Wiscard or Red Card?

Let me start by saying that my daughter will be living in the Lucky Dorm.

I’m not sure I have a full understanding of these two cards. I plan on giving her a monthly allowance on the Red Card for food. Is there a reason I would need to put money on both? She has a bank account and debit card. I imagine that on occasion she may eat in one of the dining halls, but she has a full kitchen in her apartment. I am feeling overwhelmed with all of these websites and FAQs!

About the Wiscard -

Saves you money:
Babcock Hall Dairy Store and all University Housing and Wisconsin Union dining locations provide a 5% discount on most purchases. In addition, enrolled students do not pay the 5.5% sales tax on food when using Wiscard, effectively saving them over 10% total on these items. University Housing residents receive additional discounts at University Housing dining locations.

http://wiscard.wisc.edu/campus-accounts-about.html

So, it sounds like it would make sense to put money on both cards?

So, it sounds like it would make sense to put money on both cards?

Yes, sure!

My kid is a senior, and I still put some money on wiscard for him because of bookstore, the occasional snack etc on campus. Since you can load both, online, it is easy to adjust as you move forward. I will say, the first year my son lived off campus, he ate a lot in Gordon with friends, it was just so much easier than the alternatives. So he went through more money on wisc card that first year off campus. I would imagine that a freshman in Lucky will also, often grab food in Gordon’s etc with on campus friends, and so could use more on wisc card this year than in future years.

Good luck to her – UW is a fabulous place, and my kid has had amazing experiences in class and out of class.