Why should I choose Alabama over Ole Miss

<p>Not yet, I still need to definitely commit to a college haha. I think I want to go to an early one but it can’t interfere with my senior project presentation. And thank you for the video! (:</p>

<p>So, what is holding you back from committing to Bama. Is there a concern or question that we can answer for you?</p>

<p>Well at first I liked UConn the best, but I forgot to send in my SATs so I got put on the waitlist. Then I started going through the rest of my schools and I finally narrowed it down to Ole Miss and Bama. I just keep changing my mind between the 2 of them now :/</p>

<p>I just think that as a distant OOS state student. you’re much more likely going to find other students like yourself (traveling 1000 miles or more) than you would at Ole Miss. I can’t imagine that Ole Miss has very many students from states that don’t touch Mississippi.</p>

<p>As a UCONN grad, I wouldn’t recommend UCONN, the campus is kind of depressing and as my son says, he wasn’t applying anywhere that there were cows in the middle of campus. You can’t compare it to Bama or Ole Miss, so don’t feel that you are missing anything by ending up on the wl.
Ole Miss is known for having a very good International Studies program. I don’t know anything about Bama’s. I’m sure it is good but some student can jump in here with more information.
As I mentioned in my previous post my S strongly preferred Bama and didn’t apply to Ole Miss.</p>

<p>Thank you both!!! :slight_smile: I do like how Bama has more students from the North and near me instead of just all from the South. I have only talked to one other person going to Ole Miss from Rhode Island haha. And that is the one thing I hated about UConn! It was in the middle of farms and fields. When I visited it, I felt like we were in the middle of nowhere!</p>

<p>I think the city of Tuscaloosa has a lot more to offer than Oxford. Oxford is small (population 19,000), while T-town is about 100,000. That makes a big difference when it comes to off-campus offerings, restaurants, shopping, etc.</p>

<p>I’m also impressed by how the city and the university are working together for city improvments/renovations. The addition of the RiverWalk (very pretty), the renovation of Downtown, the addition of the Outdoor Amphitheatre to bring concerts to the city, etc. There just seems to be a lot of tax revenue flowing into the city (via the school’s success) and the city is using that money to make the city even better. </p>

<p>There is also a huge (very attractive!) federal building that is near completion in Downtown that will not only provide many new jobs, but will also spur the opening of more businesses, restaurants, shopping in that area.</p>

<p>And, lastly … the school is investing in itself…building more facilities, renovating older buildings (but keeping their historical beauty), lovely landscaping (the tulips blooming around campus this Spring were GORGEOUS), and of course the many hardwood trees (cherry, dogwood, etc) that bloomed beautifully over the last few weeks. </p>

<p>The Honors College offers amazing classes (the course listings make me want to be a student again!). </p>

<p>The city has received many quality-of-life accolades. It was named one of the “50 Best Places to Launch a Small Business” in 2009 by Fortune Small Business,[6] and one of the “100 Best Communities for Young People” by America’s Promise Alliance.[7][8]. The city of Tuscaloosa is continually listed in the top third of America’s most livable communities.</p>

<p>In recent months, we have visited several campuses as my older son was going thru the grad school process. Doing so reminded me of how much prettier Bama is than many campuses.</p>

<p>And, of course, Bama has the Crimson Tide!</p>

<p>I was searching for information on Alabama vs Ole Miss and this is the perfect thread!</p>

<p>So, my best friend is trying to choose between the two. We know about the rankings, but how about the personalities at each university? I know that obviously not everyone at Alabama will fit one stereotype and same at Ole Miss, but what general feel do you get from the student population? i.e. friendliness, diversity, how conservative, how religious, uptight/laidback, etc.</p>

<p>Okay. I don’t say much lately and can’t speak for Ol’Miss. However, I LOVE BAMA and we’re from California and others on the forum might remember the reservations I had about sending my one and only so far away to a ‘foreign’ environment!</p>

<p>However, Bama comes through, comes through and comes through. My son has had terrific classes, when there are questions there are answers and people to provide them. There are sooooooo many things to do that UA is a great place for folks to find what they like to do.</p>

<p>After the hurricane, my son’s recruitment counselor actually called to be sure he was fine and to see if he had everything that was needed. She called all of ‘her’ students.</p>

<p>Not only are the opportunities there: the opportunities are there for everyone. My son took advantage of tutoring (free) for his foreign language classes.</p>

<p>I am so appreciative of what BAma offers and that my son made the decision to go there. (And he had visited a lot of fine schools…)</p>

<p>Good luck in your decision. Having said all of the above, I know the decision will be if the school ‘feels’ right to you!</p>

<p>oh, dear. I said hurricane…I hope you know I meant tornado…duh…coffee…</p>

<p>Caveat, I think Ole Miss is a wonderful school and S loved the summer he spent there, but he chose Alabama. Another difference that strikes me about the two is the difference in bureaucracy and organization. S just received his acceptance and full tuition scholarship to Ole Miss last week, the letter was dated April 21. We are very thankful, but I just don’t understand the timing. Perhaps if we were waiting anxiously for the scholarship we would have called and found out. I know some schools were sending out late scholarships as a recruitment tool, but I would think most students would have decided by then. Maybe his was a unique situation, as I’m not sure he completed all the app materials as he knew he wasn’t going to attend. I sent a couple of emails to the regional rep during the season, none of them were returned.</p>

<p>When S went down for the summer program, he arrived on campus and the program he signed up for was cancelled. If he hadn’t received a full scholarship I would have been tempted to ask for a refund. It turned out to be very fortuitous as he signed up for a couple of other interesting things.</p>

<p>At Alabama information seems easier to come by. If you have a question some one usually gets back to you right away. Or, you have this forum. At a large school this can be an issue. </p>

<p>Love Ole Miss’ campus & the honors college has a great reputation. The gpa requirement is very high to stay in the honors college if that is what you are looking at.</p>

<p>Personalities at Bama: Friendly, helpful, committed. </p>

<p>My son would be considered ‘reserved’ but has made terrific friends. He has become involved in several different activities and tried others. Everything from dorm soccer competitions, quibich (forgive me Harry Potter fans), various service activities including AA, held a dorm office (treasurer), completed his first triathlon, went to Tennessee and Georgia for the first time, (the first for the triathlon the second for a Chinese Cultural trip), met lots of great people from all kinds of areas. He is going to be working on one of the service group projects this summer when he returns from China…yes, there with UA. These are the non-academic pursuits ( :slight_smile: ) Okay…China is academic: language and culture… He has had good classes and done well in school and I don’t think I’ve heard him complain about any class or professor.</p>

<p>Bama is a big school. There are things and people for everyone. It is a university so has breadth of beliefs and backgrounds. It just doesn’t feel like a big school.</p>

<p>We were fortunate that Momreads’ son and Sea-tide both took time to meet us when we visited a year ago. I’ll always remember the ‘roll tides’ - new experience for us and now part of our lives! :)</p>

<p>While southern, UA is not parochial.</p>

<p>* I know that obviously not everyone at Alabama will fit one stereotype and same at Ole Miss, but what general feel do you get from the student population? i.e. friendliness, diversity, how conservative, how religious, uptight/laidback, etc. *</p>

<p>Bama has many OOS students from states that don’t border Alabama. That helps it be more diverse regionally. </p>

<p>The political atmosphere is more “middle of the road” with liberals, conservatives, and moderates. However, during the 2008 election, the campus was Obama land…which many campuses were. </p>

<p>There are a variety of religions present as well as atheists/agnostics. </p>

<p>I wouldn’t say that the campus is uptight at all. LOL</p>

<p>I have the same issue, I am deciding between Ole Miss and Bama, I need help because I made a list of pros and cons, but that didn’t help at all.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>The student who started this thread chose Bama and loves it. </p>

<p>He’s from the NE…either Conn or Mass.</p>

<p>What are your pros and cons for each school?</p>

<p>What is your major?</p>

<p>I will be majoring in athletic training and…
Ole miss pros: cheaper, saftey is good, tight campus (everything is close)
Cons: doesn’t have my exact major, not the best dorms, small town</p>

<p>Alabama pros: has my exact major, better dorms, safety, huge training facility, tradition, location</p>

<p>Did you get any scholarships from either school?</p>

<p>What are your parents saying about cost and what they’ll pay?</p>

<p>Are you instate for Ole Miss?</p>

<p>I live in Wisconsin, so not in-state and they don’t send their scholarships until march, but I am tired of waiting to decide. I have done so much research which has only made it worse.</p>

<p>What are your parents saying?</p>

<p>How much will they pay?</p>

<p>Have you visited Bama?</p>

<p>Did you decide against TCU?</p>

<p>Yeah I loved TCU but it is really expensive:)
My parents say whatever college I choose is fine, so I am at a road block :(</p>