Welcome New College Rep, UA_Admissions, from the University of Alabama

<p>Please join me in welcoming our newest College Rep, UA_Admissions from the University of Alabama!</p>

<p>As a reminder, our College Reps are individuals that we have taken reasonable steps to verify as being from the school they represent. (If you find a CC member claiming to be an admissions person at a college and that member isn’t flagged as a College Rep, please let us know so that we can verify his/her status.)</p>

<p>As an matter of courtesy to our College Reps (who have real-world jobs and are incredibly busy during the admissions season!), please don’t post pleas for help naming the individual (e.g., “Hey UA_Admissions - Need Answer ASAP!!!” is what NOT to do - ask your question in a new thread with a clear and specific title, and you’ll get input from CC members and, perhaps, from the resident College Rep if he/she has something to contribute.)</p>

<p>Say hello if you like, but please don’t ask questions in this thread - start a new one with a relevant title. Thanks!</p>

<p>So glad to see a rep from my alma mater! I am proud third-generation graduate…RTR!</p>

<p>Welcome, UA_Admissions. I hope to visit your campus in the year ahead.</p>

<p>Sally,</p>

<p>We’d love to have you. Scheduling a campus visit is very easy. Just check out [Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit).</p>

<p>Thanks. I’ve got to get my family into road-trip mode. That can be hard when it’s hot here (New England) and even hotter there!</p>

<p>Sally, </p>

<p>Be sure to contact the Honors College for a tour there as well.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids … do you know the percentage of out-of-staters in the Honors College?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That’s a good question.</p>

<p>The 2010-2011 Factbook has not been published (as far as I can tell). That had a state by state breakdown for incoming frosh in the H.C… </p>

<p>However, I’m not sure how it was compiled because I know that SEA<em>Tide from Washington was somehow left out of the previous year’s Factbook. Sea</em>Tide came in as a “frosh” but had many AP/Dual enrollment credits so he technically had a higher standing…so maybe those freshmen who enter as soph/jrs, somehow don’t make the list???</p>

<p>I suspect that the % of OOS kids in the Honors College is high. I also suspect that a number of the instate kids in the HC are transplants or have parents who were transplants. My kids are “instate,” but we’re from California.</p>

<p>Anyway…if you visit… :)</p>

<p>set up a campus tour time online…try for the early morning tour.
[Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit)</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, MBA, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Welcome. I’ll start a new thread with my question for one and all …</p>

<p>The Honors College generally has a slightly lower percentage of OOS students than the university as a whole. That said students from outside the region (here defined as AL, TN, GA, FL, MS, and TX) are more likely to be in the Honors College than not.</p>

<p>My niece from Homewood is entering as a first year student in a few weeks. She can hardly wait. My brother tells me that in Alabama you are born either Auburn or Alabama.</p>

<p>True…but probably 75% are born Alabama fans. The fan base in not anywhere near split 50/50…not even close. The tell-tale signs are that stores have very large “Alabama spirit wear” sections, and much smaller Auburn sections. </p>

<p>*The Honors College generally has a slightly lower percentage of OOS students than the university as a whole. *</p>

<p>That is interesting since some think that most of the OOS kids are scholarship recipients (high stats honors kids)</p>

<p>Sea_tide…where are you getting those numbers? That 2009 Factbook can’t be right…it doesn’t include you (did you ever ask why you’re not included?). And, where is the 2010 Factbook???</p>

<p>Thanks for all the helpful information. I am hoping to take a family road trip either in August when my son gets back from camp (he has two weeks before football starts and will want some chill time at home so it might be tight) or in April during the school break.</p>

<p>The data I can find (2009-2010 Factbook) says that 62.4% of entering Honors College freshmen were from Alabama. I asked Dr. Sharpe about the methodology of the factbook in that the Honors College doesn’t considered those who entered with a higher class standing to be freshmen, while the university considers those who were admitted as freshmen, including those with a higher class standing, to be freshmen and he said that he’d look into the discrepancy.</p>

<p>Thanks, SEA_tide. I’m often curious about honors program demographics and how they differ from those of the host university at large.</p>