Status update for December 14, 2020

A lot is going on right now and we’re keeping busy! The big news since last time is we think we corrected a major issue with battery drain. Please help us test the change. Other changes:

• The CC logo now goes to the forums rather than to the College Confidential homepage. Our homepage gets quite a bit of traffic, but we think some of it is people on the forums accidentally clicking the logo in hopes of getting back to the forums. While we hope to improve our homepage soon, there’s not a lot reason go there at the moment. So if you are stuck in a thread and want to just got to the top of the forums, use the logo.

• Everyone should have their avatar transferred from the previous platform. If you picked a new avatar for this platform, we didn’t change it. But if you want your old avatar back, please let me know via a PM or reply to this thread.

• We are experimenting with allowing senior members to post images. This should help when reporting bugs, but it also opens up opportunities to use pictures when they communicate more effectively than text.

• I’ve also updated everyone so they have the trust level they were at before the platform change. I’ve also renamed Trust Level 3 from “Regular” to “Senior Member”. It just got confusing to have a bunch of different terms for the same status.

• We’re experimenting with auto-linking school names to our school pages. This should only happen once per post. To demonstrate, I’m going to mention Cornell University. If you follow that link, you can learn more about it including that the application deadline is January 2. We’re working on making those pages more informative. We also plan to highlight school-specific forums on the school page so that more people will discover those discussions. This is very much a work-in-progress so we value your feedback!

• There was a minor issue with the font used for suggested topics when you finish reading a thread. We’re also addressing a problem where the links in the header sometimes disappear, which makes the site harder to use. And we are tracking down other user interface issues. (No estimate of when they will be fixed, but we continuing to make small progress each day.)

• We continue to work on restoring data such as PMs and bookmarks. Thank you for your patience. It’s been frustratingly slow going on our end and I know it must be even more aggravating for you.

• Friday was the busiest day on the site since April we had an influx of users visiting to find out who had received early decision or early action notifications. The servers performed admirably and we did not observe the server errors that were far too common immediately after launch.

3 Likes

I would like my old avatar back.

Fixed! Thanks for letting me know.

Good work!

I appreciate the effort all of you are putting into this.

I am using the forums by 1st checking my unread threads and then checking out “Latest”. I am not having battery drain on an android using chrome. I also see zero ads, and don’t use an ad blocker.

One quick fix that could be done, at least as of yesterday would be to include Vassar in your college list, it is missing*. And for Pete’s sake – alphabetize that list!!! It makes you look unprofessional.

But that’s relatively minor and easily fixable. Good work on all the other things.

• eta to say that upon checking Vassar is in fact there. But the lack of alphabetical order is extraordinary!
1 Like

Ugh. I thought I’d fixed that but sure enough it’s out of order somehow. I’ll try to fix it again and hopefully it’ll stick.

2 Likes

Several tries later and I think I’ve solved it. For now.