2021 Pre-Screen Thread

@threesix congratulations to you guys!!!

1 Like

Thank you! Maybe our boys will both win the lottery and get second auditions, and they can meet there in person :wink:

2 Likes

Got a yes for prescreen (voice) at CMU- phew. That one was stressful since the notifications were supposed to be out yesterday! (turns out they were out yesterday, on the portal, but the notifications to emails were delayed-- lesson learned there!)

All done with that part now- on to the auditions! yikes.
Deep breaths, all.

8 Likes

Can you share what you think the appropriate audition attire is. My daughter does not think it’s appropriate to have a full concert attire and I have a hard time choosing. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

I believe that your D is a VP candidate. I’m not sure if full concert attire means a black concert gown. That is not necessary or common. For college auditions, she should wear a “classy” and definitely comfortable “easy to breath in” dress.

One friend already in college gave my D this advice: don’t be afraid to show a little personality in color/dress … as long as its neat, age appropriate and fits well. Of course be careful that shoes are not too high and should be closed toe. Jewelry should not be large and distracting. Hair should be neat.

Others can add in…bc it has been some time since my D auditioned.

Thank you!

For VP, a nice age appropriate dress. Not too short. Generally knee length or lower (judges sit in the front row and student is on stage so length matters). Color is fine but not too big a print. The focus should go on the student. Not the attire. As @bridgenail said, no chunky jewelry or large earrings. My D wore a large earring to an audition at Bard for her MM. Stephanie Blythe was the “judge”. Before she sang a note, Ms Blythe asked her to take off the earrings as they were distracting. D won’t make that mistake again! Phew. Note that mezzos can sometimes get away with pants (like a jumpsuit) as long as it is dressy and relatively conservative. But choose something that they feel confident and comfortable in! Good luck!!!

1 Like

S (BM Cello) passed his prescreening at Juilliard. He received an email to check the portal around 3:20 PM PST.

9 Likes

Received our final preaudition pass to a final audition - Bard (trombone performance, classical, undergrad). Good luck everyone!

8 Likes

my mezzo wore a nice black jumpsuit. Most sopranos we saw had on knee length black dresses

Thank you!
I also have another question. Any ideas on where to stay when we come to auditions to Juilliard?

There is a 1 train right outside of the building. If you stay anywhere on the west side that is near a subway with a 1 it should be easy. There are no hotels very nearby but there are tons of nice places on central park south and some on 57th street by Mount Sinai West hospital.

Hello, I noticed that your son was vocal and has some of the same school auditions that my son has currently.
We have done:
TCU
Rice
Berklee
DePaul 2/17
Northwestern 2/18
Manhattan S of M 2/27
Curtis 2/25
U of Houston 3/4

He has gotten in at TCU and Berklee but have not heard yet on Rice.

I wanted to reach out and pick your brain on where your son ended up and how the process went. We have MSM and Curtis coming up soon so really curious on your Curtis experience.

Thanks

Sending you a PM.