (A+=4.33, A=4.0, etc). Now that she has been working full time for well over a year, I am not sure whether she would even still list a GPA on her resume.

I do not think that there is a standard scale. Even at the university level I have seen different scales (eg, Stanford gives a 4.3 for an A+, some universities give a 4.0 for an A+, some universities do not give A+ grades even in some cases when they do give A- and B+ grades).

A percentage out of 100 unweighted would be reasonable to list.

1 Like

For a possible summer HS internship, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Just list it as the HS lists it (92.7% or whatever), with some reference to the scale.

Since potential employers might not have a good idea of how good that is, you might want to provide some sort of norming reference, either numerically (top decile), or in terms of accolades: in NHS, won 9th grade award for “best [something]”, etc…

2 Likes

For employment resumes, best to list exactly as the transcript lists, in case the employer verifies.

If attendance is not finished at the school, include “as of [date]” to make it clear when the listed GPA was correct.

2 Likes