Which SUNY- University at Buffalo or Binghamton?

I was accepted to both Binghamton and University at Buffalo and am torn over which I should choose. For Binghamton, I was admitted direct-entry into the Decker School of Nursing. However, I was accepted into Buffalo’s Honors program which guarantees a seat in the nursing program as well. I also received a scholarship of 5k a year from Buffalo. Which is a better school for nursing, and which is a better choice?

Since you are guaranteed admission into nursing no matter where you go I would pick UB because you have the scholarship which makes it cheaper and I believe the honors program gives you priority registration so you will be able to pick your classes before other people. Buffalo also has more going on in terms of healthcare and the school is known for its prehealth programs. That being said decker is a solid choice as well.

What were your stats

I would visit both and compare statistics between those two programs.

@ks3210 i can tell you from personal experience DO NOT!!! go to buffalo. I am here know looking to transfer out. If all you are interested in are fraternities and sorties then come here. Otherwise you don’t wanna go here

Please elaborate on your bad experiences at UB @transferoutt.

Specific reasons would be very helpful to kids trying to decide whether or not to attend.

Thanks

Theres very few things to do on weekends. Unless you’re into frats and sororities. Otherwise you’re screwed and stuck doing nothing. Especially if you don’t have a car.

Fair enough @transferoutt

Thank you

My son currently goes to UB and he loves it there. He isn’t a kid who is into the frats or sorority parties. He says there is plenty to do and he hasn’t had a car there for the last 2 years. The dorms have events going on a lot of the nights. UB Buses will take you from North Campus to South Campus where you can hop onto a metro line to go to downtown Buffalo. He has gone to hockey games and other sporting events. They have campus buses that go to the malls on the weekends. North campus is set up so you really don’t have to go off campus unless you want to. My younger son just was accepted to UB and is probably going there too. Older son was accepted to Bing too but found it rather pretentious. On another note, if you decide to change your major UB has a lot of majors to pick from so you don’t have to transfer schools. Just our opinion.

Thanks everyone. I have decided on UB as it is more known for health sciences and has more opportunities as it is in a big city.

I am currently a second semester freshman also studying nursing at UB. Personally, I did like Binghamton more but I chose not to go since I was afraid of its location. If you would like, I could provide you a lot of information on UB as a whole, the nursing program (and prereqs; anatomy, physiology, psych, etc).
Additionally, there is MUCH more to do than just party on the weekends. Although I don’t care for UB too much, I will stay. You can go to parties (Villas, frats, dorms, etc), tons of small things to do (tonight they had Zoo-To-You, tomorrow will probably be de-stress pizza/movie, close to Canada (and major cities: Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Toronto).

Feel free to ask q’s, I’d love to help! (:

Just saw this now, but thank you so much for being so much help! As far as you know, how difficult are the prereqs for nursing, like the ones you listed? I know it depends on the person, but I’m just looking for a general answer. Also, do you have any tips/recommendations about UB in general, whether it be nursing related or not?

So sorry for the belated response. Your classes will range from extremely tough to moderate (none of your science based courses will be easy).

First Semester pre-reqs:
Anatomy (ANA113) is relatively easy class. You have lab once a week, which includes a quiz (13 total, lowest 3 dropped). I had it on south 9am-9:50am MWF, lab F 10-11:40am. Fill in notes are provided. Weekly homework is easy, though it really doesn’t factor into your grade…you just have to do it for complete the course. 3 block exams (not cumulative).

Chemistry (CHE121) is a tougher one. Professor is extremely hard to learn from and it is organic chemistry-so be prepared for that. Biochemistry was my weak point, but attend lectures and youll be okay. Additionally, online quizzes and homework may cushion your grade (they too are tough though). Four exams total, one final which is cumulative (rip). NOTE: This chemistry does NOT have a lab, so if you do not get into UB School of Nursing and want to transfer, several other schools (Bing, Platts, Brock) all require a lab component (if you feel this is significant take CHE101).

Second Semester pre-reqs:
Physiology (PGY300) is the most challenging class I have taken. It is very tough, and will require several hours of studying. This a joint taught class (a different professor teaches their specialized field; Neurology, Cardio, Respiratory, Renal, Gastrointestinal, and Endocrinology). The lowest exam score of the first five is dropped. The last exam cannot be, which you take the same day as the cumulative final. The final however is repeated test questions so keep them.

Nutrition (NTR108) is moderate. Review your modules and make flash cards. Professor is super nice and easy to understand. Fill in notes are provided. Exams are also not too bad (the content of the exams is easier than what you learn or are expected to memorize)-BUT…your grade is based solely on your 3 exams, ea 50 points…so do well!

Psychology (PSY101) is not bad. Its psychology; pretty easy for me. Five exams, lowest one dropped. EC is offered through research and will raise you to the next grade level (e.g. B+ to A-, or C+ to B-).

Human Growth and Development (NSG250) is a fun/interactive course but you need to study for this one too. It is a wide range of content and all exams (3) are cumulative. One of the better and more enjoyable classes because of the professor so she made it bearable.

*ANA113, CHE121, NSG250 are NOT recorded - so go to class!
*All courses have TA’s available, and professors have office hours/appointments
*Some professors teach all sections of the course, while others only teach one; regardless of who you have these will be the same standards/requirements.
*You need a 3.0 Pre-Req GPA…basically a B in all of your courses (or total, so like B- and B+, or C and A).
*Anything C- or lower will NOT count and must be repeated.

Feel free to ask any more Q!!

Hello, thanks for the helpful information. I want to ask what other majors you can do apart from nursing like public health, exercise science, etc what do you think of this majors?