What is considered an "A" at Virginia Tech??

<p>Okay! So I am really scared about my admission chances at Virginia Tech now. I plan on applying to General Engineering next year (I am a current Junior in hs), and I hear that it is vital to get an "A" in math and science courses, especially Physics. Well, I got a 91 in Physics (due to family problems earlier in the school year), and my school considers this a "B". However, I know some schools would consider this an A-. Do you think this could ruin my chances?? Would this be an A or a B??? Virginia tech is my dream school and I want to be the first female engineer in my family. This probably sounds stupid, but I am really hard on myself and this is worrying me. Thanks.</p>

<p>I would think they would consider it an A… I know AT VT that would be an A- (DS was halfway through his first semester when he discovered 90 or above is not just an A at VT, nearly gave him a heart attack). I would ask your HS counselor if your transcript will reflect the letter grade only, or the actual number grade.</p>

<p>If your school records it as a B on your transcript (not the number grade) it will be considered a B. I went to a high school where 93 and below was a B.</p>

<p>You should look into how your school’s transcripts are sent. When I worked in admissions, many transcripts only listed the FINAL grades and final GPA for the year. If you are able to get an A as the final grade for the year, Virginia Tech may not even know you got a 91 at any point. It really depends on your school.</p>

<p>dont sweat it dude. as long as the rest of your grades are good Im sure you can get in with one B. And besides you still have time to bring it up for your final grade right?</p>

<p>The reps have stated that they review based on the context of your high school.</p>

<p>Admissions will be aware of the grading system at your HS and will take that into account in the review of your application. I have no idea how they do so.</p>

<p>I have a similar question. This year my school has made the switch from a 7 point grading scale to a ten point grading scale, but my GPA that has been submitted to colleges all reflect the old scale. So my HS profile <em>now</em> says something that isn’t really in correlation with my stats. I’m still valedictorian but I’m worried that the new scale makes my GPA less impressionable.</p>

<p>My son’s schoold did this too. He had 2 years on a 6 point scale and 2 years on a 10 point scale with +/-. The transcript showed the grading scale for each year so VT knew which was applied where. Have you seen your H.S. transcript to see if this might be the same case?</p>

<p>Impressionable: Readily or easily influenced; suggestible.</p>

<p>VaCollegeGirl: Your GPA will not be less impressionable. I don’t think it will be less impressive either.</p>

<p>I meant to put impressive but I was auto corrected. And I suppose you’re right. I’m probably just so worried because Tech is definitely my number one choice x)</p>