Worried transfer student! HELP!!!

<p>So my story is I just finished my freshman year at the University of Houston and I applied to the College of Liberal Arts to major in Political Science, B.S. I applied before the march deadline but seeing as I only had 16 graded hours my application was denied (need 24+hrs to even get looked at). Now that I have sent in my final transcript and have over 24 graded hours my application can be looked at. My concerns rest in my GPA, I finished the year with a 3.357 GPA but finished the spring semester with a 3.75. My grades were low during the fall semester due to the fact my dad lost his job and I had to get a job working 40-45hrs a week. Due to this crazy work schedule I finished with a 3.06 my first semester... I explained in my essay that having to work that much and provide for my family lowered my grades and I hope that they see what my grades will really be after my spring semester once I was working less... I also play lacrosse for the university as well as have a full list of high school extracurriculars and service work on my application. My essay explained my circumstances and gave my statement of purpose and was as decent as it could be talking about both my first and second choice majors, which turned out to be a waste bc my 2nd choice major just told me they don't take 2nd choice majors... so that will hurt my essay because i wasted a fourth of it explaining why i picked my 2nd choice essay. So what are your thoughts on my odds? Any one in the same position or has already been accepted to political science, if so include gpa and extracurriculars? Ehhhhhhh im so worried i wont get in due to a bad first semester due to the circumstances and a mess up on my essay... Now I'm forced to just sit and wait.</p>

<p>Your spring semester grades will certainly help but committees typically do not like reading about why you struggled. I know you went through some circumstances and it was rough. Plus, you were a 1st semester freshmen which most have issues transitioning right away into college. </p>

<p>I think your odds are probably less than 50% that you’re accepted, but it doesn’t mean you can’t try again. I say that because your cumulative GPA is below a 3.5 and typically they want students who have that as a minimum. You’ve learned a lot through this application experience and can do better next time. </p>

<p>In the future, whether it is an application, job interview, or just reporting to your supervisor, no one wants to hear why you didn’t perform up to the expectations. In general, you can state that you had a rough transition from you semester and I’ve learned X, Y, Z from it. From these lessons, I’ve implemented the following changes to help me perform to the best of my abilities despite the circumstances. </p>

<p>Life is always going to bring you reasons why things shouldn’t go your way. It is your responsibility to set your priorities and to do what is necessary to achieve your goals. </p>

<p>I can say this because I am first generation college student who’s had to endure quite a bit. I transferred into TAMU and was denied twice before I was admitted. Each time I kept going back and asking what I needed to do to get in and I made sure that I achieved what I needed to. Also, I was originally denied to graduate school, but made it in on my second application. </p>

<p>So the bottom line, in your communication for others, don’t make excuses. Instead, tell them about the lessons you learned and how you’ve changed for the better. These sorts of statements will give them a better idea of who you are, your level of persistence, and what have learned as a college student which is the overall reason why you’re pursuing a degree.</p>

<p>Well seeing as they had an essay option completely devoted to telling them about hardships or extenuating circumstances I thought it would be acceptable to talk about those things there? I also of course wrote my statement of purpose and all that good stuff too. In the essay on hardships I described what happened, what I learned, and how I have fixed it. They said the minimum to get looked at was a 3.0 on 24 graded hours of credit so hopefully the 3.5 thing isn’t true.</p>

<p>I didn’t mean to come off as being callous or anything. It appears that particular application has a section dedicated to that, which is fine. I’m coming from the POV from having read 1000’s of essays where students come off strictly as the victim. </p>

<p>It’s great to hear that you wrote about the things you learned and how you have grown from that. Many fail to address that area or if they do at all their answers are so watered down you can barely glean anything from it. </p>

<p>Yes the minimum is a 3.0, but that is the minimum. Each college/department is different, but most prefer students with a 3.5 or higher, many of them not even looking at students below a 3.5. There are some exceptions to that and it’s because the student’s EC’s far outweigh those in the group. </p>

<p>I wish you the best of luck. If you’re denied, be sure to follow-up with the admission committee and ask them what the profile of their admitted students are? Also, ask them what courses you can take next semester to improve your odds on being admitted. Sometimes students are denied because too few of their hours will transfer into their degree plan, which disadvantageous for both parties.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advise! I didn’t take it as you being rude, just forward. Turns out the minimum is actually a 2.5 on 24 hours for political science, which I am hoping will only help my 3.36 look more competitive. I will update this as I learn more and whether or not I get in once I receive the decision so others can scale your chances based off of mine.</p>

<p>I have been accepted into the College of Liberal Arts: Political Science program for the Fall 2013 semester. I hope this will help any other transfer students who are still waiting! Thanks and Gig 'Em.</p>

<p>Good job! Thanks for sharing</p>

<p>That is great! Congratulations!!! :). So glad it worked out for you.</p>