what is like attending a HBCU ?

i’m a young male who is a junior in high school who is an Afro-Latino(Hispanic with African ancestry) and would like to attend an HBCU. the schools i would like to attend are Morehouse College, Howard University, Hampton University, Tenn State, FAMU, and NCCU. i’m leaning more towards Morehouse but yeah, basically i just wanted to know how life is like attending HBCU and what should i expect. tell me stuff like pros and cons, myths about HBCU, and tell me if this rumor is true, that supposedly HBCU students are very materialistic. but yeah thanks to those who answer and hope you have a great and safe day.

All blacks are not the same and all HBCUs are not the same. I suggest you visit the websites and look at some of the schools youtube or vimeo videos. If possible, visit. One of the advantages of attending a HBCU (or a small LAC) is the overall student body is small and you will get more personal attention for your faculty as compared to larger state universities. I also recommend you email the department chair of your intended major with any questions you may have.

The vast majority of the kids I know at HBCUs are extremely happy. But, you need to do your research. There are hundreds and they run the gamut. There are the larger ones, the sportier ones, the snootier ones, ones that are struggling financially so they cannot give out much aid, and on and on. If possible go on a college tour. Many AA fraternities and sororities have HBCU college tours where they go to many of the schools you listed in your post. Of course, this will be much easier if you live somewhere on the East Coast. PM me if you want to ask about a specific school. I could probably get you in touch with a student.