Why should I choose Alabama over Ole Miss

<p>Have you visited Bama?</p>

<p>S received scholarship info from Ole Miss last year in mid-April FYI. He had made his decision to attend Bama way before that so he wasn’t hunting it down though. I’m not sure if you are waiting for schol &/or fin aid.</p>

<p>You can read my comments earlier on this thread. Visit both schools if you can, they are very different. Lack of major is a concern.</p>

<p>The most important question is are you a college football fan? If so the choice is obvious.</p>

<p>Yeah I have visited both schools, both very different and beautiful. I love college sports, do you by chance know which school is better for athletic training? Yeah I am waiting for scholarships, but I don’t wanna wait forever you know?</p>

<p>My daughter was interested in majoring in AT so we researched a lot of schools, if you want to become a Certified AT UAs program is accredited and Ole Miss is not. This means that you cannot become an ATC with your undergrad degree if you go to Ole Miss. My D did not decide to attend UA so I cannot speak about that part but I believe the rest of this thread speaks to the school itself.</p>

<p>Interesting conversation as my son is a HS senior and looking at both schools. As a NMSF he fortunately has great scholarship opportunities at both schools. We visited both campuses and Honors Colleges in the Fall. We live in Alabama and really thought we would like Bama better. Surprisingly, we both came away with a preference for Ole Miss. </p>

<p>No decisions have been made and he is doing “official visits” for athletics (a second tier sport) at both schools in the next month or so. We liked both and they are kind of financial safety schools on his list as he has applied to some top LACs and Ivy as well. I don’t think he could go wrong at either. Both schools did a great job of making him feel wanted during meeting at HC, info sessions, tour etc. But, of all the schools we have visited (10-12) Ole Miss had the most personalized program for him on the day we visited.</p>

<p>Since Ole Miss doesn’t have your major and you can’t get certified, it’s really a “no brainer”.</p>

<p>Besides Tuscaloosa has a lot more going on. :)</p>

<p>For personalized visits…contact the Honors College. They set up personalized visits according to your major and interests.</p>

<p>First set up a regular campus tour time online…try for the early morning one on a WEEK DAY that is not a Bama holiday. The faculty and profs are not on campus on weekends or Bama holidays.</p>

<p>If time is precious, only set up the campus tour and not the info session. The info at the info session can easily be found on the Bama forum (or by asking in a thread). By only scheduling the campus tour, that will give Allison more time to schedule meetings with faculty and such earlier in the day.<br>
[Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit)</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Special Note!
Allison works very hard on these arrangements and often “hits the ground running” everyday meeting with prospective students/families, so it may take her a few days to respond. However, if you don’t get a response within a few days, resend AND call her. Sometimes mail goes to her SPAM folder and she doesn’t see it.</p>

<p>Allison does a first rate job. There was some mix up and our tour guide didn’t show. We called Allison and she picked us up in a golf cart and toured us all over campus. It was great.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all of the help everyone, I am leaning towards BAMA because of city and they have my specific major. THANKS (:</p>

<p>My son looked at Bama and Ole Miss recently. Although he liked Bama, he absolutely loved Ole Miss. Scholarship opportunities are similar at both schools, but the Ole Miss Honors College seems to have the edge in a few key areas. Oxford is a lovely college town, and in my opinion is on par with my other top personal favorite, Hanover NH (Dartmouth College).</p>

<p>We liked Ole Miss, but we felt that it didn’t have enough regional diversity…didn’t have the OOS diversity of students that Bama has. Ole Miss’s OOS students are nearly all from bordering states.</p>

<p>Both UA and Ole Miss file an OIRA Common Data Set each year. I looked at the data reported by both schools and Ole Miss has a higher percentage of out of state students than Bama (freshman and total). I did not see a breakdown of the student diversity by state on the Common Data Set. Where is that reported?</p>

<p>One thing I want to point out about Ole Miss’ honors college- I think you have to maintain a 3.6 to stay in. While not being a problem for most scholarship kids, it is a concern if you have a difficult major. Bama’s is 3.3 and more manageable.</p>

<p>Good point Idinct, I think you are correct that Ole Miss requires its honors students to maintain a 3.5 minimum GPA. They also require each honors student to compose a rather significant senior thesis prior to graduation. Those factors probably contribute to some degree of attrition from their program. I suppose it’s expected that an honors program be academically rigorous though. Do you know if Bama requires its CBHP or University Fellows students to maintain a higher GPA than the UHP 3.3 minimum?</p>

<p>I googled alabama vs ole miss because like you I can’t decide. I visite ole miss and fell in love with it then I went to the LSU vs Alabma game and fell in love with that school too! Their both different but great in their own ways but being a kid from southern California I don’t know which one woul be more suitable because it will be a very big change. Any tips would be great!</p>

<p>You’re from Calif? I think Alabama has more students who are from states that are not from the region…which creates a more diverse environment. </p>

<p>You should check out of “State Roll Call” thread to see that we have many students from all over.</p>

<p>Just as a point of information, Ole Miss’ Fall 2011 freshmen class was basically 50-50 in-state/out of state. So, we are definitely attracting students from all over the country. </p>

<p>Many find our tuition more affordable coupled with participation in the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College, Croft Institute for International Studies, Lott Leadership Institute, Center for Manufacturing Excellence (Engineering/Business), Center for Intelligence and Security Studies and Chinese Flagship Program. In addition, students are participating in our excellent School of Pharmacy and highly ranked School of Accountancy.</p>

<p>I can tell you for a fact that we have students from California, South Dakota, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, Massachusetts and a host of others. The Honors College even enrolled a student from Singapore. There’s a wealth of geographic diversity. Please visit our campus to see for yourself!</p>

<p>can you tell me more about ole miss center for intelligence and securites studies program
my daughter is looking at ole miss and is interested in this minor along with maybe forensic chemistry or phychology as her major. she has narrowed her choices of college down to ole miss and bama…</p>

<p>Flanan, one of my DDs is a member of the intelligence and securties studies cohort at Ole Miss. She is a senior. I’d be happy to answer or get answers to your questions. Feel free to PM me or ask away.</p>