What are some BS(Boarding schools) that have a high acceptance rate for 10th graders?

I am applying to 10th grade boarding and my top schools are Choate, St. Andrews and Deerfield Academy! Are theese good?

1 Like

For better or worse, BS as a general rule do not break out their 10th grade acceptance rate. To be safe, I would assume that the rate for 10th graders - at least for those schools who accept a meaningful # of 10th graders - is the same as that for 9th graders. Fewer spots yes, but also fewer applicants.

The conventional wisdom on CC is always to widen your net to include schools with meaningfully higher acceptance rates, especially if Plan B isn’t so great.

4 Likes

Some schools have a more significant 10th grade entry point. They will tell you if that’s the case. Pomfret is one, I imagine there are others.

Thank you so much! Are there any other schools that have a more significant 10th grade entry point? Perhaps Berkshire or Kent?

I asked this question at schools we visited last year. Frederick Gunn admits a lot of 10th graders. Concord said they rarely admit any 10th graders. It really varies by school and is something you should ask on tours or in your interviews. Berkshire or Kent were in the middle – they will admit some but not necessarily a significant amount.

1 Like

Take a look at the school websites. Many of them will breakdown the size of their 9th - 12th class sizes.

1 Like

I am also applying for 10th grade and I am looking for schools who break down the entry rates for each grade. Could you tell me a few?

Lawrenceville has a 28% acceptance rate for 10th grade. They add about 100 students for new entry at 10th grade.

1 Like

George adds quite a few sophomore year. I think it’s mostly boarders (but I could be wrong about that.)

Check out Tabor and St Marks as well (St Marks seemed to have more boarder spots for 10th graders than day student 10th grade applicants).

2 Likes

Adding Mercersburg to schools that have a sizable planned 10th grade entry point! Freshman class is 80 and they add 40 more for 10th grade.
I’ll also add that a school that plans for 10th grade as an arrival point typically will do a very good job of welcoming those students with official orientation, etc.

1 Like