What are my chances???

<p>i have JMU, GMU and VCU as backup schools. I know TJ has incredibly smart ones.</p>

<p>You have the actual traditional match/safety mix for many NoVa students.</p>

<p>The traditional student will have VT and JMU as matches. GMU and VCU as safeties.</p>

<p>Yes, TJ is the magnet, but schools like York and McLean are no slouch schools either. TJ students will apply to VT and JMU as their safety and UVA will be their match.</p>

<p>Here’s the thing to understand about admissions. They don’t know if the student that applies is only applying because it is a safety. If they offer admittance, they do so believing they will matriculate. They do have a formula knowing that not everyone will not matriculate, but that does not change the fact that they believe the TJ student will take UVA over JMU or VT. My cousin graduated 8 yrs ago from TJ, he and many of his classmates went to JMU because it has a strong LAC program.</p>

<p>You need to be the strongest applicant you can be, and then just wait like everyone else. We have been down this road, it is nerve racking to say the least, but we all survived and you will too.</p>

<p>I think blue is correct they do not accept SAT subject tests, which again works against your favor because your ACT composite is much lower than those 700 scores. Did you take the SAT? It seems you do better on the SAT than the ACT.</p>

<p>no, i havent take the sat. As i said i’m not too good at english.SAT has more english than ACT.</p>

<p>I would consider the SAT. The difficulty with CR reading is usually not with English, it’s in understanding what the question is actually asking. There are double negatives, and you have to have the patience for decent reading comprehension. Try taking a timed practice test and see how you do. It is a different format and pacing then the ACT. You may be surprised.</p>

<p>There is a quick way to see how you will do on the SAT. The rule of thumb is to take the PSAT score and place a 0 behind the number you received. For example you scored a 193, it would be expected that you would get @1930, or even higher. All of my kids scored between 100 and 200 points more because now they had the full yr of Math and English to create a stronger balance before taking the SAT. </p>

<p>The part which most kids have issues with is the analogy section. A foot is to a golf club as a hand is to what? If you buy practice books you will be able to start seeing how the analogies work.</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Analogies? I thought they were gone from the new SAT.</p>