What GPA is needed for an Ivy track recruit?

I am a track and field thrower who is reaching the recruiting standards of multiple Ivy League schools. I understand that the GPA is the most important part of an application and mine is rather lackluster. A 3.67 is the highest unweighted GPA I can achieve at this point. Would that even give me a chance? I have yet to take the SAT or ACT but what are some benchmarks to compensate the GPA if I do have a chance?

1 Like

Yes, if you are a good enough athlete that Gpa is fine.

Ivies are test optional for now, but coaches will best advise you.

3 Likes

I think your unweighted GPA is in the ballpark. For the SAT and/or ACT, higher is better. Ivy coaches all wanted transcripts and scores early on in the recruiting process, and were very clear about the grades/scores they were looking for. You might be surprised by how much pull some of the coaches have for the right athlete.

Since you haven’t taken SATs yet, I assume you are a Sophomore now?

1 Like

Congratulations on your athletic accomplishments so far. Keep it up!

If you asked this question before the pandemic, folks on this board would have given you more precise answers. But, to my knowledge, nobody knows what the Ivies are doing with the Academic Index (look it up) in a test optional world (the AI was essentially calculated based on a combination of GPA and ACT/SAT, with more weight on the ACT/SAT).

I agree with @TonyGrace and @LurkerJoe that a 3.67 should be good enough if you are “good enough” athlete. So you shouldn’t hesitate to reach out to coaches. The earlier you can start those discussions, the better. They are the only ones that can give you reliable information on their particular mix of athletic standards/GPA/Test Score requirements.

With that said, I have a child that was an Ivy-recruited track athlete during the transition to test optional admissions. If you were my 2nd child going through the process, I would say to aim for the school’s median ACT or SAT scores. That GPA/Test Score combination should get you a positive pre-read result from every Ivy. But, even if you have a lower score, and this board knows plenty of athletes with low test scores, continue your pursuit and look to the coaches for their guidance.

3 Likes

I agree with the others your GPA is ok if you have recruitable times/metrics. What year are you? I do recommend you prep and take an SAT or Act, even tho many schools allow recruits to apply TO. It will likely help you if you get 1450+, potentially even 1400+. Just depends on the whole package.

Tagging @politeperson who can add insights for track and field recruiting.

2 Likes

Welcome and good luck!
I had a kid that was recruited for T&F and received a LL a to a top Ivy. If you are a strong enough athlete/thrower, the coaches will be interested and will be reaching out if you have not made contact.
As you may know, it is a bit of a combo on the GPA, SAT/ACT-AI and where you stand or rank on their recruiting board. I believe it may vary a bit as well depending on the particular Ivy school and the track program’s depth and needs.
Others may have a better sense on the bench marks, and there are formulas on line for calculating the AI. All I can add or advise is to keep working on the academics, which I am sure you are doing, as they do help with recruiting and your chance to receive a LL.

I agree with others that a 3.67 for the right athlete is probably fine. The coaches will know exactly what they want and most are very clear about what is needed on the academic side.

Are you a sophomore now?

Yes I am a sophomore now. I should have been more clear, the 3.67 is the highest GPA I can reach if I get all A’s junior and senior year.

I should have been more clear, the 3.67 is the highest GPA I can reach if I get all A’s junior and senior year. Would that case be different?

1 Like

What is your unweighted GPA, core courses only, now?

1 Like

You will be applying in September-October of your Senior year, so you will be applying with grades and scores through Junior year, and knowledge of the courses you are taking Senior year.

Have you taken PSATs?

The summer after your sophomore year in HS is a good time to reach out to coaches. Fill out the recruiting forms online, then send an email to the coaches telling them your class, grades (weighted and unweighted), any scores you have, and your distances, and let them know you filled out the forms online.

Send the email to head coach, throws coach, and recruiting coordinator (if there is one listed).

Your email should have a call to action. Asking what type of marks, scores and grades are needed to be on their recruiting list at this point is a good question to ask at this point.

1 Like

See @LurkerJoe ’s post.

My unweighted GPA for only math, English, science, and social studies is 3.125

1 Like

No foreign language?

Regardless if the GPA is in that area, some of the more selective colleges may take a pass. Do you have high rigor, eg. a high proportion of honors and AP courses?

Have you shared your transcript with any coaches yet? If so what was their feedback?

As someone else said above, your 6 semester GPA is the GPA that will be go through pre-reads (where that’s a thing).

I have to say that may be a barrier. Again, a lot of it comes down to how good an athlete you are, but T&F is not a very low AI sport. I’m sure @politeperson will correct me if I am wrong.

Once you can talk to coaches (June 15th?) they will advise you. Schedules and transcripts were requested/discussed on all our first calls. It’s not just about grades, rigor is also important. Coaches need to make sure you will thrive at the school.

In your shoes I’d prep in earnest for the SAT/ACT over the summer and plan on taking it early fall. I solid score might help settle some concerns and move the conversation forward since you won’t have any Jr year grades to show yet.

Also, make sure to cast a wide recruiting net so you have options.

2 Likes

3.3 with Spanish, sorry I did not know it was included. All of my courses are honors and AP courses. I have yet to send my transcript to any coach, I am waiting until the end of my current season.

My GPA really tanked during this year but I am taking steps to make sure it doesn’t happen in the future.

1 Like

What is considered a solid SAT/ACT?

2 Likes

It’s great that you are taking steps to move forward towards improving grades.

In terms of recruiting, don’t limit yourself to the Ivy league schools. If your throws are approaching/at those standards there are many other schools (D1/2/3 and NAIA) that would love to have you.

Do you/will you have budget constraints? Qualify for need based aid? Be full pay?

2 Likes

I will not have any budget constraints, I will be able to pay full tuition.

What are some other schools you recommend I look into?

And what did you mean by more selective schools?

@politeperson ?

1 Like