What are my chances at Texas A&M!?!?!

@gogogogobruins Fors my major help any? I plan to major in Agribusiness

Will*

Though they say that majors don’t matter, I think it is helpful if your major doesn’t fill up quickly. So yeas, it’s better for non-engineers and non-business. Agri-biz in Mays? Mays get filled up fast.

Agribusiness is in The college of Ag but it partners w Mays.

It counts as EC for review – but no, you’re not singled out for a fast track admit. You need to meet the scores for that to happen. It is pretty cut & dry. Other eagle scouts have not gotten full admits in the past (I’ve been on here & other sites for a long time ), so no don’t count on it to trump your lack in scores or other short comings. It is a great achievement( congratulations!), but not one you can be smug about that it will be your golden ticket.

Reading this post, are you trying to avoid re-taking and studying for the exams? If you’re trying to justify that you will get in without any additional work… chances are slim ( you would be a review admit: 14% chance, work on your scores and you could move that to 100%). You have time before applications are due, take advantage of your opportunity - 1020 is quite a distance from 1360, but even if you just get closer you will improve your chances significantly AND improve your basic skills in math & english in particular which will be needed for success - you will need two calculus courses & writing skills to make it thru an AG-Bus degree.

Tips:

1. Apply within the first two weeks applications open. A&M is first come first serve for majors.
  2. Retake the SAT. Your goal should be above the average SAT of at LEAST a 1240.

Don’t let A&M’s acceptance rate in the upper 60% fool you. Only about 43% of applicants get into the main campus, half of those being auto admits.

If you have an open mind to Blinn Team, your chances would be pretty good with an SAT in the upper 1200 range.

There’s engineering at Galveston and McAllen too which let you transfer after 1 year if you do well.

@Jpgranier

I heard a guy just say that this was recently changed last year so now everyone has to compete. Here is what he said

Not sure which one of you is right

Admission here is rolling to major EXCEPT for the college of engineering which is competitive. So both statements are correct (one answers the Engineering applicant, the other is everyone else).

So if I improve my sat scores to above a 1200 what are my chances then?

@AGmomx2

:confused: that sucks

Might be time for me to start looking at other potential majors in case I don’t get in for engineering.

@Coreyt99

Even if you got your SAT above a 1200, you would still be a review admit, which wouldn’t be good.

As state above, there is a section on the application that asks what A&M functions, camps, orientations, etc. that you went to, to try to determine your interest level. I was told by admissions that this information has no bearing on admission. They use this data AFTER the fact to survey who accepted admissions… whether or not it was a person that had been interested in A&M all along.

One more thing… An admissions rep made the following statement about the A&M interest levels I mentioned above: “I don’t even know why that’s still on the application.”

why are you interested in engineering?

Hello! As someone admitted as a review, I would just like to say as long as you complete your application early (like, first or second week of August) and ** try ** to improve your scores you will be fine.

Are you guaranteed a spot? No, but if you try your very best to apply as early as possible and update your AIS regularly with new grades and new test scores, you should be satisfied knowing you gave your application everything you had.