About TCU?

<p>Yeah I heard about Pi Kapp, they sound great, definitely one I’d want to pledge in if i decide to go to TCU!</p>

<p>Yea, I will probably pledge for Pi Kapp as well… So how does the whole fratt housing work?</p>

<p>Is greek life really important to TCU? I got accepted with a good scholarship, and I’m interested in attending, but I have NO interest in sorority life whatsoever. Is that out of the norm, or will I still be able to have a pretty active social life?</p>

<p>BUC I think is really BUX, which is a christian fraternity: Brothers Under Christ. It is a non residential fraternity, but a great group of 100+ guys. They often win the “float” award for the homecoming parade and are involved in many campus activities. Their parties are ususally “alcohol free.”</p>

<p>TCU is a great school. Very heavily Greek-oriented, but you definitely don’t have to be involved in a fraternity or a sorority to have fun, unless you are worried about fitting in with the majority of campus. Although it says only 40% is Greek, it feels like much more. I came in not planning on joining a sorority, but eventually did because all the friends I made were Greek.</p>

<p>For guys, Pi Kapp is considered a good fraternity. They take about half nerdy guys who don’t party to get their grades up and half guys that like to party. They are the only fraternity that doesn’t have an alcohol fund (besides BYX of course) so if you don’t drink/party this would be the best option. Most of the guys are really nice. </p>

<p>For girls, it doesn’t matter if you are in a sorority or not or what sorority you are in. They all have different stereotypes but no one is going to judge you much differently depending on what you join. Personally, I would recommend Theta, Sigma Kappa, or Gamma Phi because I relate to girls who are down to earth, friendly, care about grades, and not all about money and reputation. These would be my picks for “nicest” sororities, most like the girl versions of Pi Kapp.</p>

<p>Greek parties are usually in venues off campus and are called mixers because they will have them with other fraternities or sororities, although fraternities occasionally have smaller parties in the houses with just their brothers and whatever girls they invite. TCU is not a dry campus, you can have alcohol if you are 21.</p>

<p>There is always HIS or BYX if you are interested in being involved in a christian organization. APO is the volunteer fraternity, and there are fraternities for different ethnic groups and majors as well. There are plenty of other ways to get involved also so don’t feel like you have to be Greek to make friends.</p>

<p>Perks of TCU: Beautiful campus, seriously THE nicest employees you will EVER meet (get to know Lieu in the BLUU, see seriously knows everyones name by memory and is the nicest lady ever), extremely helpful professors, way nicer residence halls than most larger colleges, strong community feel, friendly students, most classes that I have taken at least have not been too challenging, but it really just depends on your major, and Fort Worth is a great city with tons to do. Billy Bobs on Thursday night is a must. Parties at the Ridglea, Aardvark, Old Rips, and other nearby places almost every weekend. Down the street from the Cultural district, botanical gardens, water gardens, and the FW zoo. Amazing football team.</p>

<p>Downside is that a large percentage of students are well off, and the student body is not extremely diverse. Low attendance at sports games other than football. The other side of campus is close to a not-so-good part of FW so be careful when going down Berry. Horrible parking, I would not suggest commuting unless you absolutely have to. Can be intimidating for females because all the girls are SO pretty and there are more girls than guys. Of course, that’s a plus for the guys. :wink: </p>

<p>Hope that answers all your questions. Message me if you want to know anything else.</p>

<p>I got accepted into the Honors College a week or so ago. I would just like an Honors student’s thoughts on the program? Pros and Cons of it?</p>

<p>Hey stlsportsfan, I also have a question for you. What were your stats like for getting into their Honors program and what other schools did you apply to/were accepted into? Thanks</p>

<p>thanks so much TCUgirl! sounds like a great school. I actually got offered a free trip to come see the campus, so ill be out there over spring break to see for myself! I am very excited, and hope all your descriptions are true! Thanks for taking the time to write such a great response :D</p>

<p>I have a 3.82 gpa at probably the most competitive private school in my area and I had a 34 on my ACT. I had a good mix of sports and leadership activities as well. I applied to about 10 schools just to be safe, but I am mainly considering TCU, Wash U, and Notre Dame. I was deferred from ND in Early Action but I feel pretty confident I should make it in. I’m really excited about the Honors College though and living in Texas. Tough decisions!</p>

<p>stlsportsfan you are obviously very smart. Hard to believe Notre Dame did not see your brilliance. Good luck.</p>

<p>Haha, thanks wsd. It was tough seeing other similar friends getting EA acceptance while I didn’t though.</p>

<p>What is the quality of the Biology Department at TCU? At my campus visit there the student panels had a tendency towards the non sciences; business majors, education majors, history and music. </p>

<p>I just returned from a 2 day visit at U. Miami and there was a lot of emphasis on the sciences, biology, neuroscience, premed programs. </p>

<p>Can anyone offer a comparison the Biology Departments and pre health programs between TCU and U. Miami?</p>

<p>ShuzKelly, I believe you may be referring to BYX. BYX (pronounced “bucks”) is the male Christian fraternity. It is not a member of the IFC, nor do they have a house on campus, but they guys are really sweet and known for being gentlemen! </p>

<p>SEAviator, Pi Kapps (Pi Kappa Phi) are really great guys. They have high grades and they are definitely known for being down to earth. They party but it definitely doesn’t seem as if it is a necessity for every member of their fraternity. Sig Eps (Sigma Phi Epsilon) is also a great fraternity that has an excellent academic reputation as well as fun parties and polite guys.</p>

<p>hmm how diverse do yall think fraternities are? I mean, i rarely see any non-white fraternity members, do yall think it would be harder to get a bid from a fraternity if you are not white? Dumb question I know, but I’m still curious.</p>

<p>Not planning on going greek…will be a freshman art student next fall and am trying to decided on a dorm request. Considering Waits. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>What sororities at TCU accept SOPHOMORES who go through recruitment in the fall?</p>

<p>yes
but I have heard that your grades REALLY matter if you are a sophomore</p>

<p>My son is interested in air force rotc at tcu. (Haven’t visited yet). Can anyone tell me about it? Also, he is not interested in frats - will this be a problem.</p>

<p>no ~ there is a group and fun to be had in every area at TCU!</p>

<p>I wanted to ask about good dorms for freshmen. Do various dorms have various reputations?</p>