What is the acceptance rate of Boarding School based on #applied and #accepted from admissions letters?

I am attempting to calculate the acceptance rate of prep boarding school based on the number of students who applied, and amount accepted on admissions letters since acceptance rates have dropped significantly. If there is a school, I have not listed feel free to reply to this thread with the same format. To find the acceptance rate divide the number of students accepted by the number of students applied. Note that not all schools list amount accepted, and amount applied.

sentence:
acceptence rate:

Groton School
We received more than 1,400 applications for just 95 openings.
acceptance rate: >6.79 percent

Cate School
750 applications or 10 for every possible space.
acceptance rate: 10%

Groton School
We received more than 1,400 applications for just 95 openings.
acceptance rate: >6.79 percent

Cate School
750 applications or 10 for every possible space.
acceptance rate: 10%

St. George’s School
“Once again, we have a record admit rate, with only 12% of applicants gaining admission to St. George’s for next year.” (1100 applications for 70 spots)
acceptance rate: 12%

Deerfield Academy

we received nearly 2,300 applications for a matriculating class of 195 students.

Acceptance rate: >8.48%

I’ll say this as gently as possible. None of you are correctly calculating acceptance rate. And all of you are using significant figures incorrectly.

Acceptance rate is number accepted Ă· total applications, not number enrolled (or spots available)Ă· total applications.

You are assuming that every accepted student will enroll; they won’t. Every single school accepts more than it plans to enroll. The difference between enrolled and accepted is called yield.

13 Likes

Groton School - “We received fifteen applications for every opening this year,” 6.666667%

they accept students off of the waitlist to balance spots available and we are calculating number of students accepted. It does not matter if they enroll or not. They are still accepted

2 Likes

This is not an acceptance rate. Schools do not have 100% yield. They accept more applicants than they have seats.

You do not have enough information to calculate acceptance rates.

5 Likes

so the acceptance rate is actually lower than what we’ve calculated?

No, the acceptance rate is higher.

5 Likes

Yes. But none of the numerators are the number of students accepted.

No, it’s higher.

So as an example, if a school says:

1000 applications received

120 accepted

70 enrolled

The acceptance rate is 12%, not 7%, with a yield of 58%

5 Likes

deleted

Now that it is post March 10, it is kind interesting to know yield rates from previous years.

For the absolute top colleges (like HSM) I think the yield rates I have read (probably from 2021?) is >70%. I recall maybe the Phillips has something around 80% yield … not sure if there are any real data out there for prep schools.

Even higher. Harvard and Stanford are in the 80’s and MIT is high 70’s. But those are extreme examples

1 Like

oh ok I understand

I was only reporting SG numbers, which were taken directly from an email and direct communication from the head of school.

1 Like

@fantasticreading congratulations on your acceptance yesterday! :sparkles:

Although the application numbers are interesting to know, @skieurope and @CCName1 are correct with regard to your analysis. Take a look at Lawrenceville’s admission data from last year, which better illustrates how this works. Here is a still from one of their webinars.

I would add that this sort of information can also be limited in that it does not distinguish between domestic and international applicants (who are applying to different pools). I have been told that US applications have levelled off but there has been a significant increase in international application over previous years, but this is anecdotal.

2 Likes

Wondering what 11/5 or 4/6 means….

Also, I heard there were way fewer babies born in 2008. This may cause BS application numbers to fall rather than increase. The bigger application number may simply reflect more applications per person rather than more applicants. This means the admission is not getting harder even if admission rates are lower.

2 Likes

In addition, for many (not all) schools day students are a decent percentage of the total. I wouldn’t assume (someone can prove me wrong) that that pool has identical admit %.

1 Like

I have a hunch that the second number is number enrolled, given that it’s almost always lower (Hong Kong…?)

Anyways, that’s a huge increase. I think when I applied, the number of applicants was 2,000…+25%. Crazy.

Also, it looks like you can tell international admit rates for some specific countries. 5/105=4.8% for South Korea is Ivy League-college-level, wow.

3 Likes

You are not wrong. Every subcategory has a different acceptance rate. In few cases, if any, will a school provide a detailed breakdown of acceptance rate

3 Likes