2 questions about Purdue

<p>Hi, I'm a senior who has been accepted by Purdue and I have 2 qustions about the university. I was looking in the "most liberal/conservative" thread in the college search forum and on the Princeton Review's list of "Alternative lifestyles not an alternative," Purdue is ranked #20. How accepting is Purdue of students with non-traditional lifestyles? I'm pretty ordinary other than being a vegetarian but I'd like to know how tolerant the atmosphere is of students that don't conform to the "white Protestant" standard? I know that a lot of people of Asian descent go there; how about other minorities? What are the average campus feelings on abortion, gay rights, the war, global warming/ecology, etc?</p>

<p>My second question is a bit simpler: Does Purdue require a mid-year report? I looked on the web site but didn't find any information about it.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for answers. Here is a link to the Princeton Review list:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/rankings/rankingDetails.asp?categoryID=2&topicID=25%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/rankings/rankingDetails.asp?categoryID=2&topicID=25&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I've been concerned with tolerance in my college search, but I can't give you a definite answer since I don't go to Purdue myself.</p>

<p>From what I've found from Purdue is that it generally is more accepting then some of the other Indiana colleges that I have researched.</p>

<p>Here are some websites at least dealing with LGBT at Purdue:
<a href="http://web.ics.purdue.edu/%7Etriangle/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~triangle/&lt;/a>
Different logos bring you to different organizations.</p>

<p>I have kind of gotten the feeling that Indiana is a red state and the students at Indiana colleges tend to reflect that to some degree. This is however a generalization I've come to from the colleges I looked at and I'm sure isn't the case for every college, but just a generalization from what I've seen in looking around online.</p>

<p>Since Purdue is a large school, I'm sure students looking for tolerance will at least find a niche within the student body. I will say that I'm a bit skeptical of the list at Princeton Review because I have seen colleges that are worse then what I've seen at Purdue. Another college in Indiana I was accepted to stated that many of their homosexual students end up transferring out due to intolerance on their own website, yet its not even listed on Princeton Review's list. The school even had a quote from a student stating that the student body of the school not listed at Princeton Review was very unaccepting, yet Princeton Review still doesn't have it there.</p>

<p>Hopefully someone at the school can give you a better idea, but hopefully this is better then nothing.</p>

<p>I'll take a whack at this :)</p>

<p>Easiest question first: No, to my knowledge, Purdue does not require a mid-year report. </p>

<p>As for tolerance: the easiest way for me to describe it is with an example. The LGBT group, vegetarians, Ron Paul supporters, democrats, republicans, some-extremely-liberal-group-whose-name-I-forget, and ethnic minority groups (and every other group on campus!) practice "flyering". Basically, they tape paper flyers to the sidewalks all over campus to spread the word about callouts, meetings, and forums/presentations that they put together. There are also flyers on bulletin boards and chalkboard messages. Not once have I seen one of them deliberately defaced by anything other than the weather and people walking on them. Indiana is indeed a red-state (we'll see how far that goes this November), and there are lots of conservatives, but that doesn't mean people here aren't pro-choice. Some loony guy was preaching on campus last semester, and students did gather to take in the spectacle, but I didn't hear any abuse as I walked by on the way to class. There are plenty of niches here for people. The typical mentality of most people is not to force their views on others, but they will vehemently defend them (sometimes incorrectly :D) if challenged or outright attacked. Like your parents always told you, don't bother the wild animals and they mostly won't bother you :p</p>

<p>:p. Sounds excellent to me. I did notice the flyers when I had a summer camp on campus but I wasn't really paying attention to them at the time. That sounds like a pretty good atmosphere to me. I particularly like the "do not disturb and do not be disturbed" mentality. I HATE explaining my vegetarianism to meat eaters who only ask to ridicule me. I get enough of that from my parents :). Thank you very much for the info. That makes me feel a lot better about Purdue.</p>

<p>I'm a vegetarian. And you will like it at Windsor even though not all that is vegetarian here is good.</p>

<p>haha yeah. I lived in Windsor last year....watch out for the African black-eyed something or other...it kind of tastes like laundry water after a while....and, no, I have no idea where that association came from :D</p>

<p>I used to recruit from Purdue for my company (when I lived in Baltimore)--and we ended up with all types of people from our recruiting efforts--straight-laced engineers, gay/lesbian lifestyles, vegetarians, internationals with unusual customs, etc.</p>

<p>Generally our biggest problem was losing top students to other top recruiters such as big accounting or engineering firms. Questioning someone's lifestyle was never an issue that ever arose.</p>

<p>Excellent :). That's really reassuring. I'm glad i'll be able to experience some diversity if I choose to go to Purdue, which seems pretty likely.</p>

<p>I had a question about Purdue, although it's a bit off topic: I just got accepted for under-grad, but I'm an international and they don't offer financial aid for people like me. I'm required to show them that I can pay $36000 for the first year and I can. But it's gonna be a stretch for my parent to follow up on that for the 2nd 3rd and 4th years. So, is there some kind of way out for internationals at Purdue (like scholarships from private organizations, or university merit awards) or should I face the fact that every year is gonna cost me a whopping $36000 and more?</p>

<p>Are there any Purdue international students in CC who can give me an idea of how much it cost them to study at Purdue?</p>

<p>Anik for scholarships there are plenty offered but the problem will be you will be competing with many people to obtain them. If you start looking now and work hard you can get scholarships though.</p>

<p>I was actually talked to one of my friends that is an international student and he told me Purdue is very unfriendly to internationals in terms of finances. I remember him mentioning it being tough to get jobs and all. Getting scholarships is also sometimes hard because some of them require people being US Citizens, and I believe a study visa doesn’t qualify. You should give the Internantional students office a call and ask if there are any ways to finance an education. In terms of living expense, I would recommend you being part of experiments where they pay you a good amount for your time.</p>