What should I do? [re: athletic recruiting]

I’m entering freshman year of college at a school and I thought I’d be playing basketball there but I’m not can I still get recruited to d3s for what I did in high school I had some d3 offers before senior year and had a really good senior year for reference and I have great grades

I’m sorry basketball didn’t work out. You can contact the coaches who had given you offers last year (if you are interested in those schools), and send them film. Do you have a good highlight reel? Whether on Hudl or YouTube or whatever?

You can certainly contact other coaches as well. Earliest you would be able to transfer is Spring 2024 semester, so not in time for the basketball season.

If you do enroll in college this Fall, your NCAA eligibility time clock will start ticking, whether you play basketball this year or not. Generally, you have 4 years of eligibility that must be completed in 5 years. Good luck.

Can coaches help me transfer as far as getting in

I am not sure what you mean. If you mean as a hook in admissions, say to a highly selective school, yes…same type of athletic hook is possible, even for transfers. Ask the coaches these questions, they are the ones who know how it works at their school.

ETA: When you communicate with coaches, please write in proper grammar using punctuation, full sentences, and paragraphs.

2 Likes

Why did you think you’d be playing there ? Can you walk on or play club/intramural.

I put up really good stats my senior year and talking with the coaches they kinda made it seem like I’d be on the team or at least get a tryout but then when I got there the coach said no one gets a tryout and there is no club team I’m just kinda not playing right now

I don’t understand this - they made it seem.

I’m not an athlete parent but that doesn’t make sense.

So you have a decision to make as you go off to school.

Do you attend - and play as a student and play intramurals.

Do you not attend, take a gap year, and re start with the best possibility of aid.

Do you go to a community college, save money, but now you’re a transfer and at many schools, aid possibilities are diminished.

I’m not sure how one signs up to school to play basketball without a firm commitment, etc. but again, I’m not a sports parent.

But seems to me, these are your choices.

Unless you have some kind of pro basketball aspirations, I’d say you chose the school for a reason so if you can afford it, go - and play intramurals.

There are enough gym rats everywhere for you to get some of your basketball fix fulfilled.

Weren’t you already trying to be recruited or walk on for track? The story here keeps changing. Doesn’t really add up.

1 Like

Were you “recruited” at NCF?
Other than this, did you reach out to coaches with academic&athletic stats and ANY college coach OFFICIALLY email you back stating you could try out?

1 Like

If that is your real name, I encourage you to change it.

Email admin@collegeconfidential.com to change your user name.

To answer the question in your thread title, my opinion is that you should move on from athletic recruiting. You pursued it, and it hasn’t worked out. You accepted a spot at a college you presumably like, so go and make the most of it. Since all your other threads are about track recruiting, try walking on to that team. Or find another outlet for athletics.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.