What are my chances for UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis, UC Irvine computer science or comp engineering?

UC Weighted GPA: 3.92
UC Unweighted : 3.72

Test Scores:
SAT: 2240 (Math: 770, Reading: 730 and Writing: 740)
SAT Math 2C Subject Test: 800
AP English Language and Composition: 5

Extracurricular Activities:
High school Varsity Soccer team starter since freshman year - 2013-2017
National Premier League Soccer Player (Extremely high commitment)
Building Computers for friends and family and Teaching basic computer assembly skills to people in the community
Featured Electronic Projects for Maker Faire and Instructables.com
Member of the programming club - 2014-2017
Vice President of the Computer and Electrical Engineering club - 2016-2017
100 hours of teaching kids the language tamil at the local tamil academy
CyberPatriot(cyber security competition) team leader

Awards:
Norcal National Premier League Soccer Champion
Norcal State Cup Soccer Champion
Letter of commendation from the National Merit scholarship program

Additional Info:
Finished Calculus 1 at local community college.

Senior Year Classes:
 Ap physics 1
 Ap Computer science
 Ap statistics

Great test scores and good GPA but you have selected several very competitive majors. Your EC’s are very good and if you have some outstanding essays, they may tip the scales in your favor since your UC GPA is within range but below the averages.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19:

UCB: 12%
UCLA: 14%
UCSD: 39%
UCSB: 49%
UCD: 52%
UCI: 57%
UCSC: 83%
UCR: 90%
UCM: 92%

UCSB/UCD: High Match
UCI: Match-High Match

Make sure you include UCSC/UCR and/or UCM to your list for solid Match/Safety schools. Good Luck.

Thank You for the great feedback. I will definitely include UCSC and the other UCs as well.

Do AP tests count in admission for UC Davis?

AP tests are only used for college credit and not considered in admission decisions. AP classes however show academic rigor which is considered by the UC’s and of course doing well in an AP class helps your GPA.

How your application is reviewed posted from UC Website:

We spend time evaluating your academic achievements in light of the opportunities available to you and your demonstrated capacity to contribute to the intellectual life at UC. The 14 factors we weigh are:

Academic grade point average in all completed “a-g” courses, including additional points for completed UC-certified honors courses.

Scores on the following tests: ACT with Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test.

Number of, content of and performance in academic courses beyond the minimum “a-g” requirements.

Number of and performance in UC-approved honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate Higher Level and transferable college courses.

Identification by UC as being ranked in the top 9 percent of your high school class at the end of your junior year (Eligible in the Local Context, or ELC).

Quality of your senior-year program as measured by the type and number of academic courses in progress or planned.

Quality of your academic performance relative to the educational opportunities available in your high school.

Outstanding performance in one or more specific subject areas.

Outstanding work in one or more special projects in any academic field of study.

Recent, marked improvement in academic performance as demonstrated by academic GPA and the quality of coursework completed or in progress.

Special talents, achievements and awards in a particular field, such as visual and performing arts, communication or athletic endeavors; special skills, such as demonstrated written and oral proficiency in other languages; special interests, such as intensive study and exploration of other cultures; experiences that demonstrate unusual promise for leadership, such as significant community service or significant participation in student government; or other significant experiences or achievements that demonstrate the student’s promise for contributing to the intellectual vitality of a campus.

Completion of special projects undertaken in the context of your high school curriculum or in conjunction with special school events, projects or programs.
Academic accomplishments in light of your life experiences and special circumstances, including but not limited to: disabilities, low family income, first generation to attend college, need to work, disadvantaged social or educational environment, difficult personal and family situations or circumstances, refugee status or veteran status.

Location of your secondary school and residence.

Another question u/Gumbymom, I forgot to include a big EC for myself in the post above. I just finished an 80 hour internship with a local inventor (he made a lot of money early in his career and now he creates his own products and ideas) who makes his own hardware and software from scratch. I spent 80 hours helping him create protoypes for an emergency responder communication device. We designed several circuit boards and I helped him write the codebase for the product (Java and some assembly language). Will this tip me over the edge for a match at UCSB and UC Davis, my essays are really good too (got them reviewed by AP lang and also Lit teacher at my school)

bump

EC’s and essays can have a definite impact on your chances but since these are subjective, it is impossible to determine how much.

Hey Gumbymom is it easier to get into the math and computation majors at Davis and UCSD than the CS/CE major. If changing my major to applied math/computation makes a big difference than I might as well put that as my major.

For UCSD, Mathematics majors are capped just like the CS/CE majors so there is no difference which major(s) you pick since UCSD recommends selecting a non-capped major for an alternate. I would imagine it would be slightly easier to switch into the Math/Computation major than into CS/CE at UCSD if you do not get a direct admit. The amount of risk would be up to you.

At UC Davis, Math/Computation major is in the College of Letters and Sciences which admits by Division (Math and Physical Science) vs Engineering which admits by major, so probably a slightly easier admit.

My advice is always select your first choice major if that is what you want pursue. Also look up how difficult it is to switch majors if you change your mind.

Awesome advice like always. So atleast for Davis, would you recommend that I put CS and CE as my first choice and mathematical and scientific computation as my alternate? Would they actually consider me for the alternate major?

This is what UC Davis states on their website:

Choosing a Major
You should apply to a major that interests you, rather than to one in which you think you have the best chance of admission. You should be aware that many of our most popular majors have additional coursework and GPA requirements that must be fulfilled before you can enroll. We also suggest that you include an alternate major in a different field-of-study when you apply; we may consider it if you are not admitted in your first-choice major.