Youngarts 2024

See threads for Youngarts previous years. Youngarts 2024 dealine is today! Keep everybody updated please!

3 Likes

My kid just applied, but after submission, the application shows two submission boxes with the pink top bar:
(1) One with title of “YoungArts 2024 National Arts Competition”. If you click “view application” at the bottom, it will direct you to a page with 4 list items:
---- 1) Let’s get to know you
---- 2) Eligibility
---- 3) Parent/Guardian Info
---- 4) Education
(2) Another with title “Writing”. If you click “view application” at the bottom, it will direct you to a page with 4 list items:
---- 1) Let’s get to know you
---- 2) Writing
---- 3) Application Fee
---- 4) Payment Information

My question is: why there are 2 different submission boxes with different items?

One is for enrollment, the other one is for submission.

Thanks pokemon0206

Wondering, are we supposed to hearing anything before Nov. 30?

1 Like

Only if you win - the top group, I guess this year it’s called “with distinction” or something - gets a phone call typically sometime before Thanksgiving.

1 Like

So they do not give any update in the middle?

no - no updates. Since most people don’t “win” the “with distinction” level and get the phone call, you’re left waiting until Nov. 30 or whenever they release the full list of all levels of winners to scan it and find if your name is on it. Last year the list came out before we got any email notification.

1 Like

Is winning Youngarts helpful to college Admission, say if the student is not going to art major?

Quick warning: I’m kinda new here and I’m not a YoungArts alumni or anything, everything I know comes from obsessive research.

From what I’ve seen it should be able to help you admissions-wise. While it might be more helpful if you were going into the arts, the level of dedication it takes to apply will stand out not to mention the prestige of the program and the high level of competition. You can even relate in back to your major in the common app when you enter it in to your application. The only thing I’d say is the benefits from YoungArts Post or any other winner resources might not help you much because they seem more geared towards success in the arts but you never know.

1 Like

However, where this gets a little dicey is when parents/kids approach YoungArts only from the standpoint of needing something for their Ivy League application. Yes, that is well and good if that is a side benefit of winning. But the main point is supposed to be encouraging young artists to believe in their work, meet equally passionate peers, and get mentored by top artists in their fields. In other words, it is about creating the next generation of artists. It would be a shame for someone to apply and win as a resume-builder alone if this is not a passion for them. I don’t mean this at all as a criticism of you, just pointing out a phenomenon that comes up every year with YoungArts.

Agree! But a lot of kids and family use this to knock the door of good colleges, which is also understandable.

2 Likes

Based on last year’s experience, they will start calling as early as next week. Keep posting good news here!

3 Likes

Does anyone know of anyone who has been contacted with a phone call from YoungArts yet? In previous years there were quite a few people on the YoungArts thread but it seems like this year it’s hard to find information.

Been getting a lot of emails from Art and design colleges all of a sudden… wonder if that means anything

I have friends at a HS that frequently wins YA awards each year. None of the students have gotten phone calls yet.

2 Likes

Maybe the reason the thread isn’t as active is because it’s not in its usual category. It’s usually under scholarship and competitions. If there is a way to change that maybe it’d help. Also to the person who got several emails from colleges- that happens every year as part of the SLS program and isn’t really a positive or negative sign. But it makes you feel better I’ve only gotten 1 :skull:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen some speculation that they aren’t doing calls this year. Because they don’t really mention calls this year and it seems that everyone may find out on the 30th. Which I don’t know if thats better or worse :sob:.

1 Like

I just checked the FAQs on the YoungArts site and found the following. So, it sounds like they do still call, but not clear in what timeframe. Looks like they also changed up what they call the different levels of awards:

How will I be notified of my status in the competition?

YoungArts award winners with distinction will be notified by phone and with a follow-up email via the contact information provided in the application. All other award winners will be notified by email via the email address provided in the application. All award winners will also be announced on the official winners list posted on our website.

2 Likes

That’s the thing. People are saying they just didn’t update the FAQ- but ehhhh who’s to say at this point. I’m not really expecting a finalist award for myself because I submitted both of my stuff last minute so… I’ll be jumping for a merit or honor s lol. If it helps anyone here. They usually start calls at 5 according to previous threads and stop around 9. So… do with that info what you will.

1 Like