recruiting, networking, etc.

<p>Hi, I'd like to know how active/effective the career placement office is, whether VT alums network with new grads, how extensive is the recruiting on campus, etc. Any information is welcomed. Thanks, and happy new year.</p>

<p>This is just from hearsay (we haven’t had one to graduate yet :)), but supposedly the networking among VT employers is strong, especially in certain majors and regions of the country. </p>

<p>Will you be hired by a VT alum solely because you are a VT graduate? Probably not. Will you possibly get an interview (maybe over someone from another school) because you are a VT graduate? Hopefully. In the end, it will be up to you to sell yourself no matter what school you attend. </p>

<p>It is a great school to attend. Good luck in your search!</p>

<p>I can’t speak as to the post-grad work that they do, but I do know that for engineering majors the job placement and recruiting that the University puts on is amazing. Literally hundreds of companies come to campus every year for the engineering career fair, not even counting the companies that hold interviews on campus but don’t come to the fair.</p>

<p>I received my job offer, in NOVEMBER, from a firm in DC for $55,000+ 3 bonus packages and a 3,000 signing bonus. Tech grads are in high demand for their hard work ethic, people skills and education. I’m an accountant, our program chimes in at 24th I believe.</p>

<p>I’m from Richmond and have talked to many people within the engineering field here. The vast majority of engineers in the Richmond area are from Tech. Techies kinda gravitate toward each other. I’ve shadowed at an engineering company before and I would venture to guess that 9/10 people came form Tech. Those who didn’t were, jokingly of course, looked down upon and made fun of. The occasional UVA grads and such were FAR outnumbered by Techies. That being said and talking to numerous others I would think its safe to say that networking is highly productive/available.</p>

<p>Plus Tech is like the biggest school in the state (UVA comes close but Tech still holds it own). And ALL of the great state schools like UIUC, Purdue, and UT have excellent networking opportunities. So I don’t see how Tech could be any different.</p>

<p>Just don’t think that because you’re from Tech you will automatically be hired. You still need to be recruitable. Chuy goes there so whatever he says should be respected.</p>

<p>Well, I don’t know if what I say should be respected but I’ll settle for considered, haha.</p>

<p>One thing I’ve noticed, and again this is going to be engineering related because that’s what I do, is that a lot of networking is regional. What I mean by that is, if you’re trying to get a job with an engineering company around Virginia (and there are several, especially in the NOVA/DC/MD area) it is highly likely that there will be multiple VT grads there. Like GoOakland said, that doesn’t make you a sure-thing, but it gives you a good initial line of communication and it does help. If you go to the midwest, though, there are going to be more grads from schools like Purdue. Go down to the deep south and there are probably a lot of GT grads. </p>

<p>That doesn’t mean that you can’t get jobs in the midwest, south, or anywhere else on the continent (I’ll be working in Canada), but there will probably be more opportunities in the region of your school. That sounds like common sense but it’s something to think about if you’re applying to schools located in a region you wouldn’t want to live in.</p>

<p>Pamplin Business school has a great career fair in the fall for internships and job interviews. It is a 2 day event and this year about 100 companies attended. Son is currently doing an internship because of this.</p>