Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

I just want to mention that any RV park has NEMA 14-50 plugs and you can charge your EV there. It’s not going to be “super” fast, but it will work.

1 Like

We owned two Prius…one used and one new. The used one WAY WAY more than paid fkr itself during the 135000 miles we owned it. It was still going strong at 230 000 miles when my DD totaled it. We have 110,000 miles on our 2015. I can drive 600 miles between gas stations. When we’re just driving it around town it gets 58 mpg.

Our next vehicle will likely be a plug in EV or a plug in hybrid. Hoping we find a full EV SUV we like. I dont understand all the angst about charging station locations. We only drive 250 miles or more in a day maybe once a month. The rest of the time we will be able to charge at home. I cant wait to never go to a gas station again. Ill take the (very little) inconvenience of taking a 20 minute break at a charging station, not to mention significantly lower maintenence costs, all the way to the bank.

4 Likes

If you’re in the market for a car, why not test drive an EV? I’m not that enamored of Tesla myself and if someone gave me money and told me I had to go buy an electric vehicle right now I’d probably pick a Kia EV6 or a Hyundai Ioniq 5, but there are so many EVs out right now. I do like the looks of that VW ID Buzz, too, even though I usually prefer smaller cars. A test drive is the best way to learn about them. No obligation to buy, but at least you’d know what all the fuss is about regarding how well they handle and how much fun they are to drive.

Getting my new tires for my 2017 Chevy Bolt next Tuesday. Been absolutely no problems in the 5 years that I have been driving that car. No oil changes, no regular maintenance. Just new wiper blades and tires every once in awhile. Love it!

2 Likes

For our EV and our hybrid, charging stations pop automatically on the built in GPS.

We just finished a VERY long college trip journey on the East Coast. Every hotel we stayed at had a charging station.

It’s really not that difficult to do a long journey with either an EV or a hybrid.

ETA: FWIW, here is a thread that I started about a year ago on a similar topic. Many of the posters here posted on this thread. I want to thank them profusely! We were a bit reluctant to go all EV, but it has been NO problem, even charging at home at 110v. Tesla Model Y

6 Likes

They’re all rechargeable batteries. However, all current rechargeable batteries are based on chemical reactions. No chemical reaction is 100% reversible (or it would violate a fundamental law in physics). All such rechargeable batteries lose capacity after each recharge.

2 Likes

Tesla initially required an annual maintenance trip to the dealership but axed that. Definitely fewer regular maintenance hassles. We changed the tires on the Tesla recently. The guys checked our brakes, too, and said that they are as good as new. Regenerative braking at work.

4 Likes

I know but my sanity requires it to be this way. My first two smartphones lasted 4-5 years. I’m good with that. So maybe I shouldn’t get an electric car. The thought of being out of town with a 20% battery has gotten my anxiety up already and I don’t even own one lol.

4 Likes

Hybrid (non-plug-in) cars are fueled only by gasoline. These days, they can be thought of as gasoline cars, but with better fuel economy. Plug-in hybrids may use either electric charging or gasoline. Usually, the plug-in hybrids are for those who have relatively short daily driving within the short electric range (recharged at home), but also use the vehicle for longer trips to places where electric charging may not be as available.

Plug-in hybrids may be able to charge up overnight even at slow 8-12A 120V (regular 15A 120V outlet, even at lower than 12A for safety if it may be shared with other stuff). Purely electric vehicles are usually more convenient to recharge at 240V; some houses may already have outlets in the garage (e.g. dryer, welder, etc.) that the charging equipment can be plugged into.

3 Likes

I just looked at the US charging maps for some of our off the beaten path, long, car trips. It would have meant a long detour to find a charging station in some places and we would not have been able to take some of the scenic routes.

I’d be open to look at a hybrid. My H isn’t sold since his top contenders don’t come in a hybrid.

1 Like

Yup.

I would trust how long Telsa warranties the battery more than what some salesperson claimed. Which is still a very decent 150,000 miles or eight years. That’s more distance and as long as most people keep their vehicles. I doubt there’s been any real world data yet on the 500,000 claim.

Got one vehicle with 140k miles and another with 120k miles. Intention is to keep both well past 150k. I know a lot of people in the same boats. Though no doubt many people keep their cars less than 150k.

2 Likes

Installing home wall chargers can be a DIY project for a handy homeowner. It’s a simple task that any licensed electrician can perform. Not much different than running any other 240v line.

4 Likes

Tesla has salesperson?

We have a 240 v line, still waiting after 10 years for my husband to put in a socket.

1 Like

may I ask what car this “recharge” was for? What does the 100k guarantee mean, i.e., it will drop to no less than say, 70%, over next 100k miles?

(not an ev expert by any means, but first time I’ve heard of such a ‘service’.)

Plenty. I would be surprised if they are commission but they seem to be as apt to say things not exactly true as any other dealership.

I thought Teslas has no dealerships. What am I missing.

They have showrooms and service centers. But no haggling/“let me call the manager” process… lol. You buy the car online.

2 Likes

We did go to a show room in Hawaii.