A few questions about VTs co-op program...

<p>It doesn't seem to be as big of a program as it is at many other universities. It seems that a pretty small percent of even engineers participate in this program. </p>

<p>On thing that concerns me is the idea that you don't really have the option of doing work closeby. I think it is great that they provide you with an archive of where people went to work, city and company, seperated by each person in each major. But really, isn't it wierd moving to a new city with a new job, a new apartment, and not knowing anybody? I mean I guess the situation could be amazing, but at the same time it could be a nightmare if you get a bad co-op or something.</p>

<p>Another thing that concerns me... are you able to rent apartments in VT with the expectation that you will be gone from x to x month on your co-op, avoiding a termed lease? Can you reserve your apartment, or are you left with whatever is left when you come back? I think all this stuff is definitely important in any co-oper's decision regarding Virginia Tech.</p>

<p>PS: I like the first term wages of co-opers at VT, they seem to all be in the 15-16 dollar range for engineers, which is pretty damn good.</p>

<p>I will be doing a co-op this fall with General Electric Aircraft Engines in Cincinnati. I have a lot of friends in engineering who will also be doing co-ops, and I'm not sure where you got the idea that it's not a big program here. Our career services is one of the best aspects of our university, and the fact that so many top-tier companies recruit here make our co-op program very popular.</p>

<p>To address your second question, there are MANY co-ops available close to Blacksburg. I get e-mails daily from my advisor on the engineering listserv for internships/co-ops around Roanoke, Blacksburg, Salem, etc. as well as a multitude of other locations.</p>

<p>If you want to work for one of the more respected companies like Boeing, GE, IBM, etc., you will most likely be located a few hours away from campus or more. That's just how it is, and I personally am incredibly excited about being in Cincinnati this fall for the whole experience. It probably sounds weird when you're in high school, and I'm sure I would've felt the same way, but once you get into the swing of college and everything, your horizons broaden and it doesn't seem that crazy.</p>

<p>You can sub-lease your apartment while you are gone so you don't have to pay for it while on co-op. I'm pretty sure that's how it would be for most universities' off-campus housing while on co-op.</p>

<p>Finally, with respect to wages... yes VT engineers get paid a whole lot for co-ops. I will personally be making 17/hour as well as getting housing / travel completely paid for.</p>

<p>Well that sounds good. I just saw the charts online and the numbers seemed low to me as far as numbers of co-ops. Of course I don't have exact numbers of engineering students, but give or take 50 or 100 from each field of engineering doesn't seem like a whole lot at a large tech school. After thinking it over, though Im not quite 100% positive about it, it would be cool to have the option of moving somewhere new such as Texas, California, or even somewhere in the southeast or northeast that is new to me.</p>

<p>Stunna,
Can you give me the link for these charts?</p>

<p>My son and I visited this week here are some numbers as to the number of Engineeing undergrads (approx 5,500 Total):</p>

<p>Engineering Education (Freshman) 1734
Aerospace 355
Biological Systems 69
Chemical 135
Civil and Environmental 502
Computer 320
Comuter Sceince 479
Electrical 408
Engineering Sceince and Mechanics 95
Industrial and Systems 321
Material Sceince and Engineering 65
Mechanical 806
Mining and Minerals 124
Ocean 65</p>

<p>Maybe this is why you see low nombers for co-ops.</p>

<p>OK I figured it out. It is probably my mistake.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.career.vt.edu/scripts/CICurrentEmployers/CurrentEmployers.asp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.career.vt.edu/scripts/CICurrentEmployers/CurrentEmployers.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>That link shows places, and Im sure companies like Exxon take multiple people. I thought that was a list per person. Anyone have any states on percent that do co-op?</p>