Where to Send Scholarships?

<p>I’ve received a couple outside scholarships from a few foundations, and I wanted to know how I can get them into UA’s hands. What address should I tell these foundations to send the scholarship money to?</p>

<p>Good question. My son has hand-carried his to Student Receivables. Let me see if they have a mailing address.</p>

<p>Edit to add…here it is…</p>

<p>Address:</p>

<p>The University of Alabama - Student Services
105 Student Services Building
Box 870120
801 Campus Drive
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487</p>

<p>Phone: (205) 348-5350
Fax: (205) 348-9222</p>

<p>Yes! Thank you so much!</p>

<p>My son JUST received a very unexpected $1000 scholarship tonight at his high school senior awards ceremony, so this is a very relevant topic, thank you. Yeah! :)</p>

<p>Here is a link to FAQs about Student Receivables (and Payables!) - there is good info on this link: [Frequently</a> Asked Questions](<a href=“http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/Frequently.html]Frequently”>http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/Frequently.html) </p>

<p>One of the FAQ’s is: “I am receiving a scholarship from a non-UA organization. Where should the organization mail the check?” The scholarship check should be mailed to The University of Alabama, Office of Student Receivables, Box 870120, Tuscaloosa, Al 35487-0120.</p>

<p>I would be sure that the organisation includes your full name + CWID# + any other details that will identify you, such as your crimson email. If you ask, organisations will also send you an email confirmation when their check has been sent.</p>

<p>Thank you for the info!</p>

<p>Question from an ignorant parent of a prospective student: If the OP gave his home address instead of the University of Alabama address, would that work just as well? Are there any other implications to getting the scholarships routed through the U of A Student Services?</p>

<p>My son’s private scholarship is sent to our home, and he hand carries it to the office above. We could send it in, but he carries it.</p>

<p>m2ck, Sorry what I meant to say is that the scholarship money belongs to the student, right? Why should it even go to the Student Services office?</p>

<p>No, the scholarship $ does not always belong directly to the student. Some scholarships are only for tuition; some are only for ‘billable expenses’ (i.e., anything that is turning up on the student’s account, such as tuition; fees; room/board, but NOT books); some scholarships are for anything. </p>

<p>In a lot of cases the scholarship will be made out to the University, making it impossible to cash on your own. Usually the scholarship giver will not send it direct to you unless you can use it for ‘anything’. They want to know it’s being used at the University you said you would use it at. You may have to read the scholarship application carefully to figure out if he needs to send it to UA or can deposit himself. If it is renewable, you will probably want to follow the rules carefully from the get-go!</p>

<p>m2ck, Sorry what I meant to say is that the scholarship money belongs to the student, right? Why should it even go to the Student Services office?</p>

<p>Well, often the checks are in the name of the school or are stipulated that they must be used for tuition. Schools require that they be made aware of all outside scholarships. </p>

<p>Most schools will reduce “need-based grants” when scholarships are awarded. However, your aid from Bama is merit based so that wouldn’t be a problem. But, if you were awarded federal aid, like work study, and the outside scholarships covered any need, then you’d lose the work study (a federal aid that requires that you have need).</p>