2013 Singer/Stamps Weekend Decisions

<p>To all invited to the 3 weekends for Singer/Stamps selection I thought I'd start a thread to follow as the drama unfolds. My best wishes to all and hope to hear lots of good news in the coming weeks. A personal thanks to Marinebio444, SeekingUni, ZincWhiskers and especially Illinoismom93 for all of their 'CC' wisdom and Cane enthusiasm.</p>

<p>Excited to hear the news from our future 'Canes! :D</p>

<p>I know that it was said we would not hear back for two weeks, but based on last year, the Stamps notifications came nine days following the Stamps/Singer weekend. Do you think we might hear tomorrow?</p>

<p>Some time this week I would imagine, based on posts and prior years. Good luck to all and remember to post brief Stats too.</p>

<p>Good luck this week to you future Singer and Stamps scholars. Remember, even if you are not lucky enough to garner one of these awards (and 75% of you won’t), there are other ways the U can entice you (Miami Grant) - so don’t despair!</p>

<p>@Zinc - Excellent point! As far as I can tell fin aid awards haven’t been posted yet this year unlike the last cycle when, for a change, they went out a week or two BEFORE Stamps weekend. </p>

<p>@Debra19- For the past two years decisions were sent via email on the Monday nine days after the weekend which is today. They started coming out around 420 pm eastern. Timing for invites was later this year though so who knows?
In any case, good luck everyone!!</p>

<p>@Biocellar - you are most welcome!</p>

<p>illinoismom93: I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Thanks.</p>

<p>ZincWhiskers: What is a Miami grant?</p>

<p>If I read it correctly, it looks like Miami grants will no longer be available starting this fall. Has anybody gotten an e-mail of any kind? It’s awful quiet around here.</p>

<p>No word yet.</p>

<p><<if i="" read="" it="" correctly,="" looks="" like="" miami="" grants="" will="" no="" longer="" be="" available="" starting="" this="" fall.="" has="" anybody="" gotten="" an="" e-mail="" of="" any="" kind?="">></if></p>

<p>Interesting to read that. I hadn’t seen that before - a few months ago when we began looking at funding options the Miami Grant was still listed as a possibiiity. I just went and checked and you’re right, it clearly states it’s no longer available. Does that leave any other merit-based grants left? I certainly wouldn’t be able to send my S there just on need-based alone. Has anyone heard if they are replacing it with something else?</p>

<p>Well you could knock me over with a feather!! I just checked the website and sure enough the Miami Grant is no longer available as of fall 2013 for incoming freshmen. That’s disappointing as it seemed to be a great financial aid tool for augmenting merit-based awards.
I guess I have to recant any advice I gave to anyone about the Miami Grant. :/</p>

<p>It will be interesting to see if it’s replaced with somethng else. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have any merit grants anymore. That could make a big difference in many attending!!</p>

<p>Sounds like the decisions are coming out for the March 1-2 weekend. Please post them here along with brief stats as it helps everyone calibrate and will help future classes too.</p>

<p>Best of luck everyone!</p>

<p>DS received the Singer Scholarship plus Foote Fellow. No invite for Stamps though.</p>

<p>35 ACT, 4.33 weighted/3.98 unweighted, school does not rank (magnet school for science and technology), multiple AP’s and usual EC’s.</p>

<p>MTnest, Great for your son and your family ! Congrats. Is UMiami his #1 choice now?</p>

<p>D received Gables ($4k/year) and Foote Fellow.</p>

<p>ACT 34 / Rank 1 of 625 / GPA 4.0 (UW)
Very involved - lots of ECs/volunteering</p>

<p>She was hopeful before we went down for the S/S Weekend - but after meeting so many extremely qualified students - realized the chances were slim and was just very honored to be there! Now we have a tough decision to make…</p>

<p>Like MTnest, received the Singer Scholarship plus Foote Fellow, with no mention of Stamps either.</p>

<p>2350 SAT (750cr.read/800math), didn’t take the ACT. 3rd in a class of about 450 at a regular public high school. Multiple AP’s and co-founder of a club in the field in which I am interested. </p>

<p>I think what made the difference was that I showed that I really love what I do and had ideas for combining the school’s course offerings in new ways. For future candidates–read up on the school’s specific programs beforehand, keep in touch with your regional admissions officers (they really care about your goals!), and ask plenty of questions in your line of academic focus. I don’t know the overall trend here, but my interview was very long, mostly because of all my questions.</p>

<p>Also, UMiami is now my official top choice :)</p>

<p>Wwrpgobmeobeotnritypwrmypo I WAS INVITED TO INTERVIEW FOR STAMPS! When I read the email, I couldn’t even form coherent sentences. My mom was just like “are you okay?!?” hahahaha. Anywho, here are my stats for those interested:</p>

<p>ACT- 35 (34 R, 34 E, 35 S, 36 M)
SAT- didn’t send but 2200
Class Rank- 1/150 International Baccalaureate Seniors
GPA- 3.99 unweighted (awkward 0.01 hahaha)
APs- Human Geo, Calc AB, English Lang and Comp (all 5s)
SAT IIs- Math 2 (770), Chem (650… shh. I know it’s not exactly fantastic haha.)
ECs- Lieutenant Governor of FL Youth in Government (YMCA civics program), SGA Secretary, awards for Piano and Clarinet, 4 years in All-County Honor Band, various math team awards (only from district competitions), awards for writing competitions, NHS member, MAO member, Rho Kappa member, 4-year Varsity tennis player (Co-Captain in Jr. year), mid-range ranking in USTA Florida Girls 16, raised $2400 for NAMI, summer volunteer in Children’s Hospital, volunteer pianist for an art center, volunteer clarinetist for Edison Winter Estates, and volunteer at the local Children’s science museum.</p>

<p>Any other Stamps invitees? I’d love to talk to you guys! :)</p>

<p>Son received Singer Scholarship plus Foote Fellow.</p>

<p>36 ACT (single sitting), top 1% (school does not rank), AP laden course load, 11 (soon to be 12) varsity athletic letters in three sports from a school of @3200 students, principal oboist for past three years in the Northwest Indiana Youth Symphony, President NHS, Representative to 2013 Business Professionals of America State Leadership Conference, Adult Learning Center mentor/tutor.</p>

<p>I couldn’t be more proud of him, and he is excited at the prospect of Miami in the fall!</p>

<p>Sonofasailor, Fantastic news for you and your son! My son might see your’s at UM too.</p>