What are my chances? 10th grade applicant 2023

Hi, I’m an international applicant for 10th grade at several different schools. I currently live in the states and will be applying for financial aid.
Schools I’m applying to:
Choate
Deerfield
Hotchkiss
Lawrenceville
Loomis

SSAT score is not good (54% overall)
I have decent grades in school (4.6 GPA so far this year) (As and A+s last two years)
Won multiple awards with violin.
Member of orchestras (local youth, regional, all-state)
I play tennis, golf, and fence. (only lville has fencing)

Have done interviews with Lville, Choate, and Hotchkiss.
Currently working on my essays…

I want to go to Lawrenceville the most, however, they only admit 50-60 10th-grade applicants. Plus my need for financial aid as an international, what are my chances?

Your scores are low, and financial aid for an international student is quite uncommon. You should broaden your list to include more less selective schools if you really want to go to BS.

These schools want high scores for international students in particular because they want to be sure they can handle the rigor of a prestigious boarding school in a country where the education system is different, as well as the language. You may be required to take the TOEFL.

Thanks for replying, what is the bare minimum percentile for SSAT?

There is no minimum- but accepted international students usually have scores 90+, but plenty get accepted with scores between 85-90 too.

1 Like

I will be taking TOEFL soon. Maybe I should retake SSAT? (only lville requires SSAT)

2 Likes

I would retake it if you can. If you can’t, I would say do not send it to schools where it is optional. What is your score breakdown? (math, verbal, reading?)There are a lot of people accepted with scores as low as 75 but these people are usually full pay domestic students with some sort of hook such as being a legacy donor or a recruited athlete.

Verbal 32, Math 83, Reading 41

Do schools accept late SSAT scores? I’ve already sent mine to lville. If I decide to retake it can I send it again?

This isn’t too rare for an international student- your math is fine but reading and verbal are low. Some schools have a minimum TOEFL score that you need to even apply. How long have you spoken english? These schools expect you to have the same level of english as someone who has lived here their entire life.

Yes, as long as it isn’t too late. Many schools will accept scores into mid February but usually not later than that. However, they want them in as soon as possible.

I’ve been here for four years already. I don’t have US citizenship which is why I need to apply as international

Minimum TOEFL they’re looking for is 100/120

So it comes down to this- did you do poorly on the english and verbal section because you didn’t prepare enough? Is math just your strong suit? (it was mine). Or do you not have the english proficiency these schools are looking for?

If you’re recruitable in any of your sports it will help you significantly. If you have a permanent residence card in the US you may be able to apply domestic.

I did prepare but probably wasn’t enough. I will try to retake the SSAT. And I’m pretty confident my TOEFL won’t be too bad.

Will violin help if I’m good at that?

Good luck. Minimum is 100 but most of the accepted international scores are 110+. Try your best and I encourage you to look at other schools with higher acceptance rates. They can offer an excellent education and excellent opportunities as well.

It depends. If you performed at Carnegie Hall, or have huge recognitions, it will help. If this is the case, I would reach out to the teachers. If you just do it for fun or in the school orchestra, it won’t make a difference.

most of my accomplishments in my Candidate profile were filled with violin stuff but I don’t think it’s huge enough to cover all my other grades.

All you can do is try your best and put your best foot forward. I also did not do well on my SSAT the first time. The second time was much much better. I had a score that I actually could submit and got into schools with. However, I also broadened my list as I think you should do too.