Which residential hall and why?

Hi there

My son got accepted by UW-Madison into the Engineering program (Fall-2015). We will be making a visit soon to check out the campus, and plan to take a housing tour.

This question is directed to any UW-Madison alumni or folks who have taken campus visits or are intending to enroll. Which residential hall would be best suited to First Year engineering students? In terms of location, learning communities etc?

Thank you
PD

Unless he lists a Learning Community as his first choice, he will be just as likely to get assigned his first choice as his last choice (all dorms must be ranked). Meaning, don’t get your heart set on one dorm (unless it is a learning community).

Some dorms are newer with larger rooms and more convenient dining with better views. Some kids want a city location, some want the serenity of Lakeshore.

Bradley is a Lakeshore dorm that is a freshmen learning community.

DeJope and Leopold are the newest dorms.

I like Chadbourne Learning community.

Have him explore the http://www.housing.wisc.edu website before your visit.

Enjoy!

@prithis

A learning community is unlikely best for a STEM student’s interests.

See the housing thread. I personally do not like Chad- high rise, rooms, corner of busy street etc. But- there are others who dislike my choices and favor Chad. It is so individual. Eons ago I chose Lakeshore while friends chose Barnard- we walked to each other’s dorms. Son was in centrally located Liz, but far from snack bars…

As a freshman he will have classes in several areas of campus so it doesn’t matter if he is close to the engineering end of campus. Ignore classroom locations (a discussion or even lecture could be held in an entirely different building than the department’s location). He needs to list his priorities and then choose. The major decision is likely Lakeshore or Southeast- suburban or city vibe. Then other factors come into play.

Too many choices.

btw- your son was accepted into the university as a whole like all other freshmen regardless of his proposed major. Engineering students need to apply to the College of Engineering when they are at UW and have an academic record there. Your son can explore the website for details.

Remember that it is HIS life and college experience. He needs to decide, not you, what seems to suit him.

My STEM daughter lived in Chadbourne learning community for 3 years. Half of one of the wings on her floor was full of students who lived in the WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) learning community the previous year.

@wis75, not sure why you would state that Chadbourne LC is unlikely best for a STEM student’s interests.

Thank you everyone for your inputs. Very much appreciated.

@wis75‌ Of course it is his life and he needs to decide :slight_smile: I was looking to help narrow down the choices for our campus and housing visit. But thanks for your input.

The Admission Decision Letter clearly mentions that he has been admitted to the College of Engineering (which he had applied for) in First Year General Engineering. What he does need to apply, after completing the pre-requisite courses (Calculus, Physics, Programming etc) during his Freshman year, is to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the 2nd year. This is clearly described in the ECE Curriculum Handbook on the website.

He does not have to apply to the College of Engineering any more, rather he needs to apply to a “degree granting department” such as ECE after his Freshman year.

Perhaps some word play/semantics here. It does no good to be in any school/college unless you are in a “degree granting department”, which is based on one’s UW record. His admission was to the university as a whole- this means he can change his mind at any time, he is not restricted to any major/department/school/college at UW. It also means if his grades are not good enough he won’t be admitted to the major (just like with any major, btw). He’ll likely do fine.

A person needs to see what the learning college focus is. Perhaps the WISE program would be good- that has changed dorms over recent years so it hasn’t always ben Chad. It would have tough for me to decide if they had had that back in my day. Lakeshore or a highrise, hmmm… I keep countering Chad because I don’t want people on CC to feel it is in any way better than many other dorms- it all depends on individual taste.

^^WISE is only for Women in Science and Engineeting. @prithis has a son. Also WISE has never been in Chadbourne.