A&M Egineering at Galveston

I have received my admission to first year engineering at Galveston too!
I think I will study at Galveston for the first year instead of going to OSU because the TAMU engineering rank is higher than OSU engineering.
I am also a international student.

@charlesyen what are you planning to pursue?

@Mech123 TAIWAN

@Mech123 The general engineering program at Texas A&M is in its first year, currently.
Galveston is considered part of A&M so you are still an Aggie, as opposed to an A&M system school around the state.
As a general engineering student, you will take your first year (freshman) courses at the Galveston campus instead of the College Station campus.

Then, in the spring of your second semester (around the first part of April) all freshmen (in Galveston and College Station) will “apply to a major”. Decisions are released in June. Here is a description on Entry to A Major (ETAM) at Galveston for the current class https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/engineering-at-galveston-program/engineering-at-galveston-students-class-of-2020

When you apply, you will list up to 5 engineering majors in order of preference. If you have a GPA of 3.5 or better, you will automatically get your first choice. Below a 3.5, and every application is reviewed by the department, beginning with your first choice. Your first choice can accept you into the major or send the file to your second choice and so on.
Here is the analyisis of the last apply to major cycle for each major. For Mechanical, the top GPA was a 4.0 and the lowest GPA accepted was a 2.5. Also, 90% of the applicants got their first choice major.

You will then automatically (you do not need to officially transfer) go to the College Station campus for your sophomore year and onward.

A heads up though. If you are considering Galveston, you only have until March 1 to apply for priority housing. I would do that right away. Then, if you decide to go elsewhere, you will need to decline your admissions offer from TAMUG and you will be refunded the housing deposit fee. The housing application fee is non refundable. http://tamug.edu/reslife/Housing/Apply.html

If you accept your offer at Galveston, you need to do this: https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/engineering-at-galveston/next-steps

@Thelma2 , Thanks for continuing to guide these new admits to engineering Galveston. TAMU really, really needs to do a much better job explaining what the Galveston program entails! It’s a great opportunity for those not admitted to College Station to get there without the difficulties of a transfer and end up with the degree they wanted.

Thanks @Thelma2

Thanks, @Thelma2 . I’m glad to hear that your son is enjoying A&M after not getting UT. The whole acceptance process seems so random. My son has a friend who is in top 10% at the same high school with my son (who is in 30% ) and yet he was accepted at CS and still hasn’t heard from UT, which is where he really wants to go. Who knows what the whole reasoning is behind acceptance and denial, but we all have to trust that our kids will end up where they should be!

@123vca - have you found out if students can change their major? My son wants to do that but I don’t think it’s a good idea. If my son brings it up again, I will explain that the whole point is to be an engineer, and not risk that by turning down admittance into engineering just so he can spend his freshman year at CS, not TAMUG.

@2021MomHouston - thanks for the info on fish camp. I had not heard of that. We still need to visit TAMUG in person, but we were less-than-impressed looking at it on Google satellite yesterday!
I agree with you - I don’t think the risk of transferring is worth it. I think for us it comes down to whether he wants to take a chance on not ending up at CS if he spends his freshman year at UT. Big decisions!

I have been told by admission counselors that major can not be changed. I completely agree with you about the importance of understanding the ramifications of changing majors. Does your son have a “change major” option on his Howdy page?

Yes, I checked under “active applications” and he has the option to change his major. I didn’t click on it though…

Aggie Engineering Day at Galveston is March 2! Registration required. You can register via the Next Steps link
https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/engineering-at-galveston/next-steps

Also, housing priority is until March 1. If you/your applicant decides to attend elsewhere, you have until May 1 to decline the Engineering at Galveston admissions and get a refund on the housing deposit. The $50 housing application fee is not refundable. http://tamug.edu/reslife/Housing/Apply.html

Under “manage applications”? Nothing happens if you click on it. It will give you a statement agreement, and if you click the agree box, it will take you to another page to submit changes. we have not gone any further

How many students were admitted to Engineering @ Galveston for fall 2017?

My understanding is 800 students have been offered Engineering@ Galveston, and 300 students (out of the 800) accept.

Thanks!
300 is about what I was guessing. We were not able to attend Preview Day, so would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone who went.

What is the diversity in the campus? In terms of international students

@Mech123 Data for Fall 2016 https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/EPFA16.aspx Use the page numbers on the document itself.
Page 1 shows that there were 18 international students in Galveston. College Station had 5180.
Page 2 shows 1216 international undergraduate for all campuses combined.
Page 4 shows that 6 international were undergraduate in Galveston out of a 2009 student body
Page 49 shows how many international were in which major (Cstat)
Page 137 shows international students from each country Page 4 shows Galveston demographics. According to the document, there were 6 international students at the Galveston in Fall of 2016, out of 2009 student body.
Total of all campuses, there were 1216 undergraduate international students out of a total 5130 (all levels) international students.