Where to stay and what to do?

<p>My daughter and I are planning a quick trip to Philadelphia in April to look at Uarts where she has been accepted. We are planning to schedule the tour, specifically the performing arts department tour, but what else should we see while we are there? Neither of us have ever been there. We booked a room (not easy to find a room already!) at the Holiday Inn Express on Walnut street. Is that within walking distance to the University? Also, any recommendations on the best way to get to/from the city from the airport? (we will not have a car) I am hoping to contact someone at Uarts today and talk with them about how she can make the most of her visit but I was hoping some of you would have some personal insights as well. Thank you!</p>

<p>Congrats to your D! My D is a freshman at UArts, and is very happy. You can take a cab from the airport, which is around $28. You can also take the subway, directly from the airport to center city Philly, a short walk from your hotel. This would be fine if your arrive in daylight and the weather is ok.</p>

<p>Walnut street is a short walk from the UArts buildings, especially Terra which houses the MT program. Hamilton, the main admin building is a few blocks further away, but still very walkable. I usually stay at the Doubletree, which is right on Broad street, but pricier than the Holiday Inn.</p>

<p>If you have time, I recommend seeing the historical center, with Independence Hall, the liberty bell, etc. I was moved by seeing the actual places that the Declaration of Independence was written and read to the people. Also walking distance from your hotel. The Philadelphia Art Museum is wonderful also, if you have time. Lots of great restaurants in the UArts area. Let me know if you want recommendations. Also let me know if you would like to ask my D any questions.</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>

<p>See the UArts theaters including the Arts Bank ( nice walk from the Holiday Inn and Terra) and the Merriam (almost across from Terra). The Merriam is doing a main stage production of Legally Blonde the Musical from March. 27 to 31st. That would give you an idea of their MT productions if you are there that early for April visit. </p>

<p>If we are on our own my D (a senior in MT) or I usually take the Lady Liberty van into town - right to the door of your hotel. It costs $12 plus a tip per person. I have been in some very grungy cabs in Philly so actually kind of like Lady Liberty but you so have to stop along to way to pick up and let off other people. LL stops running at midnight. </p>

<p>We usually stay at Double tree or Holiday Inn. Both are very convenient. Of course once my D has an apartment I stay with her when on my own visiting. </p>

<p>There are wonderful restaurants, theaters, shopping street, squares, … in addition to historical places. My D loves Mexican at El Vez and Cuban at Mixto. PM me if you have any questions…</p>

<p>and yes - some kids ARE from other states than Oregon!!</p>

<p>Doubletree Hilton across the street!
Pay once for parking and you can go in and out if you want.
Nice food court across the street in the hotel that has Starbucks across from the F building.
Beautiful history, architecture is breathtaking.
Enjoy!</p>

<p>Thanks Oregon Moms! That’s pretty funny that you are both from there. (I have a very dear friend who lives outside of Portland) I wish we could go the week Legally Blonde is playing but that is right at mid-terms for my daughter. This whole high school thing gets in the way of our plans all of the time. Sheesh. :)</p>

<p>I will check on the Doubletree, thanks for the recommendation. We usually stay in Hilton properties and are hhonors members so that could help. It’s easy enough to cancel what we have. At a quick glance, the cost is not much different and likely worth it. Thanks for the tip on the Lady Liberty van. We used Super shuttle in NY and it sounds similar, with the stops to pick up other passengers etc. It worked out great and was much cheaper than a cab. </p>

<p>I am thinking of getting a later flight out on Saturday evening so that we can stay for the day instead of heading home in the afternoon. It would be nice to have the day to explore.</p>

<p>Thanks again for your help, I will post again after our trip.</p>

<p>Speaking of subways, do your kids use the subway in Philadelphia? What about buses?</p>

<p>The subways are convenient to UArts, but fairly limited in where they go. Buses get everywhere.</p>

<p>If you are at UArts the weekend of April 19,20, there will be a freshman MT showcase in the Artsbank theater. I will be there, so let me know if you will too.</p>

<p>If you only have 1 day in Philadelphia, part of which will be utilized for the tour, I would suggest that you combine visiting Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell with walking the streets around the neighborhood to get a sense of where your daughter will be living if she chooses to attend UArts. If you exit the Terra Building and turn right, the next street is Chestnut Street. Take a right on Chestnut and it is an 8 block walk to Independence Hall on Chestnut. Then walk south on 6th Street (the direction of traffic) to Walnut and turn right on Walnut. Head up Walnut past the Walnut Street Theatre, past the Forrest Theatre and turn left on 12th Street. Walk south on 12th Street to Spruce and turn right on Spruce, passing the Spruce Street UArts’s dorm. Turn Left on 13th Street and walk 1 block over to Pine where you can turn right on Pine and have a great home style Italian meal at Georgio’s on Pine or turn left on Pine and walk down to 11th to Mixto. After the meal, turn back up Pine (left from Georgio’s and right from Mixto) and walk up to Broad Street and make a right to walk back to the Double Tree, passing the Wilma Theatre, the Kimmel Center, the Meriam Theatre. Lot’s of walking but you will get a real flavor of the neighborhood and many of the restaurants and cafes on the east side of Broad Street.</p>

<p>When on the tour, make sure you see the Caplan Theatre in the Terra Building, The Arts Bank main stage and caberet, the Merriam, the dance studios and voice lesson studios in the Terra and the inside of a dorm (Spruce Street dorm is a good representative sample). Since meal plans are now mandatory, try to eat lunch in the main cafeteria next to the Terra Building. Enjoy your visit and congratulations.</p>

<p>Giorgio’s-YUM!! That’s where I plan to be on the night of April 20!</p>

<p>Thanks so much! We have the whole day Friday and then Saturday morning (don’t need to be to the airport until 2:30pm) Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. I will let you know how it goes. :slight_smile: (thanks for the congratulations, she was pretty surprised and thrilled to get that acceptance)</p>

<p>Oh and we did switch to the Doubletree and used our honors points, got the room for free so that’s good. I didn’t realize how many points I have racked up in the last couple of months! I am getting excited to go, and that’s saying something because the last thing I wanted to do was to take another “whirlwind” trip. Oy.</p>

<p>Thought I’d chime in, when I visited and moved in (I’m a current sophomore Acting major) my parents and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Walnut Street. That’s also where my parents stay whenever they visit as well. It’s literally just around the corner from Terra (the main academic building, where most of our classes are), and only a few blocks away from everything else. I’d say if it’s cheaper for anyone than the Doubletree, go with that. I saw you switched, and actually got the room for free…so this is for anyone else who is visiting in the future!</p>

<p>Good to know. The rates at the DoubleTree were comparable to the Holiday Inn Express, surprisingly. But it’s good to have choices depending on what’s available. I wish we could stay longer or come in the middle of the week so we could see a performance, but her HS has a very strict attendance policy (yes, even for kids who maintain As and Bs and make up all of their missed school work) where they can lose credit if they miss more than x number of days. This way she only misses Friday.</p>

<p>How did anyone find out about acceptance into the school? It is taking forever for DD to hear anything!! We must move on and visit offers already made.</p>

<p>My D got her decision within 2-3 weeks of completing her interview with Charlie Gilbert on Skype. That interview came about 2 weeks after her audition. She did not do an on campus audition. I got the impression that they were fairly quick about sending out decisions. Maybe she could send an email or call them?</p>

<p>She did get her decision via snail mail, not email. A big packet in the mailbox.</p>

<p>Okay our visit was awesome. She loved the place and the location. Very few negatives. I did notice a lot of young smokers (UArts students) right outside the buildings, and it seemed at first, like everyone was wearing black and had multiple piercings and tattoos. Sort of an odd first impression. But obviously, the more time we spent there, the less that seemed prevalent. So now her choice becomes one between an awesome acting program someplace else and MT at UArts. She’s really torn. Seems like the pros and cons are even. The Acting program has tons of opportunity for voice, music and dance. And UArts emphasizes acting first. Two big negatives about UArts is no abroad program to speak of for MTs and no Shakespeare. So not deal breakers, but something. UGH. What a choice! Good problem to have of course, but the clock is ticking…</p>

<p>Shakespeare senior year I think</p>

<p>Re; time abroad. Just remember, there are lots of programs out there in which a student could do a summer abroad and get college credit. It does not have to be through your particular school. For example, NYU is always advertising theirs. My daughter is doing 6 weeks this sumemr in Paris to get her language credits accomplished; a year’s worth in 6 weeks!</p>

<p>oregontheatermom, yes, shakespeare seminar? in senior year but they don’t do shakespeare’s plays.</p>