Chance ME @Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, NYU

Hi!

I am new to this so I don’t know the exact format of how this info is to be presented, but here’s a little about me:

International, Female, Asian, Private School, No legacy

GPA: 95/100 (UW) (People with below this have also gotten in from my country since it is a rigorous board)

No weighted GPA, because no APs are offered by school; no rank

Applied Test-optional because couldn’t give SAT due to pandemic

Took a gap year (graduated from High School in 2020) to really find a niche area I wanted to study. In my gap year, I participated in research studies, international conferences, national competitions, online courses and did an internship - all in the area of my interest (Econ+Finance)

Awards/Honors:

• School Academic Honors (Three Awards)
  • International Language Quiz - top in country, among top in asia
  • International Scholarship (Merit) - Finalist
  • State level marketing competition - 2nd Position
  • National Finalist - Econ competition
  • National Finalist - Finance competition
  • HPAIR scholar

ECs:

1. Econ and Business Club - member, leader, also affiliated after school (4+1 years)
  2. Founder/President of Public Speaking Club (11,12)
  3. Student Mentor - social service club (11)
  4. Emceeing (9-12)
  5. Research Project - Econ (12)
  6. Research Project - Finance (12)
  7. Case Study Project - Business (12)
  8. Student Govt - Captain (11)
  9. Marketing Competitions (11,12)
  10. Family Responsibilities (4+1 years)

Essays:
CommonApp: About huge personal development - but is a very light-hearted piece of writing
Harvard supplement: About personal life and circumstances - a very serious tone
Yale supplements: My favorite! (idk how to describe them, but are kinda witty and expressive in my mind and show clear inclination towards the school)
Dartmouth essay, NYU essays: About the school but connected w personal aspects

Additional Info: Used to write specific bullet points about various activities not explained elsewhere, certifications, courses, gap year activities, reason for test optional etc

LORs: I don’t know how they might turn out but I shared a personal relation w all the teachers outside the classroom as well so I’m hoping they are good!

BTW: I made contact with 2 professors (through cold-emailing) at yale and dartmouth and heard back from them too (about my interests) and mentioned it in my essays too

I don’t know anyone who applied/got in, so would love to know where I stand, haha!

Feel free to start a conversation about anything from waiting-for-decision-anxiety to how you are doing!

Thank you, if you made it this far!
:))

1 Like

Hard to know without scores esp as you are international so your grading rubric is differentt. I’d say reach for Ivies. NYU might be a better shot. It also depends on the country. A country with fewer applicants will give you a better shot.

Thanks for the opinion! Really appreciate it. I’m from India, so lot of applicants haha!
I’m completely aware Ivies are like reaches for literally anyone lol

Yes, I hope you have many safeties on your list. That’s a far reach list for even the top 1%

yeaaa I applied to a ton of safety schools too, haha

hope you get in wherever you want too xx

I think you have a shot depending on the strength of your essays, Good Luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you!!! <3

Update on some schools (so you all can have some idea)
Saint Mary’s College - accepted with $88,000 (merit scholarship)
Beloit College - accepted with $144,000 (merit scholarship)
Hollins - accepted with $104,000 (merit scholarship)
Creighton - accepted with $92,000 (merit scholarship)
Rhodes College - waitlisted
Kenyon College - accepted
University of Toronto - accepted
UCLA - rejected

2 Likes

love how you keep a list of your results. gl in your app cycle!

gl to you too!!! :)))

Congrats on all your acceptances! You already have great options!

1 Like

congratulations! It would be helpful to, in addition to a list of the 4 yr total in merit aid, add in the effective yearly cost of attendance to your list. For instance, that 144K at Beloit still will probably leave you paying about 30K/yr overall for 4 yrs. This would help you to make a comparison between schools.

1 Like

that sounds like a great idea! i will make a list of this
i see you on a lot of threads with very useful insights, thank you!

thank you @PerformingDude, good luck w your decisions too!!!

1 Like

Update:
UC Berkeley - rejected

At this point, my hopes for the rest have shattered, panic mode on

any advice is welcome.

No need to panic. Assuming your family can afford it, you already have several options. Please tell me that you have some sort of Canadian citizenship/residency that would get you cheaper tuition at U Toronto. But as a last resort, you have Beloit with a load of merit money.

Where are you still waiting to hear from?

1 Like

No need to worry!! Each college has their own criteria that changes every year based on the class they’re trying to build. You seem perfectly qualified, so don’t be discouraged (UCB probably had around a 10% acceptance rate this year anyway)!

College admissions are super unpredictable.

1 Like

I wouldn’t sweat berk or LA much. They are quite biased against internationals and have almost half the acceptance rate of in-staters. Around 9%.

1 Like

I don’t have Canadian residency or citizenship. The tuition however, seems manageable for my family. U Toronto is where I am planning to go if the others don’t come through for now. I did, however, hear that the tuition for U Toronto in my program increases by almost a double in the second year - which is concerning and makes me doubt if the cost might go out of budget. (currently getting in touch with the school to have details)

Schools I am waiting to hear from:

NYU(Stern), Reed College, Dartmouth, Yale, Harvard

Acceptance to the T20s is a far reach for anyone, so I am not counting on them, but I really wish one could come through!

This is reassuring man, thank you.

1 Like