Where are you finding electric charging stations? And any other EV discussion?

Continuing the discussion from the other EV thread

I live in a small town in rural northern Michigan. We have 3 public charging stations. We have 3 major roads or highways. Our town I would call it a gateway to upnorth. So one charging station for each route out of town.

I think that’s pretty good. 2 of the 3 charging stations have a fast food restaurant attached or walking across a parking lot. So it would not be difficult to plug in your car, grab a bite to eat and getting back on the road.

Please feel free to add any other conversation about EV’s, hybrids or PHEV’s here

3 Likes

:kissing_heart: deleted

1 Like

When I saw this thread title I starting thinking of public places I have seen charging stations recently: Meijer (grocery store), public libraries, local university, etc. Then out of curiosity I found this helpful website - new to me but probably not to others who truly need to know:
Here’s the example for Ohio:
https://www.plugshare.com/directory/us/ohio

1 Like

There are a lot of EV apps to find the myriad of chargers(theses are the apps on my phone). This is over and above the Tesla superchargers that show up on your car nav screen. The Tesla chargers may become the gold standard universal charging port design.

1 Like

You’re missing ABRP “A Better Route Planner”. I don’t like it that much and have never converted but I know a lot of EV owners love it. Also missing EA “Electrify America”!

1 Like

Oh yes I forgot that one (the route planner one) .I’ve seen it discussed a lot on the Tesla divas Facebook page. I put those apps on My phone 5 years ago. There are probably a ton More now!

2 Likes

There are chargers in many parking garages, especially those for medical centers and some shopping centers. A few chargers do not require any payment (a nice surprise) while most do require an account or other means of payment.

So far, all chargers I’ve seen are fully functional and compatible with my Prius Prime. I have not come across any broken chargers in public spaces. 4 shopping center parking lots within 4 miles of my home have 2 chargers apiece. I have not yet seen a stand-alone charging station on Oahu.

My friend, who owns a 2017 Leaf with a degraded battery gets nervous if she drives too far because she is uncertain if her car can get where she needs to get and back home without needing a recharge on the road. I have never charged my hybrid except at home or on a random free charger at a shopping center.

2 Likes

There are two locations in my town. One with one plug at a car dealer and one with four plugs at a boarding school. It looks like there’s more if I expand out but the next closest to me says restricted, next closest after that is at a neighboring town’s DPW office. There just isn’t a lot. I don’t see any at shopping centers.

1 Like

I live in a city of 40,000. I see several (3-4) at car dealerships. One at a new and very busy fast food place. One at a brand new hotel. One in a small new small apartment building with a tiny hard to get into lot. One private where they will tow you if you use it. (I’ve seen it done walking in to work) 2 are at an educational facility in a part of town I’d never go and there’s nothing nearby to do/eat/etc. and one downtown that wouldn’t be so bad to get to but I have no idea how much it’s used.

That doesn’t seem like much to me nor convenient.

1 Like

My son just bought a new car. A hybrid.

They couldn’t even find a dealer that would let them test drive a hybrid. A plug in hybrid? None to be found.

Finally after looking and calling, they put down a deposit on a Honda, because that was the only way they could get the car they wanted.

I’m not sure how we are going to get people to convert to EV and plug in hybrids, when they can’t find any to buy

Until there are actual vehicles to test drive and buy, finding chargers is the least of the issues

1 Like

On the road - stopped to charge. It’s almost done. Here’s the price

2 Likes

$0 for us at Superchargers. It all on Elmo. :wink: Back in 2017, Tesla was using this as an incentive. Apparently, Tesla is offering this $0 charging for the length of ownership again as an incentive for some models.

1 Like

My friend charged her leaf last night while we were in a meeting. After 2 hrs, 3 minutes, her car was fully charged and she paid $5.35. Last time she charged it at same place a month ago, she paid $1.50. Strange—guess they may have raised the rates.

Or she kept the car at the charger a bit too long. Some chargers ding you for not freeing up the charger after the car was fully charged.

3 Likes

Per my daughter, the first 2 hours, the pricing for charging is one rate. After 2 hours, the price doubled. She makes sure to mover her car within that 2 hour window.

I suspect that it was a very expensive 3 minutes.

It’s so that people don’t park their car at a charging station, so that others get a chance to charge their cars. It was an issue at the free charging stations my daughter had at her apartment complex.

2 Likes

Tesla slaps you with $1/minute or so after the grace period when the charging is completed. My husband’s boss found that the hard way when he left his car at the charger for an hour.

Depends on the charger. Some are always free. Some have a standard rate. Some start charging you more after 1 hour. Some after 2 hrs. Some are in parking decks where there’s a fee for the deck, but the charging is free. There’s no hard and fast rule, just like gas prices can be different at different gas stations.

1 Like

BTW this app was acquired by Rivian and its functionality being baked into Rivian’s nav system. I believe they intend to keep it up and running as an app for all however.

In/around Boston where we are there are chargers everywhere it seems. Movie theater lots, superstore lots, the ubiquitous Tesla SC stations, all over the place really.

3 Likes

In my towns of about 90,000 in North Carolina there are 28 level 2 or level 3 chargers. They are located places like parks, shopping centers with grocery stores, parking decks, town hall, restaurants, hotels, doctor’s offices, Starbucks, gyms, park & ride lots, the aquatic center, the senior center, the college, also many work places.

The next city adjacent to us has even more chargers in similar places, plus libraries, museums, schools, car dealerships, and more.

PlugShare is my go to app to find a charger. I like that chargers are reviewed and rated on it. You can see if anyone has had any problems with a charger or if they note a good restaurant or coffee shop or clean restroom nearby.

1 Like

I just looked it up for my town of 80k. There are 58 charging stations including 8 owned by the city that are free.

3 Likes