2014 African Americans!

<p>@BlackRose21</p>

<p>So far I got accepted into UCF, USF, and UF. Now I am just waiting for everybody else to see my final choice.</p>

<p>I got “likely” in wellesley’s early evaluation. That’s basically a guaranteed acceptance! Wooh, I’m so excited!!!</p>

<p>I also sent in an application but it didn’t have any music from my orchestra due to me feeling the same way as you guys. I didn’t think it would be that good to put on a supplement. But I did send in a PDF portfolio that I have been working on in school that displays different graphic design works, animation, and drawings that I am working on since I want to do engineering with a concentration in computer animation. </p>

<p>I just finished with princeton interview. It was pretty good. But it made me think from everybodys different experiences from their interviews and what was said on this forum. For those who had interviews did it increase your interest in the school, decrease it due to their attitude, or indifferent?</p>

<p>@SmartDeliah
yeah I got accepted to USF, and UF. Still waiting from other Florida colleges.</p>

<p>@Morgan Simone: you sent in a creative writing supplement? Very cool! You are a writer?</p>

<p>@jj43912: Yes, I am and thanks:-)! I LOVE to write. I wrote a whole cover letter to Harvard stating how writing was my passion and how thankful I was for the opportunity of sharing my imagination with them and whatnot. For Harvard and the other schools, I sent four pages of an unfinished novel and a poem that was derived from “Mr Tambourine Man” by Bob Dylan. From writing, I found my purpose in life ^_^.</p>

<p>@BlackRose21: All my interviews increased interest. Considering I only had 4, i took some more time to do more digging and found out about great programs I had no clue existed before. Especially since all the schools I interviewed for were top 20, and what I really liked about how honest the alumni were about their college’s characteristics. They sold their alma maters extremely well. They definitely got the right people for the job.</p>

<p>@glitterz
Congrats on your likely letter. GOSH they’re like frickin golden tickets. And I wanna go to the “factory”</p>

<p>ANd yes MJ is the best. Hands down. Almost broke up with a guy for not liking MJ. Lol.</p>

<p>@mouse I do agree. I liked some things about some of my top schools, but once I had the interview, I was actually excited and more interested in attending. SO I’m really happy they picked some great people for the alumni interviews.</p>

<p>All of my interviews, except one, increased my interest too. I just had one really bad interview with Georgetown. My MIT interviewer did scare me a little; he said MIT was a “head-stretching” school, which sounds rather painful, but his honesty about his experiences was really refreshing.</p>

<p>@Millancad
Head-stretching doesn’t sound good. Now I have a bad image in my head. What’s your fav. school?</p>

<p>^ you get accepted= you can do the work + extra</p>

<p>Great to know you guys applied to MIT. I did applied to MIT too but I know I will get rejected.
Good luck to you all.</p>

<p>I’m going to be in Spain during the reception of most of my admissions decisions. So either i’ll be trying to throw myself off a building or jumping with joy. I’ve gotten into CU-Boulder, Pitt and PSU all my safeties. I’m waiting to hear from UC Berk, UCSB, USC, and Tulane as my reach/match schools. Hoping to get accepted to UCSB or USC. <em>Fingers crossed</em></p>

<p>@Inconclusive: I think it’s good to think you’ll get rejected. I applied to MIT 100% sure I would be rejected, with a small hope for deferral and RD rejection. Thus, I was more excited when I got in, able to be more sympathetic to my deferred/rejected friends, and would have been less sad had I been rejected/deferred.</p>

<p>@Nerd: I don’t really have a fave school. I like Cambridge, Yale, MIT, and UChicago a lot.
If I don’t get rejected on March 31 or April 1 or whenever decisions come out, I’m visiting Harvard (again) when I visit MIT (again) for CPW. The first time, I just had an info session, not even a tour. I might also talk to some of my sister’s friends there. Maybe that’ll put it in the fave pile. CPW is known for making people MIT crazy, so that could change things.
I’ll also visit Yale (for Bulldog Days, I guess) if I don’t get rejected. It’ll be for the first time, which is crazy, considering that it’s been on my faves list forever and considering that I somehow could get all the way to England for a visit but not all the way to New Haven. I guess that could, somehow, horribly, push it off the faves list or make it be my one and only fave.
Unfortunately, I don’t have time/money to revisit Cambridge, even though my college does have an overnight stay program. And I can’t reasonably get to Chicago again until late May, for a contest. I’d like to go up there anyway, since my sister lives there.</p>

<p>@Millancad
Congratulations

You can go to Cambridge as a graduate student.
Both Yale and MIT are great.
MIT is the only University I applied to!</p>

<p>@cherrnoble: Haha, I’m going to be on the way to the airport early morning April 1st, so hopefully most of my acceptances/rejections will be sent on the 31st!</p>

<p>@millancad: I know, Yale is really cool but I haven’t visited it either. From what pictures I’ve seen, the campus looks absolutely stunning.</p>

<p>@inconclusive: Wow, that’s brave. I don’t know how I could have chosen only one school.</p>

<p>So this has probably been discussed and debated before, but I just wanted to double-check: Is it really accurate to say that AA’s with SAT 2100+ are way more likely to get into HYP than Caucasians/Asians with 2250+? I read that somewhere, but I was pretty sure it was a bit inflated…</p>

<p>Oh, and thanks BeautifulNerd! It is a great school, and I wouldn’t mind going to it at all!</p>

<p>@glitterz<em>iz</em>gold
I am doing this because I am not Brave but I am applying as a transfer from my state university.</p>

<p>

To be honesty, I don’t know the answer. I would say this is true as long as one of them is disadvantaged. It turns out that most of URM students are disadvantaged.</p>

<p>^You only applied to a school with an acceptance rate under 10%? That doesn’t seem like the best idea. But maybe your mother is BFF with all the adcoms or something.</p>

<p>@glitterz: Check out the study by Epenshade. It’s old, but it states that the black Affirmative Action (AA) bonus comes to about 200 points (old SAT) if I remember correctly. It’s generally accepted that the AA bump/boost has gone down for every race since the study was done, and, of course, the SAT has changed, but it’s the only study I’ve heard of where you can get hard numbers like that.</p>

<p>@ Millancad, what do you mean by “bad” Georgetown interview? Like was the interviewer rude, or were the questions hard?</p>

<p>I had a bad experience too, and I’m just trying to see if we’re talking about the same thing :)</p>

<p>I feel so left out. I applied to 14 schools. But it was my dad’s fault, not mine. 7 acceptances so far and no rejections. However, I have a feeling that’ll change when my ivy league letters come back.</p>