Why are UCs so hostile to OOS people?

<p>I would basically be paying 7x as much,bring diversity, and saying “I would like to the move to California and contribute to your economy”…I mean where I am from 51% of people at our 1 state university are OOS.</p>

<p>They make it completed to get in-state tuition as well…Like I can become a citizen of California,Get my California Drivers license and Vote in California, yet you won’t give me In-state tuition for say my junior and senior year. </p>

<p>They make things complicated too…Like they have there own GPA system,there own eligibility…'Like how do you calculate your UC GPA?
Isn’t in Sophomore GPA plus Junior GPA +1.0 for 1 AP class, with the rest evenly weighted?</p>

<p>I was told you can have a 4,2 UC GPA,but if you are OOS, You can throw UCB,UCSD and UCLA out the windows right there,</p>

<p>Close to 20% of the students admitted to Berkeley, UCLA and UCSD are from out of state. (And 4.2 is the average UCGPA for Berkeley admits, in-state and out.) As to why you can't just "become" a California resident overnight? I've been paying taxes in this state for 40 years, supporting the UC system. What's wrong with the state U where your family has been paying taxes?</p>

<p>Well put it this way...Would California like me paying taxes 70 years or 80 years? I wouldn't become a resident if I didn't plan to live there.</p>

<p>My State University is pathetic, unless you plan on studying the ocean(Robert Ballard is a professor). Our most famous graduate is the guy who found CVS. There are no research opportunities or internship there either
Why should I be punished for where my parents chose to live?</p>

<p>If you wanted in-state tuition, and you planned to live in California, you should have attended a California high school for three years before entering college. That is one exception to OOS tuition, giving you instate tuition instead, you could have taken advantaged of if you were going to live in CA. (either that, or blame your parents =/ )</p>

<p>Besides, there are many great alternatives. Look at the private universities too.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, that's just how things work from state to state if you're looking at public university systems</p>

<p>I plan on applying at Santa Clara University too...but there is a lack of private research universities in California except Stanford.
How would I go to high school in California?...I live 3100 miles away.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/473260-uc-schools-state-tuition.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/473260-uc-schools-state-tuition.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>This is another thread that addresses the issue about UC instate-tuition, and also provides the direct, quoted information on receiving the instate tuition and establishing residency.</p>