2014 African Americans!

<p>@Millancad</p>

<p>MY mother is not BFF with the adcoms. In fact she is a poor refugee who can’t even say Hello in English.</p>

<p>I know this is not a good idea but only if you are a high school student.
As I mentioned above, I am a transfer. If I don’t get accepted I will stay in my current university.</p>

<p>@Mouse121992
Congratulations man!
There is nothing wrong with applying 14 schools. This just shows how strong you are!
Good luck with the ivy.</p>

<p>ummm, is anyone getting more nervous as we get closer to the end of march? i keep thinking of every possible scenario in my head lol i don’t know how i’m gonna make it through these next four weeks :/</p>

<p>oh yeah and this is probably a really dumb question but are the colleges mailing the decision letters on march 31st/april 1st? or will the letters actually be in our mailbox on those specific days? im confused lol…</p>

<p>Brown sent me an e-mail the other day saying they won’t mail letters. Who knows why. And when they say they mail them april 1st, it means you’re likely to know probably the first week in april. You could get it april 1st, or the 2nd, etc.</p>

<p>Oh, wow. I got a “likely” letter from Columbia. I am beyond in shock. This is basically my top choice university. </p>

<p>Did anyone else recieve likely’s from Columbia? I didn’t even know they sent them out!</p>

<p>:DDDDDDDDD</p>

<p>@Inconclusive- Lol no when I heard head stretching, I pictured a head stretching, not actual work. If you apply to top schools, you should already know it’s gonna be a bit challenging.</p>

<p>@BeautifulNerd219
Yeah, it will be.</p>

<p>Are you really beautiful :slight_smile: smart and beautiful girls are hard to find! :)</p>

<p>@glitterz<em>iz</em>gold: Yeah, Columbia sent out, imo, a lot of likely letters. I got one, and don’t consider myself one of those demigods that get likelies on, say, the Harvard thread. </p>

<p>But congratulations. :)</p>

<p>To Ksarmand & glitterz<em>iz</em>gold: SOOO LUCKY!</p>

<p>^Not lucky, but blessed. ;)</p>

<p>@kczprincess: The interviewer was just… weird. She asked me for about half of the information that goes on my transcript and wrote it all down, while I sat there thinking “I already sent all of this stuff to Georgetown…” For the rest of the interview, she concentrated on my family. Where did my parents go to college, what are/were their jobs, what were my siblings doing. Internally, I was all “Isn’t Georgetown making a decision about me, not my family?” When I asked her about her experience at Georgetown, she said she didn’t take advantage of any of the opportunities offered by its great location and mostly just studied. It was also incredibly awkward and only lasted for 30 minutes or so.</p>

<p>Interviews don’t matter that much though, and it worked out fine.</p>

<p>Well Millancad my Georgetown interview went pretty well.</p>

<p>Firstly, it was at Starbucks so it was a bit informal. Secondly, she was a transfer student who transfer from U of V in her sophomore year. But what I really like about it was that it revolved around my resume, since I hand it to her when we began, and her experience. But more importantly I asked her questions about OTHER colleges. She admired that I was upfront and was considering other colleges. She said she did not and would not count my inquisitive nature against me. But what I really like about it was her level of honest. She really provided me with some insight into the Georgetown community!</p>

<p>Lol @Inconclusive-I’m not a cocky person at all. I can’t stand arrogance. But I think I’m beautiful in mind and in spirit. Physically too lol. </p>

<p>OMG I’m so excited you guys. I got a stupid letter from Cornell (I thought it was gonna say something about something was missing), but instead it said they read my app. I was thinking “um okay w/e that’s cool” but then I realized it was an acceptance letter! I’m probably the world’s slowest person. I read the letter like 6 times to actually comprehend that I did get accepted. God is tres tres amazing.</p>

<p>what do you mean a likely letter? does it say that you might be accpeted or something? sorry I have no idea what that is.</p>

<p>yeah my interviews were decent but my brown interview was the best. the lady had such enthusiasm about the school that u couldn’t help but absorb it in. even if if had a negative view of brown (which i didn’t) before the interview she could of easily changed my mind.</p>

<p>@beutifulnerd
lol! haha congratulations! at least u read it and didn’t throw it out! u got urs already. I’m guuessing ur in the ILR or hotel program. I think u mentioned it before but I forgot.</p>

<p>Can you all believe we find out where we are going to college at the end of the month?!?!?! everything has happened so fast! I feel like I just turned in my app!!</p>

<p>@MorganSimone: Ahh! I’m a writer too! What’s your top college?! I LOVE to write… so it was fun for mee writing the college essays because I tried to be really creative to make up for the problems in my app lol. I’m also working on a book!</p>

<p>I never check my mail lol but congrats to everyone who got a likely letter! I am really nervous that a college is going to tell me that they haven’t received all of my info! I sent in my Yale teacher rec and my counselor faxed it a week ago but it still says that they haven’t received it! This makes me nervous! Yale is one of my top choices and the interview went great! I would hate to here that my app was thrown out because it was incomplete. This sadly happened to my brother on more than one school because his ****ty counselor effed up his letters and stuff.</p>

<p>Now I wanna go check my mail in the hopes that I magically got a likely letter from stanford or something lol. I’m in denial… and I’m staying in denial until April 1.</p>

<p>Well, the good part about this whole situation is that I’m going to Jamaica April 4 for spring break. So if i do get into my top school Jamaica will be that much better, and if I dont…it’s really hard to be depressed when you’re in jamaica. So the way I see it…it’s a win/win.</p>

<p>***hear</p>

<p>I make that mistake all the time! (and I call myself a writer…tsk tsk) but I’m not ■■■■■■■■! lol</p>

<p>@BlackRose- I applied to CALS. Lol kinda funny b/c I want to study communications which has nothing to do with frickin biology and science. I don’t like science. AT ALL.</p>

<p>I don’t think I’m gonna get any likely letters. Oh well…</p>

<p>wait I’m I missing something. when u guys say likely letters do you mean acceptance letter. or is that just how you guys are wording it. like “i won’t likely get a letter”</p>

<p>I’m biracial (Cuban & Black), but here in the US it only matters what race you identify with physically – so usually I describe myself as African-American. So do most people. I think this discussion is progressive and necessary. The mere fact that people can debate a topic like AA without getting ignorant or nasty is an achievement in my book. I just would like to comment on one thing.</p>

<p>One post referred to being called an “Oreo” for being successful. I am sorry you’ve had that experience but I don’t think other black people are that simple. It is a bit demeaning to think black people only associate success with the white race. We have our issues – but that’s overgeneralizing. </p>

<p>I think people are likely to get hostile when you don’t acknowledge your race and love it. That’s the real problem if you ask me. Students who become successful feel that they must conform cultural to the hegemonic group to succeed. Then in turn, we don’t get the opportunity to see well to do black men and women that are proud of their heritage and don’t apologize for it. </p>

<p>We are not monolithic. No black person has to conform to any standard because we are all individuals – but one successful black man that is proud of his rich heritage goes a long way for the community as a whole.</p>