2012 National Achievement Semi-Finalist

<p>Did anyone qualify in Texas with a score below 200? Did the cutoff for natl achievement increase this year? In the past it was around 194</p>

<p>i got a 198 and i didnt qualify and im from arizona. but texas is in the group for the cutoff with az. im still ****ed. how is a 198 not good enough? people from florida got 195 and made it but i dont? not fair at all.</p>

<p>Its crazy. The regions are based on population of African Americans and the region for Texas and Arizona is very competitive</p>

<p>Nobody in my school has been notified yet…</p>

<p>What state do you live in?</p>

<p>i find this whole “region based cutoff” to be unfair. why is it that someone who gets a 196 in another region gets in but i dont? the population of african americans in arizona is much smaller than in states like florida…</p>

<p>the same reason they have state cutoff for different states for the NMSF I think</p>

<p>I feel like if the cutoff is 200 this year that doesn’t bode well for college admissions. The black applicant pool seems like it is quite a bit stronger this year.</p>

<p>Anyone from Oklahoma know?</p>

<p>everyone should have been notified by now. I think the information need to make finalist is due this month</p>

<p>egesil. Did you call the NMF directly to ask about your NA. I have heard in the past that some schools have had the notifications and it got buried. </p>

<p>Also, I dont think making Natl Achievement is dependent on the population of the AA community in a particular state, but instead it seems to be from the State’s National Merit cutoff. </p>

<p>I may have seen somewhere that it can be between 10-20 points below NMF. YMMV.</p>

<p>I encourage you to call just to be certain your school did not drop the ball. There is a Natl Merit Thread around, please double check for you State’s cutoff. Good Luck</p>

<p>194 in cali. outstanding participant and nothing more.</p>

<p>bostonmom2, I’m in MA.</p>

<p>grammargirl94 and jacobo2880 qualified in your region according to their posts. If your scores are similar to theirs, I would contact National Merit office.</p>

<p>I just realized that I forgot to send in my SAT scores. I just sent them, hoping that they will be accepted. Is it too late?</p>

<p>^You’re perfectly fine. They even accept scores from the December administration, so it shouldn’t be a problem as long as the other parts of your app were submitted on time.</p>

<p>I’ve been receiving college letters telling me I was a National Achievement Semifinalist even though I received a certificate from school saying I was just an Outstanding Participant. Is this mix up common?</p>

<p>I’m really surprised. I only got a 179 and my counselor gave me a certificate saying that I was an Outstanding Participant, but most of y’all are 190+.</p>

<p>I’m a semifinalist in minnesota.</p>

<p>i was a finalist last year and i live in maryland and got a 193 but i
just wanted to let you all know that you can get a full tuition scholarship at fordham university in new york, if you have good gpas, essays, etc, just for being national achievment semi-finalists. just thought that might be helpful to some people!</p>