7 pm UA reception @ Texas Motor Speedway....eat dinner before or no?

Excited about the reception but it will be a beatdown in traffic and on a school night. I’ve read a few posts about these receptions and it seems to be mixed…some have light snacks and some sound like they are a full meal. Any ideas about a 7pm reception?

Motor Speedway? kinda strange venue it would seem, but I assume it is in a room within a complex?

@Atlanta68 …yes, it looks like it is one of the nice entertainment/corporate suites.

Here in Chicago area it was substantial finger-food (not a meal)…but Texas?..probably a whole hang-off-the-plate spread?! :wink: Maybe call or email your local recruiter and ask for more specifics. If you’re going to battle traffic, I would say eat ahead of time, regardless.

The New York reception featured many appetizers being served by waitstaff including crab cakes, pizza, " pigs in a blanket", beef sliders, mini quiche and other tidbits, (sorry, I can’t remember them all). in addition, there was a vast array of sweet finger foods and desserts, a wide variety of different cheeses, crackers, breads, and fruits and nuts, a coffee & tea station and a beverage station with various sodas and waters ( all bottled).

I guess it depends on one’s appetite, but the Philly reception we attended two years ago had plenty of good food to fill up on. And if you’re really hungry, you can always eat the decorative oranges they use as garnishes like my son did, not realizing their intended purpose! :smiley:

Well, we in Phoenix happened to have the reception the day before the Tide won the National Championship. Saban brought on the Steaks, gulf coast (gump) shrimp, pacific salmon and atlantic cod. Okay, there were cheese sticks…:slight_smile:

Just checking in after the event:
-it was in a huge suite overlooking the track at the Texas Motor Speedway
-speaker was great, enthusiastic
-great food…chicken, veggies, quesadillas and a dessert bar
-good to hear a student speaker and a parent also give their perspectives
-good for my daughter to see a friend there from a rival school across town who is ranked in the top ten. Her sister is at UA on a full-ride/National Merit scholarship and talked to my D at length about how her sister loves it there and she may be attending as well
-finally, as the mom of a kid who has always been passionate about academics, it was super nice to for a school to kind of “court” these kids. The athletes at our schools always seem to get the most attention and it was just nice to see the kids who care about academics get some good attention. There seem to be lots of schools (is this a Southern football thing??) who “say” they put money back into academics, but I get the impression UA really pumps the $$ back into courting these kids.
-giving the kids a nice “Comfort Colors” (i.e. thick, soft, not cheap) t-shirt at the end was a nice touch

^ thank you for sharing after the event! that’s what is so helpful about UA’s CC forum: people posting their questions before, and then coming back and posting useful info afterwards for others.

@carachel2 Thanks for the update, glad that both you and your daughter found the event helpful.

Yes, thanks for coming back and sharing your daughter’s and your experience. Good luck to her, whatever she decides!

I sure hope you enjoyed the student and parent speaker , I thought Dean Karr was outstanding. :"> Roll Tide! I have pictures of the venue. Wish there was a way to post.

@TexasMomalso …were you the speaker or was your son the speaker?

I was the parent speaker. I was very nervous the first night and got feedback I should have spoken closer to microphone, If you would like to hear the speech from the second night send me a private message and I will give you the link, Roll Tide!

@TexasMomalso …you did a great job! It was a huge room and we were more towards the back but we could hear you easily.