Will I be disqualified from applying to UC schools if I don't take a visual art class?

I’m taking basic design but I didn’t want it and I’m scared I’m not going to do well. I’ll be lucky if I even get a C in it. I’m just not good at art and drawing. I asked my counselor for advice and if I could switch out but I’m going to still have to take some kind of class from F in the A-G requirements but I’m not good at any kind of visual or performing arts. Will the UC’s care that much if I don’t take a visual or performing arts class? I’m not doing any kind of art stuff, I’m going to do computer science, so would they still admit me even if I didn’t get a visual arts class?

If it’s an A-G requirement that you take a visual or performing art, then yes, they will care if you don’t take one. You’ll be applying with thousands of students who DID meet the A-G requirements, so why would they accept someone who didn’t meet a requirement (note it did not say it’s a recommendation, which would be different). I was horrible at any sort of art so I took choir where at least my voice would be drowned out by better, stronger voices.

As stated above, 1 year of a VPA is a UC requirement. You can demonstrate proficiency by the following:
::::::::::::::::::
UC-approved high school courses

One yearlong course of visual and performing arts chosen from the following disciplines: dance, drama/theater, music, interdisciplinary arts or visual art — or two one-semester courses from the same discipline is also acceptable.

AP or IB Examination

Score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP History of Art, Studio Art or Music Theory Exam;
score of 5, 6 or 7 on any one IB HL exam in Dance, Film, Music, Theatre Arts or Visual Arts

College courses

Grade of C or better in any transferable course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units that clearly falls within one of four visual/performing arts disciplines: dance, drama/theater, music or visual art.
:::::::::::::::::::::::

Your will application will not be immediately rejected if you do not have the VPA requirement but as pointed out by @Emsmom1, you will be competing with applicants that have fulfilled the requirement and since the UC’s are extremely competitive, you want to present the best possible application.

Take yoga or theater arts or ceramics. Take a community college course if your high school doesn’t offer something you like.

There is a reason the descriptions say ‘required.’

If you dont like visual arts and drawing, take music or art history or Drama :slight_smile:
Yes it’s mandatory - not having it will greatly decrease your odds.

Will they care? No. They will just not admit you because you did not fulfill their requirements. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of other options other than drawing.

Does debate or broadcasting count?

Debate - No, it would be an elective (“g”)
Broadcasting - Yes

https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist#/list/search/institution

every school is a little different. Find your high school at the link above and you’ll find the full list of courses for each category

Will you be disqualified?

You just won’t get in.

A lot of California High Schools have it as a graduation requirement.

Are you in California? If you are not instate, then you also have to worry about expensive OOS tuition and fees.

I don’t think Yoga qualifies as a VPA course, because the requirement is for visual and or performing arts because you have to perform in front of an audience.

Is your concern about getting a C valid? My state also has this requirement and I think schools know that it’s not every kid’s thing. Art classes are the ones I’m familiar with and students are mostly expected to do projects/assignments and have an open attitude. Teachers are there to guide - they don’t expect you to be proficient off the bat unless you in an AP or audition to get in type of class. Much in same way PE classes don’t expect you be varsity level athletes.

You might actually enjoy it.

Another thing to consider is you might not get a C. Most of the arts and visual arts classes at our local H.S. teachers grades on EFFORT not against how well you can draw or paint or play… If you go into the class with a good attitude, turn in all the work and attend any performances you might be surprised and get a A even if you aren’t that good at drawing.

As others said look at the link above to see what will count. It doesn’t have to be fine art. And what counts is that you try to learn something new.