2014 African Americans!

<p>^Haha, I was trying to convince myself that I would be okay with it when I really wasn’t. But that’s all behind me now. Harvard 2014, baby. Making Moves.</p>

<p>And congratulations on Cornell! You’ll have 4 amazing years there, I’m sure.</p>

<p>I think I’ll either be Cornell 2014, Northwestern 2014, or Notre Dame 2014. Any ideas? And I got into the School of Applied Economis and Management at Cornell. Finance in the Business School at ND, and Weinberg at Northwestern.</p>

<p>You guys I am not happy at all. Although I know that Cornell is a great school but I cant seem to convince myself that I will be happy there. </p>

<p>@bellanaija Im got accepted into CAS and my major is chemistry.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s how I spell laptop too! As long as no one’s looking. I like it so much better <3.</p>

<p>Lol @ksarmand my friend and I, to some people, look alike (we look nothing alike) just black and slim and light w/black glasses, so that means we “look alike” </p>

<p>We call each other Twin.
Ex: Hey Twin, wanna be my roomie at Princeton?
Twin: Of course, Twin! ILY</p>

<p>HBrown, What are your long term goals? Are you planning to attend Med school? If so, maintaining the desired 3.5 gpa is a difficult task for a Chemistry major at Cornell. The assistant dean of A&S informed us last year that they encouraged premed students to major in a liberal arts field and to take the pre-med prerequisites. I would strongly recommend that you attend the Cornell information sessions for admitted students and request that you talk directly with AA students majoring in Chemistry at Cornell.</p>

<p>Just because you apply as one major doesn’t mean you’re bound to it right? I’m counfused lol :/</p>

<p>@mouse, come and join us all at Cornell. It will be me, you, HBrown (maybe, I hope), and Bellanaija. On a serious note, I believe it depends on several factors, but I dont believe you can go wrong in either case. The quality of education will be very similar, while Cornell may have a little bit more prestige to its name due to the Ivy League thing. Cornell and Notre Dame have huge alumni networks that really takes care of their own, while Northwestern is just a great school.</p>

<p>I also got into those same schools and choosed Cornell because of their strong Biology Program, and due to the fact that 80% of their Biology Undergrads that wishes to go to medical school gets accepted. I feel so bad that I cant go to Northwestern, they are so nice there, and I kinda feel like I am betraying them if I dont go there (I know its weird). I dont care too much about Notre Dame, because they are very conservative there, and I am a raving liberal, lol. Have you visited all the schools? try to look up the sucesses of their business students after their graduation, look at their average earnings, also the students quality of life rating (happiness) at Cornell and Notre Dame are the same, while Northwestern is on the lower end (according to the Princeton review).</p>

<p>I spoke with HBrown already, so to Mouse and Bellanaija are any of you guys going to Diversity Days this week?</p>

<p>@honeyjay, Harvard and Princeton definately have the more prestige, but that is NOT everything. You should be aware that many students at those 2 schools think very highly of themselves and walk as though there S**t dont stink ( but who wouldn’t with a 7% acceptance rate, lol). I am sure that that is not a representation of the entire student body, but believe me that there is a lot of them like that. What type of personality you have? will you fit in? can you fit in with the harvard/Princeton swagger? If you can, I would pick one of those. Brown students seemed more down to earth (although they do have the Emma Watson choosed Brown factor), and the students appeared more normal to me. I visited all those school and was high on harvard/Princeton curriculum, but the students attitude was a C- for me. Brown open curriculum is an A+, but also remember that the economy down turn it Rhode Island really hard, and Rhode Island is one of the only two states with a population decline. Also, Brown is good for Liberal Arts type students. I didn’t like Columbia, because I hate big cities, do you like big cities? If you do, then Columbia is also a great choice. UPENN is in a somewhat rough neighborhood, but another great school, especially for Business, and the Wharton School of Business is one of the best in the world. I have no idea where or what kind of school Amherst is, they are definately not as well known as the others.
check out this link to see your salary potential.
<a href=“http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/ivy-league-schools.asp[/url]”>http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/ivy-league-schools.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>To my fellow Cornellians, the starting median income for the average Cornell grad is higher than the starting median income for the average Yale grad, so there you go Yale for not accepting me, LOL. The bright side is we are likely to earn six figures in our careers. Dartmouth was a huge surprise when I saw it.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/ivy-league-schools.asp[/url]”>http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/ivy-league-schools.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’ll be committing to Cornell, too!!! Hope to meet you all there :D</p>

<p>@Proud3894 I am planning on going to med school however I love chemistry. I would much rather have that as my focus because it is what I am more interested in and I want to study something that I love. I know that it is one of the more difficult majors to concentrate in but I sort of like that challenge. Its a toss up because I am considering transferring after my first year at Cornell and I know I need to do well. Hmmm, seems like I have a lot of decisions to make.</p>

<p>@HBrown,
I really think your happiness should be top priority, and if you dont believe you will be happy, there is a significant chance that you wont. Maybe, write down 10 things you are looking for most in a school and rank there importance, and choose the school that has most of what you are looking for.</p>

<p>@jamaica: Idk, we’ll have to see. I’m supposed to go to Cornell on the 7th, but we don’t have tickets and last minute might be a bit of a hassle so we’ll see. And since I’ve never been there before I can’t say how right it is for me but I will go there before my decision. Also, Notre Dame is just a huge plus for me, it actually has the business major meaning I can go straight into that rather than have to get an MBA to do what I really want. The people are nice, like at Northwestern but they party and have social lives at ND. lol. Vandy didn’t feel as close-knit as I would have liked. When I stayed at Notre Dame I got that “feeling” that I could be there for 4 years. The downside is how conservative it is, but I could get over that. So now I have to see what Cornell is like. For now, Cornell and Notre Dame are tied for 1st, Northwestern is 3rd and Vandy is 4th.</p>

<p>@Jamaica i am starting to warm up to the idea of attending Cornell. I am going to the Diversity Hosting so that will definitely help me make my decision.</p>

<p>Aww I am just amazed at how far everyone’s gone! All of you were accepted to amazing schools, and you all deserved it!!!</p>

<p>I’ve definitely gotten the “you-got-in-because-your-black”, but it’s not true, because in that case, every black applying to these universities would get in! And we definitely do not!</p>

<p>@beautifulnerd: We must figure out how to choose between them together! I’ll narrow down P/C with you, then try and figure out if I would choose it over Stanford. I’m actually shocked that I even had the opportunity to choose between them! :D</p>

<p>@ksarmand: I can’t help but be overly impressed with your acceptances! Congratulations! It must be extremely difficult choosing between Harvard/MIT/Princeton… Good luck deciding, haha!</p>

<p>@justadream92: Could you expand on why you chose Stanford over Princeton? You may have seen my other posts, I’m trying to decide between Stanford/Princeton/Columbia. Any help would be appreciated! :D</p>

<p>Do you guys happen to know if “commiting” later gives you less of a chance for the best dorms on campus?</p>

<p>@ jamaica.
lol your right. i definitely know alot of people at those schools are going to be stuck up.
I’m not entirely sure if I have that Harvard or Princeton swagga yet. So I’m defintely visiting both. </p>

<p>I’m from Chicago so a big city doesnt bother me…but I think New York might be a bit too much for me??? Hmm idk. I’m sad I won’t be able to visit. =(</p>

<p>@justadream92
You make NY sound great. && I thought Princeton was more undergraduate focused??</p>

<p>@ksarmand
i think im going to the harvard and princeton visit days!
my friend’s sister goes to pricneton & loves it. & ive heard about the grade deflation @ pricneton =(</p>

<p>@glitterz<em>iz</em>gold: I didn’t apply to MIT. :slight_smile: I’m only deciding between Harvard/Princeton/Columbia Scholars Program/UChicago, and am pretty much dead set on Harvard. Perhaps you were referring to Ms. Millancad?</p>

<p>@honeyjay: Which set of visiting days will you be attending? And as for me, I need a campus bigger than Columbia’s. I LOVE Harlem, but I don’t want to go to school there or in NYC in general. Just my take.</p>

<p>@glitterz<em>iz</em>gold: I chose stanford because it’s my dream school, and there are many reasons why …</p>

<p>1st and foremost, the quarter system. I love the fact that I’ll be able to take more classes at stanford than I’d be able to take at Princeton and also, the classes I don’t like will end relatively sooner =D</p>

<p>2nd; the undergraduate research opportunities, especially for frosh. A good friend of mine who now goes to Harvard law did research with his sociology professor as a freshman. He told me that the professors are always looking forward to doing groundbreaking research with their students and that their doors are always open. I want to do leadership analysis, focusing on asia and east africa so having that window to the pacific is also a big plus. Many of the professors who teach international relations there are the most knowledgeable and affluent leaders in asian and african studies.</p>

<p>3rd; the campus. I never physically visited stanford but from what I know via virtual touring is that the campus is absolutely stunning ! I couldn’t help getting pulled into the beautiful Spanish architecture, the fountains, gardens, massive palm trees, the foothills, crimson coated roofs and of course, the temperate weather that persists throughout much of the year. Yeah, I love my northeastern seasons but I just need to get away from it all … a change in scenery can do us all some good. Sure, I might end up going to an ivy for grad school but just spending 4 years in the west, away from the fast-paced and cluttered lifestyle of the northeast, will just be a phenomenal experience and a chance for me to just grow and mature. I may never get this chance again so I want to take advantage of the opportunity. Also, stanford is one of the highest ranking schools for being a green campus. Coming from new york and being interested in environmental science, that was a huge plus. A lot of people I’ve talked to are concerned about the “stanford bubble” and how dry palo alto is. But that might just be a good thing; stanford is its own micro-community and if I feel the urge to get away from time to time, ill just take the caltrain down to san fran </p>

<p>4th; the people and the vibe. This may all be hearsay because I have yet to experience the social scene for myself, but I heard that stanford really exemplifies that cali “chill and laidback” stereotype . I really like that people are academically conscious, yet the majority of the kids are like “dudee, just relax man. everything’s going to be alright (surfer dude voice)” lol. I’m a laidback person so that’s a great thing. Stanford does a great job at making sure that all of its students have a chance to be social butterflies, recognizing the fact that academics and social life are dual-priority. When I visited Princeton, the social life was terrible (to my specific tastes). I’m a very outgoing socialite and I just don’t think it’ll work out for me there. </p>

<p>5th; the BSU/student government. When I went on my college search, the strength of the BSU and the nature of the student government were big things to me. Stanford definitely has a great BSU, from what I hear, and AAs are represented relatively well, in comparison to the rest of the schools I applied to. I love diversity and learning about different groups; I think stanford has done a pretty good job in maintaining a 12% AA population, which is great because I get all of the diversity I want, yet I’ll still feel comfortable seeing people who look like me. On a side note, I was selected as a Ron Brown Scholar for 2010 and about 6 of us will potentially be matriculating to stanford, which is kind of weird lol. Also, I’m thinking about pledging APA next spring and I heard stanford, besides cornell, was the best place to do so. From what I’ve seen online, I’m very impressed with stanford’s student government system and I’m attracted to how active it is around campus. Student activism is very important to me.</p>

<p>6th; the sports and facilities. I’m not a recruit or anything. I’m just a pretty athletic guy. I’m looking forward to getting involved in Stanford AWESOME AWESOME intramurals; they have pretty much everything! (a little basketball, track, … hell, maybe even some fencing). From what I hear, intramurals and the facilities are very easy to get involved with. I love the rock climbing wall, which I’ve never heard of at any other school, and the Olympic sized pools also. State of the art gym equipment … heaven. The majority of the students are pretty fit though, especially from all of that biking and walking stanford students do. I like to hike and jog and the foothills surrounding the campus are ideal. What I really like is that although not all of the students are the athletic type, the majority of them participate in rallies and tailgating events for stanford’s amazing athletes … a lot of them go on to the Olympics =] . I love that sense of school spirit!</p>

<p>With Princeton and Stanford, it’ll be very hard to go wrong though. They both offer the star power, the academics and networking opportunities. It just comes down to your personality and what you want for yourself. </p>

<p>I’m sure that when I go to admit weekend in 3 weeks, I’ll find even more things I love about stanford and things that I don’t like about it. BUT, keep in mind that I haven’t committed yet. The alumni at my hs from ‘09 are urging me to visit Princeton (again; I‘ll be staying overnight this time and I‘ll be sitting in on classes), Brown and Georgetown, regardless of how much I love stanford. They keep telling me that my overnight visits can either bend me all the way over to stanford, or they may even bend me the opposite way. But (as of now) I’ll most likely be going to stanford … we’ll see in may . </p>

<p>@honeyjay: Princeton cares for its undergrads of course ! But I’m just a bit skeptical (and biased). But while I was on campus, the students kept telling me that a lot of the professors were more into their private projects instead of lecturing their students, which led to a lot of TAs filling in. That really turned me off . when I visit for the Review, I guess I’ll get a firsthand account of the whole thing.</p>

<p>You guys aren’t very open to newbies. It’s okay. I get it. :)</p>