100% acceptance rate : Black in America Part 2

<p>Did anyone watch that CNN special ," Black In America"
I love interesting documentaries.
I think I'll just share my thoughts on the topic to start with.This documentary definetly made me feel empowered. There were some places in which I cried. For example, a charter school was started by a black man from the projects. He was able to not only bring his students up to par ( some students were four grades behind)- but every single person in this charter school goes to college! There is a 0% dropout rate. I think everyone will agree that African Americans need someone to get them TO college more than Affirmative Action. After all, most African males ( 50-60% , if I remeber drop out of high school) If we could them to college then ( 80% of black people finish college)
Wow! I was completely touched and seeing images of the rich black people and black people recieving MBAs and becoming millionaires and being sucessful was exactly what I needed. I don't know if anyone notices it- but I think when one lives in a mojority white neighborhood- you kind of internalize some racism. I mean, I don't see a lot of positive black figures on TV ( Besides Barack Obama, of course) I always viewed being black as a hurdle to overcome on my way to sucess. NOw, I feel like its more of a skin color and not much else.
Did anyone else see the documentary? What are your thoughts? Did it change you?</p>

<p>I thought the show was overall insperational. However, the Tuxedo Ball profiled was a little questionable. Why have exclusive oarties for the uppermost echelons of blacks? It seems they were creating divisions within the black community. This was very much in in kind with DuBois’ Talented Tenth…</p>

<p>I just saw the documentary tonight. I have some comments that I would like to share with the CC community. I believe that African Americans have the power, talent, and intellect to do very extraordinary things and make a difference in our world. It is up to young teenagers to realize their potential and reinforce it by performing well in school. The two basketball players fit into a very common, but truly sad stereotype. Most blacks feel that the only way to succeed is by being a baller or a rapper. That is just plain wrong and sometimes I believe it is insane for blacks to think that way. At the same time, it is not their fault for thinking it. The media does a fine job of creating a perception of African American success, which is by being a basket ball player or a rapper. They portray young black men as violent criminals and young black women as worthless individuals. </p>

<p>I think this documentary truly inspires people like myself to analyze my surroundings and realize that I live in a country where everything is possible. Those South Africans can’t even afford a uniform, or pay 50 dollars a month for rent. I also liked the perspective about rich or semi-affluent African Americans. There are two roles that African Americans must play if they want to succeed. They have to appeal to their black counterparts and they also have to put on a proper intelligent image that eliminates the perceptions that whites have of them. However the exclusivity of the Ballroom section of the documentary does bring to light divisions in the black community. It is sad, but true. I have more comments, but its I am and I’m very tried… to be continued…</p>

<p>I also though that the Black in America segment was a lot better than the last one. However, once again Soledad, whose parents are bothe immigrants, failed to recognize that black immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean have contributed to this society in many aspects. I was not very suprised though to see my story of coming to the US looking for oppurtunity misssing. The fact that mainstream “Black” America fails to acknowledge Black immigrants just reemphasizes my feeling of invisibility in the States. Alot of my friends who are black expatriates feel the same way. I really do not know why the media choses to ignore our high high school, college, aand gaduation rates, which is higher than any other population. I really do not think that I am fully part of American society, not because of low media potrayl, but due to my odd, mixed heritage. Again other black immigrants that I have spoken to feel the same way. This is part of the reason Africans living in the US tend to keep within their ethnic group, country, or region because the mainstream media ignore us.</p>

<p>Also the SA trip project sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I and ever other person in the Western world knows that most people live in poverty in Africa. But there is a growing middle class in politically stable nations, like Botswana and Ghana. It was almost likee the program highlighted the issue of poverty in Africa, just as the Western media does. And the fact that the kids there went to help the “poor, helpless people” of South Africa and learned to appreciate all that they had back home. This sounds SO very familiar…but I did not expect it from the “black media” Funny how this was the first adn only time they mentioned Africa in the entre segment…</p>

<p>Okay sorry for the double post! :)</p>

<p>koolmaria i completely agree!</p>

<p>^I have to disagree with koolmaria about the trip to Africa. It highlighted what most Africans go through. As much as there is a growing middle class in some countries in Africa, most people aren’t there yet. I have to agree though that Western Media almost always only highlights poverty in Africa. </p>

<p>I thought that this segment of Black In America was great, instead of giving us only problems it gave us solutions and for me, it empowered me to work even harder. The school with the 100% acceptance rate should be a model that other schools strive for.</p>

<p>^ I would have to agree here. Most African people are living in poverty. Nigeria for example could be one of the richest countries in Africa, but with corruption and greed the people pay a great price. I’m from Ghana and it feels good to know that my country is getting better in many economical, political and social aspects. Even with close elections, Ghana evaded any irrational attempts of a civil war. </p>

<p>I believe that Soledad highlighted many issues prevalent in the Black American society. She didn’t include much if not anything about how Africans play a role in American society. I would have loved to see some explantions and interviews on how Africans view Black Americans though. Overall it was a good documentary.</p>

<p>Although I’d definitely like to see it, I think the dynamics pertaining to the relationship and experiences between African-Americans and African immigrants is a completely seperate topic from the focus of the program. As implied by some here on CC, Africans in America are not an 'at risk" population. Many Africans in Africa may meet that definition I suppose, but again, that’s a different story altogether. Thus, I really wouldn’t read too much into the fact they did not profile Africa’s economic diversity or immigrant population in the US. </p>

<p>I do agree that, in general, the media largely ignores Africans in the US, including their accomplishments and contributions. I also agree that when such topics are covered it’s usually something completely one dimensional in scope. However, such is not limited to just Africans. I think our media has a very narrow scope of interests in general when it comes to cultural topics and world events.</p>

<p>Entertainer, Nigeria still the divisions between rich and poor. Its not as bad as South Africa or some of those poorers countries Agreed, most Nigerians realize that our government has faults but we are working it out. Just saying…</p>

<p>Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. It would take another two hours to talk about the diversity of black immigrants…however a side mention would have been kind of nice…
The show did seem to focus on problems plaguing Black Americans. But there is, at least in my campus, is a bit of underlying tension between the native and immigrant populations. The general logic is that if the South side of Chicago is like 97% black American, then why do immigrants or foreign students from Africa and the Caribbean make up a huge majority of black students? Perhaps this is not a national issue though…</p>

<p>I liked most of the profiles and though that it was a well done doc, but could not really relate to any of them…</p>

<p>People with recent African ancestry in America (African immigrants and they’re children basically) are a very small group in America. Doing a quick check on Wikipedia, there are slightly over 1 million of them. In comparison, there are over 35 million non-Hispanic blacks of what is often termed “traditional ancestry.” They’re definitely a noticeable group, and most of the other black kids I hang out with are from Ethiopia and Nigeria (I do have a total bias towards 1st and 2nd gen immigrants when picking friends though). I haven’t seen Black in America, and I do think it should have taken at least a moment to comment on 1st and 2nd gen African immigrant success in America, since they make up a very significant part of successful blacks (eg: our President), but considering what part they make up of all blacks in America, I’m not surprised.</p>

<p>As for Americans thinking that everyone in Africa is poor and starving and AIDs-infected, out-group homogeneity bias suuuucks.</p>

<p>I totally agree with Koolmaria. This show made me roll my eyes once I saw that they were just ignoring us, once again.</p>

<p>Perhaps you guys should write Soledad so that when she does a Black in America 3, she can focus more on the recent African population in America. Most likely she will also address the divide that is found between the children of African immigrants and more “traditional” Blacks. </p>

<p>With that being said, my family watched both Black in America and Black in America 2 and we thought that it provided some views of African-Americans that you hardly ever see. While it may not be perfect, I think that it is documentaries like these that help us begin to see more positive images of ourselves. Just out of curiosity, did anyone watch the documentary Waiting for Superman? I just saw it and it was really good.</p>

<p>I don’t know if this is the same thing but I saw something like this in the Seattle newspaper. Definitely cool stuff that you can get a 100% acceptance rate anywhere.</p>

<p>Have you guys heard about Urban Prep ? 100% College Placement!</p>

<p>[Urban</a> Prep - 100 Percent To College](<a href=“http://www.urbanprep.org/100percent/2011/]Urban”>http://www.urbanprep.org/100percent/2011/)</p>

<p>I heard about that a few months ago ^^^</p>

<p>I also heard that they kicked out kids who didn’t meet a certain (high) threshold, to ensure that every student would have success in college admissions. </p>

<p>Either way, it’s not about us getting IN to college. It’s about us graduating and becoming successful, which, I know all of us are on our ways.</p>

<p>“It seems they were creating divisions within the black community. This was very much in in kind with DuBois’ Talented Tenth…”</p>

<p>@ivy 2010 I kind of agree with you here, but honestly I think the black community could use some divisions. You often see, especially in major cities, blacks of middle and upper middle class class living among blacks of the lower class or scattered around in predominantly white middle and upper class areas. Blacks often move or stay in a predominantly white area to “get away”…lol… Though Blacks from the middle and upper class often return to black and lower class areas “to give back” or expose their kids to “the black experience”. A lot of blacks kids from middle and upper class homes end up getting mixed up with the wrong sorts of elements in these sorts of areas. Not to say that all lower income areas will badly influence teens , but that oftentimes is the case for a number of reasons. I think I’ve read studies on this explaining that many children of upper and middle class are today making less than the generation before them, and when in hs test lower than whites of the same or lower class. </p>

<p>I think that having separate communities would show all young blacks some differentiation and give more to aspire to. Seeing educated blacks in lower class communities or isolated from the black community completely does not show the majority of black children(lower and lower-middle class) the effects of a good education. Knowing and seeing solidly middle or upper class black areas, could have an affect on many kids. And also, upper, middle and lower class blacks are united by their ethnicity–which the world will never let them forget–but at the end of the day they have different interests…</p>

<p>Other groups usually practice the same pattern…When whites or immigrants begin to earn more money they move to different areas or form different communities–with people making the same amount of money AND with people of the same ethnicity. When blacks do become upwardly mobile we do one or the other. We have different circumstances as a people so I do not expect that we will be there yet, but quite honestly I would hope that we do get to a point where we can have some division or better worded, differentiation in our community.</p>